Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Plz Give Me Advise About Going Into 6th Form watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    HI,ppl,

I am really confused and I need advise and your opinion.
    I am currently finishing my year 10. IN addition I am thinking of going into medical skool in the future, but b4 I have to do my A-levels. I dunno where I can do them perfectly as the school where I am currently studying is crappy even in its GCSEs results. I am thinking of getting 6A*s and some As and 2Bs.I would like to apply for a place of 6th form in some grammar state skools, which have fantastic A-level results. Do u think my GCSE grades would be enough to apply for a grammar school such as Colchester Royal Grammar School, as this skool is 3rd in league tables with its A-levels. If yes could u tell me when it is worth applying, i mean when I get my GCse results or in the beginning of year 11?

thank you very much~

ReputationRep:
    i think as the most important thing is that you get all the grades you needed from GCSE, I dont know about grammar schools but in normal schools they dont look at what school you got your grades from so long as you got all the grades.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'll be getting an A* in geography LOL ! Have you any idea how far it is from Dagenham to Colchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    HI,ppl,

I am really confused and I need advise and your opinion.
    I am currently finishing my year 10. IN addition I am thinking of going into medical skool in the future, but b4 I have to do my A-levels. I dunno where I can do them perfectly as the school where I am currently studying is crappy even in its GCSEs results. I am thinking of getting 6A*s and some As and 2Bs.I would like to apply for a place of 6th form in some grammar state skools, which have fantastic A-level results. Do u think my GCSE grades would be enough to apply for a grammar school such as Colchester Royal Grammar School, as this skool is 3rd in league tables with its A-levels. If yes could u tell me when it is worth applying, i mean when I get my GCse results or in the beginning of year 11?

thank you very much~
    i used to go to colchester royal grammar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

i packed it in after 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!! ask me anything about it i have friends that go there

ReputationRep:
    I'd argue that your 6th form doesn't make that much a difference towards your A levels as long as you're motivated to study. I went to a pretty average 6th form college and managed to get into one of the most competitive courses at LSE (applicants/place is around 15).

ReputationRep:
    ok listen you can board there if you really want but it costs a helluva lot and you shud also take into consideration if its actually worth the travel all the way from dagenham

its a very very good school and the standards are very very high compared to a lot of other state grammar schools as reflected by the league tables

the year groups are very very VERY small indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazzyaa911)
    i used to go to colchester royal grammar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

i packed it in after 2 weeks!!!!!!!!!! ask me anything about it i have friends that go there
    also, you should be able to get in with those results....... without any problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smaug)
    I don't think you'll be getting an A* in geography LOL ! Have you any idea how far it is from Dagenham to Colchester?

lol i no that it is 2 far, thats why I m thinking of being a boarding student

ReputationRep:
    ok listen you can board there if you really want but it costs a helluva lot and you shud also take into consideration if its actually worth the travel all the way from dagenham

its a very very good school and the standards are very very high compared to a lot of other state grammar schools as reflected by the league tables

the year groups are very very VERY small indeed
    Anyway I am not living wiv my parents here, living wiv my sister, so soon anyway I should live independetly or pay money to my sis after for renting a room in the house after i become 16, so for me it would cost same money as being a boarding student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    lol i no that it is 2 far, thats why I m thinking of being a boarding student
    Unless your parents are absolutely loaded, there's no point just because it's high in the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    also, you should be able to get in with those results....... without any problem
    So which grades should i get and when should I apply?How to apply? Is the entry is really competitive? Did u go to this skool since year 7 or did u join only to the 6th form?
    I am sry for asking so many questions, but u ve told I can ask them.lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Unless your parents are absolutely loaded, there's no point just because it's high in the league tables.
    My parents r not living in this country. I am from greece originally.They dont have a house here, where I can live. So for me the boarding would cost same money as renting a room in London

ReputationRep:
    yes you should board, come join the crowd! Its a good way to stay focused in your exam years because there is not as many distractions as at home. Espcially if you want to go to med school and so therefore have to study chem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charters)
    yes you should board, come join the crowd! Its a good way to stay focused in your exam years because there is not as many distractions as at home. Espcially if you want to go to med school and so therefore have to study chem.
    R u studying in Colchester Royal grammar skool?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    R u studying in Colchester Royal grammar skool?
    Oh no!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no!
    so where then r u studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    so where then r u studying?
    I've been at boarding school since the age of 7 and I'm now 18, so I have just finished and I'm going onto uni to study law, in America.

ReputationRep:
    I've been at boarding school since the age of 7 and I'm now 18, so I have just finished and I'm going onto uni to study law, in America.
    kool, which uni in america r u going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    kool, which uni in america r u going to?
    Harvard

ReputationRep:
    Hey Izzy! when i was 11 i passed my 11 plus which got me in.......... you need VERY good grades if you're an external candidate at GCSE level but your grades should be fine, apply nice and early and get your current school to give them good references

boarding IS VERY expensive, and a lot of people from china come over

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.