Would you employ someone with tattoos? Watch

Sparadrap2106
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I feel like a lot of social stigma has surrounded tattoos for a while. They used to be uncommon and were typically viewed as pretty badass but now they're popular, especially with young adults, and there are the 'basic girl' tattoos such as anchors and infinity symbols which some people view as stupid. So, would you allow someone's personal body art affect your judgement of them from an employer's angle?
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends on the role and the tattoos. Mostly i don't care, but I'm probably not having someone with tattoos visible in work attire deal with customers or clients, unless my customers and clients aren't the sort who would be put off by tattoos.
somemightsay888
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Facial tattoo's are immediate rejection, all of them are awful imo. The rest I wouldn't mind but depending on the job I may not want them to be visible
thecatwithnohat
Report 4 years ago
Facial tattoos could make some customers feel a bit intimidated/uncomfortable so if they had those, nope.

Large and inappropriate tattoos in places which are visible aka. on wrists, hands, neck etc. then nope.
orange crush
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A couple of visible tattoos (for example on wrists or back of neck) is fine, just don't have any on your face or be covered in them.

Surely it would be illegal to discriminate?
gemmam
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Tattoos that are either on the face or offensive/inappropriate - no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TornadoGR4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by orange crush)
A couple of visible tattoos (for example on wrists or back of neck) is fine, just don't have any on your face or be covered in them.

Surely it would be illegal to discriminate?
Nope. Employers reserve the right to reject applicants if they have a tattoo which is of an obscene nature or in a place they don't seem fit.

I was going to get a tattoo but decided to put it off until I was out of my basic training. I only wanted something on the side of my ribs but even then, with it being out of sight, it'd add some unnecessary paperwork & delays.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
Facial tattoos could make some customers feel a bit intimidated/uncomfortable so if they had those, nope.
What if black people make your customers uncomfortable? Would you hire a black person?

I don't really see the difference to be honest and non racist employers (or racist) would use the same line of reasoning in a less enlightened time, or certain parts of America right now I guess...
thecatwithnohat
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
What if black people make your customers uncomfortable?
I'm pretty sure you have the option to choose whether you want tattoos on your face, whereas black people can't control the fact that they're black. Whether tattoos will be accepted or not depends on the client, and the place in which the person was working at.
TornadoGR4
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What if black people make your customers uncomfortable? Would you hire a black person?

I don't really see the difference to be honest and non racist employers (or racist) would use the same line of reasoning in a less enlightened time, or certain parts of America right now I guess...
People don't choose to be black but people choose to get tattoos
JustGeorgeJ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sparadrap2106)
I feel like a lot of social stigma has surrounded tattoos for a while. They used to be uncommon and were typically viewed as pretty badass but now they're popular, especially with young adults, and there are the 'basic girl' tattoos such as anchors and infinity symbols which some people view as stupid. So, would you allow someone's personal body art affect your judgement of them from an employer's angle?
Not at all and I hate the stigma around people with tattoos.
Tattoos mean different things to different people but tattoos do not affect anybody's skill or talent and professionalism or anything like that and it's stupid to not hire someone because they wanted the art on their body for one reason or another. Tattos wouldn't bother me it'd all come down to the person in hand.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends where and how much.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Nope. It's all still based on prejudice, like racism. People make/made the exact same arguments for not having black people in certain roles on the same grounds. Don't like that you are getting lumped with racists, tough, maybe you should be less prejudiced :smug: Economic reasons have been used since the dawn of time justify prejudicial social relations including slavery. Not hiring someone who has tattoos as it may upset customers is no different. If you are going to do it at least don't pretend to be something you are not.

What if the tattoos are the result of some ethnic background? Like those native people who live in New Zealand, I forget what they are called.

Firstly you shouldn't have to regret getting tattoos and secondly what if you made a mistake? Now your tattoo on your face marks you out for life. Like some outcast. Prejudice ****s you over.
Asurat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Swear you can't get black lasered off though?
Asurat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It really depends on the job tbh. If I was an employer, I wouldn't want anybody with visible tattoos in a client facing role. If it was something like office work I don't see the problem.
Mr Smurf
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Depends where they are. When getting my tattoos I accepted that I will never be able to wear a short sleeve shirt to work again but I never wore those anyway because I don't like them :p:
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thecatwithnohat)
I'm pretty sure you have the option to choose whether you want tattoos on your face, whereas black people can't control the fact that they're black. Whether tattoos will be accepted or not depends on the client, and the place in which the person was working at.
So? That isn't the employers fault. If the most important metric is 'what makes the customers feel good' why does it matter if black people can't control it?

(Original post by Asurat)
Swear you can't get black lasered off though?
Bleaching. It's a thing. Black people do get their skin colour changed.
Asurat
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So? That isn't the employers fault. If the most important metric is 'what makes the customers feel good' why does it matter if black people can't control it?

Bleaching. It's a thing. Black people do get their skin colour changed.
Bleaching doesn't make you white though. You should also drop the "tattoos are like ethnicity" argument because it really doesn't read well and it's an argument that you have to fight doggedly for because nobody will think you're a reasonable guy.
thecatwithnohat
Report 4 years ago
So? That isn't the employers fault? If the most important metric is 'what makes the customers feel good' why does it matter if black people can't control it?
Why are you attempting compare to something that is beyond one's control and something that is chosen and also has the possibility of being removed if desired? If you want to express yourself and aren't bothered to express yourself underneath your clothing, even though it was an option, then who are you to complain? Tattoos can be altered, skin colour cannot.

The only valid argument I see on your behalf, not particularly for having the tattoo, is the person's skill in the job.
Compton Cuddler
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would employ anyone with the a tattoo that isn't offensive/explicit or on the face . We can't make tattoos a life stopper, they are nothing , they won't affect the employees ability to do their job

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads