Why is Media Studies looked down on so much?

Watch
_jarv_
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Why is Media Studies looked down on so much? It relates to everything - TV, Films, Music, Computer games, The news, Newspapers, Radio..... Literally everyone I know is interested in Media in one way or another. So why is it considered Mickey Mouse?

Subjects like History should be Mickey Mouse - The past is gone, so the subject is completely useless!
catzilla
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by _jarv_)
Why is Media Studies looked down on so much? It relates to everything - TV, Films, Music, Computer games, The news, Newspapers, Radio..... Literally everyone I know is interested in Media in one way or another. So why is it considered Mickey Mouse?

Subjects like History should be Mickey Mouse - The past is gone, so the subject is completely useless!
I know right, I did media studies GCSE and it was tough! Literally had to write 3 essays about the news which I hardly watch and talk about loads of dead people. .... Totally underestimated.
dlwilson97
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Story of my life... Spent the last two years convincing people that I find A2 Film Studies and A2 Media Studies harder than A2 Maths.
RoastedElephant
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Media is the most important subject to take at A-level. One of the few where you get some practical experience. You also learn quite a few important skills like: how to use photoshop, illustrator and video editing software. You learn how to make websites, design newspapers. You also learn a great deal about why the media push an agenda and how they do it. It teaches you to pay more attention and notice things in media that try to trick you and manipulate your thinking. Media is everything, so a course on media covers just about everything, that's why it's so important.
AwesomeSauce#1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tbh i dont know why its not respected, to me its either got to do with the pay that can be expected from pursuing media or just the repect for STEM subjects. I did GCSE Media studies and it was kinda hard and i did learn some actual usefull skills with photoshop and illustrator.
IamLiquid
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Because most people with a media studies degree go on to low paid work that does not require a degree.

For example, I was just watching BBC Breakfast and a girl said she got A*A*B and was going to Lancaster to study Media and Cultural Studies. Lancaster is ranked 4th for Communication & Media Studies, but if you look at the stats the average salary is £14,000, 41% not in a professional job and 10% unemployed.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...+Media+Studies

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Subjec...07768FT-000590
Man.bear.pig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Exactly. So it's harder to really secure a stellar or stable career. I'd rather be an unsigned grime rapper gigging at primary schools
And ironically the people studying Media would be the "lucky" bunch filiming it and putting on their ****e podcast.
Youth Uprising
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol I saw that and couldn't stop laughing at how silly she is. 27000 + debt and a useless degree.
_jarv_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Youth Uprising)
Lol I saw that and couldn't stop laughing at how silly she is. 27000 + debt and a useless degree.
Can I just ask (this is to everyone) how is a Media degree more useless than a History degree?

People are saying Media has a lack of jobs, or lack of well-paid jobs. But what about History? What well paid jobs are in that??

A History teacher yes, but you can also have a Media teacher!
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It shouldn't be. Media studies is very hard.
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Proxenus)
It shouldn't be. Media studies is very hard.
explain? lol
Proxenus
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Man.bear.pig)
explain? lol
no explanation
Man.bear.pig
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Proxenus)
no explanation
you are beautifully annoying.
username1921011
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because apparently people who take media studies think that history is a mickey mouse subject so it speaks to their level of general intelligence. History is crucial to understanding the past which creates a framework for the future as we learn from that which happened before. Now I'm finished being facetious, I think the problem with media studies is though it covers a lot of stuff it doesnt (from my experiences) teach anything which can bring about crucial intellectual advances or reframe accepted paradigms. It's about looking at what we know and breaking it down, a lot of other subjects add critical analysis to this system but media doesnt appear to in any significant sense

Posted from TSR Mobile
Declan Carey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I work in media and had to learrn how to shoot good video footage and how to use software such as Photoshop the hard way. Media Studies A level would have been really useful to me if I had taken it.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Broscientist)
Because it is the path of least resistance that ultimately leads to nowhere.
Unless you end up using the experience and qualifications you got from studying Media to get into one of the many (or so I would imagine) hundreds of jobs that are media relevant.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Oh lord. The pain.
_jarv_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Broscientist)
Because it is the path of least resistance that ultimately leads to nowhere.
What does History lead to job-wise?

Seriously, I asked this many posts ago and nobody has answered. That says something.

Even my career adviser said that there are no careers in History, except a History teacher. (And you can be a Media teacher so what's the difference?)

Because History is a "traditional" subject, society has been brainwashed into thinking it's useful. I find this ******ed.
username1494226
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because it's a soft course and so many flaming people do it. It's a devalued degree with little application in the work space. It's not an in demand field. Hence, for the majority, it will be a complete waste of time. Only a few will truly benefit
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can I just ask (this is to everyone) how is a Media degree more useless than a History degree?

People are saying Media has a lack of jobs, or lack of well-paid jobs. But what about History? What well paid jobs are in that??

A History teacher yes, but you can also have a Media teacher!
Many company's don't hire media graduates journalism is a better bet if you want a job in that industry

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads