I've just completed the 1st year of Audio degree at SAE Liverpool, AMA! :)

Watch
K1ngy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I started at SAE Liverpool in may 2014 and I have just gone in to my second year of study on the audio production degree as of the may just gone. If you have any questions about the course so far please feel free to ask away.
superduper9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what do you learn on the course?
is it about making music or recording music, sounds etc?
Killa Kam
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by K1ngy)
I started at SAE Liverpool in may 2014 and I have just gone in to my second year of study on the audio production degree as of the may just gone. If you have any questions about the course so far please feel free to ask away.
Waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Legendairy
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Killa Kam)
Waste of time

Posted from TSR Mobile
your a human centipede fan. I say that's a waste of time !
K.C
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
is there any purpose to life
Killa Kam
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Legendairy)
your a human centipede fan. I say that's a waste of time !
Gastly comeback.

Posted from TSR Mobile
candytreeman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Killa Kam)
Gastly comeback.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pokemon?
K1ngy
Rep:
?
(Original post by superduper9)
what do you learn on the course?
is it about making music or recording music, sounds etc?
Hi,

The course is more about the recording music & sounds aspect and not as much about actually making music. That being said the course is quite broad and covers quite a lot of topics including some lectures on music theory and some lectures and assignments dedicated to making electronic music.

We first learn about sound theory and other introductory material about microphones and speakers, electronics etc. We also learn how to record musicians at first using a small console but then moving on to large format consoles, we learn how to mix songs, how to make sound for film including foley recording and 5.1 mixing, we learn about live sound.

There has actually been a few improvements recently based on student feedback so it is slightly different since I finished my first year, I believe there is a bit more teaching on mixing techniques and mastering now, and some other things as well but I am not entirely sure about all of the new things. I hope this is helpful.

If you want the most up-to-date version of what the course entails you can view that here http://www.sae.edu/gbr/babsc-hons-audio-production. If you have any questions about the content on there I will be more than happy to respond

Thanks
K1ngy
Rep:
?
(Original post by K.C)
is there any purpose to life
Life only has the purpose of which we assign to it.
superduper9
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by K1ngy)
Hi,

The course is more about the recording music & sounds aspect and not as much about actually making music. That being said the course is quite broad and covers quite a lot of topics including some lectures on music theory and some lectures and assignments dedicated to making electronic music.

We first learn about sound theory and other introductory material about microphones and speakers, electronics etc. We also learn how to record musicians at first using a small console but then moving on to large format consoles, we learn how to mix songs, how to make sound for film including foley recording and 5.1 mixing, we learn about live sound.

There has actually been a few improvements recently based on student feedback so it is slightly different since I finished my first year, I believe there is a bit more teaching on mixing techniques and mastering now, and some other things as well but I am not entirely sure about all of the new things. I hope this is helpful.

If you want the most up-to-date version of what the course entails you can view that here http://www.sae.edu/gbr/babsc-hons-audio-production. If you have any questions about the content on there I will be more than happy to respond

Thanks
That sounds really cool - I've always been interested in how music is recorded and how sound effects, dialogues and special audio effects are added to movies. What you're studying sounds very interesting and a worthwhile subject. I expect the pool of people who have knowledge in this area is relatively small, which is good for you because it means your field is sort of unique in a way.

What job would you like to do after you graduate? Have you given it much thought?
Thanks for taking the time to explain about your course in detail I hope you enjoy the second year just as much as the first and that you do really well!
K1ngy
Rep:
?
(Original post by superduper9)
That sounds really cool - I've always been interested in how music is recorded and how sound effects, dialogues and special audio effects are added to movies. What you're studying sounds very interesting and a worthwhile subject. I expect the pool of people who have knowledge in this area is relatively small, which is good for you because it means your field is sort of unique in a way.

What job would you like to do after you graduate? Have you given it much thought?
Thanks for taking the time to explain about your course in detail I hope you enjoy the second year just as much as the first and that you do really well!

Hey,
Yeah, I think the pool of people who have knowledge in this are is quite small but it is also very competitive. I expect to have to go through a voluntary phase at least at first to prove myself before I am likely to be paid by someone.

In terms of what I personally plan on doing after graduating; I have been doing some live sound recently, I have enjoyed that so may see where that leads. I am also intrigued by the role of a producer/sound engineer (I think in todays competitive industry the two often go hand-in-hand). I am not really committed to any plan at the moment, I’m still experimenting with potential careers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (173)
14.53%
I'm not sure (55)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (348)
29.22%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.94%
I'm not a current university student (580)
48.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed