The Student Room Group

Feel stuck in life, worry about stigma, don't know what is best, just wanted advice:/

Don't be too harsh on me as I already feel bad about it and can understand how 'pathetic it may be but I just try not to think about it. Basically I'm a 29 year old and still live with parents. During my late teens and early twenties I experienced anxiety and kept quitting jobs etc but I gained more confidence (didn't get treatment or anything) and it went away. I applied to study occupational therapy but didn't get on. In my mid twenties I started working on hospital wards and did training to become a nurse even though I didn't really want to my family consists if nurses and told me to go for it, that it was my last chance to make something of myself so I did it and completed the training. All the way through it though I knew that I really wanted to do OT so I thought sod it, I need to do what satisfies me in life and so I applied and got on to study OT at uni.

I've been working part time so although I live at home I do support myself and contribute to the household. I start university again soon even though I'm probably way too old I just want to do what I want to do and start living, try to save for a mortgage then move out. Since the uni I am starting is close to where I live and I have pets which I cannot take to rented accomodation, I'm going to have to live at home through uni again! It's all my own fault Ive just had no 'go' in me in life but I really don't know what's for the best and it's getting me down. I want to train to become an OT but am worried about the stigma and things I'm missing out on in life by living at home at my age for another 3 years. I realise this may shock some people a lot younger than me who have already moved out but I just wanted advice. Am I doing myself that much of a disservice that I should consider getting rid of the pets to get my own home, even though I'd hate to do this? Would you say that I am wasting life by not getting my own home at my age, I don't see much of my parents as I'm out the house most of the day anyway and just come home at night after work and my sports training but still I worry about the shame and stigma that comes along with it! It really makes me feel trapped and u sure what to do.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Don't be too harsh on me as I already feel bad about it and can understand how 'pathetic it may be but I just try not to think about it. Basically I'm a 29 year old and still live with parents. During my late teens and early twenties I experienced anxiety and kept quitting jobs etc but I gained more confidence (didn't get treatment or anything) and it went away. I applied to study occupational therapy but didn't get on. In my mid twenties I started working on hospital wards and did training to become a nurse even though I didn't really want to my family consists if nurses and told me to go for it, that it was my last chance to make something of myself so I did it and completed the training. All the way through it though I knew that I really wanted to do OT so I thought sod it, I need to do what satisfies me in life and so I applied and got on to study OT at uni.

I've been working part time so although I live at home I do support myself and contribute to the household. I start university again soon even though I'm probably way too old I just want to do what I want to do and start living, try to save for a mortgage then move out. Since the uni I am starting is close to where I live and I have pets which I cannot take to rented accomodation, I'm going to have to live at home through uni again! It's all my own fault Ive just had no 'go' in me in life but I really don't know what's for the best and it's getting me down. I want to train to become an OT but am worried about the stigma and things I'm missing out on in life by living at home at my age for another 3 years. I realise this may shock some people a lot younger than me who have already moved out but I just wanted advice. Am I doing myself that much of a disservice that I should consider getting rid of the pets to get my own home, even though I'd hate to do this? Would you say that I am wasting life by not getting my own home at my age, I don't see much of my parents as I'm out the house most of the day anyway and just come home at night after work and my sports training but still I worry about the shame and stigma that comes along with it! It really makes me feel trapped and u sure what to do.

Hey, it's never too late to start living your life. Also, you should only move out if you in yourself feel independent enough to do so. You shouldn't feel pressured to do so by some supposed "social stigma" or whatever. Everybody develops and lives life at their own pace :smile:
Don't over think everything, all you have to do is ask yourself 'is this making me happy?' And your decisions are made. I've suffered with anxiety too and I know it can be hard to believe in yourself, but dont give up! There's already something amazing in going back to uni and following your dreams. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by markreed
Hey, it's never too late to start living your life. Also, you should only move out if you in yourself feel independent enough to do so. You shouldn't feel pressured to do so by some supposed "social stigma" or whatever. Everybody develops and lives life at their own pace :smile:

Thanks, it's not that I don't feel independant I felt confident enough years ago so I can't blame it on the anxiety now but the last few years it's just been for financial reasons and convenience really as I've been studying. Just wish I could be 20 again I would have done things so much differently, although I suppose anxiety would have still held me back in some way.
Original post by Anonymous

I think all of your worries are based on how you think other people view you and honestly, you should not care. Do what is right for you. If that means staying with your parents a while longer until you qualify, then so be it.

I'm mid-twenties and at home - I actually really enjoy it, I get to spend time with my parents and I'm making the most of that. Like you, I've had a lot of jobs and I did another degree which I graduated from a few years ago but it was the wrong one. So I'm doing another degree which will mean that I qualify (also in a health care profession like you) when I'm 29. There's no way that I could do this degree without living at home with family because financially it would be impossible and there's no way that I could just not do the degree because I want the career it leads to and I can only get there via a degree.

So I know that I'll still be at home by the time I'm 29 and for a while I had a bit of a complex about that but now I see the bigger picture - I'll have a career and a good enough salary to be independent and that's what matters. Imagine if you or I decided not to go to uni and get careers, where would we be? In dead end jobs for the rest of our lives. So personally, I don't care what people may or may not think of me - I'm ensuring that I have a career in the long term and couldn't care less about getting a rented flat and doing min wage jobs for the rest of my life just to appear 'normal'.

A lot of people in their 20s/30s are living at home because property is so expensive, so it's not as uncommon as you might think. Forget what people might think and do what's best for you :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest