The Student Room Group

Implications of an A in english lit and should i remark?

I am aiming for straight A* but 3 of my results came out today (english language english lit and history) and whilst i got A* in english language and history i only got 80% UMS (an A) in english lit which is about 54% raw marks probably, an A* is about 63%.

So:

1) how much do unis care about english lit? If its my only A can it still negatively affect oxbridge quite badly? And dont say it doesnt matter bc it defo does

And
2) is it worth trying to remark? My mock was a disaster and i got 58% but i supposedly got 54% even though my english teacher is a really harsh marker and i knew i screwed it up for mocks, gcses felt fine so do you think they added up my paper wrong or is it unlikely to go 10% ums up
Original post by JuliaM1998
I am aiming for straight A* but 3 of my results came out today (english language english lit and history) and whilst i got A* in english language and history i only got 80% UMS (an A) in english lit which is about 54% raw marks probably, an A* is about 63%.

So:

1) how much do unis care about english lit? If its my only A can it still negatively affect oxbridge quite badly? And dont say it doesnt matter bc it defo does

And
2) is it worth trying to remark? My mock was a disaster and i got 58% but i supposedly got 54% even though my english teacher is a really harsh marker and i knew i screwed it up for mocks, gcses felt fine so do you think they added up my paper wrong or is it unlikely to go 10% ums up

1) An A is fine, especially if most of the rest of your subjects are A*. They're going to care a lot more about your A levels.

2) Don't bother
Reply 2
Original post by JuliaM1998

If you got 80 from CIE then I'm fairly certain it only needs to go down 1 to become a B but it needs to go up 10 to be an A*. Don't risk it, English Lit is not that vital.

Quick Reply

Latest