A level geography or A level Art? Watch

Mystery.
Badges: 21
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently stuck on which subject to take. I enjoy them both equally but I can only take one.

Which subject do the universities value more?
yashkp25
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mystery.)
Hi,

I'm currently stuck on which subject to take. I enjoy them both equally but I can only take one.

Which subject do the universities value more?
Depends on what you want to do and what other subjects you want to take. Personally, I found geography alright at AS Level (and I want to do a degree in geography). But some parts of geography you should be familiar with if you do AS Level Maths and Statistics, so I advise taking that as well.
tgwktm
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
it does depend on what you want to study at uni. If you want to study art/ english etc at uni then art would be the best A level to take. but if you want to study a geography or another science subject then geography would be best. AS/A2 Geography isn;t that hard to get through and get a decent result if you are good at it, enjoy it and put the work in. I am rather biased cause i study geography at uni and it has been my favourite subject since before gcse.
If you do decide to do geography then I'll offer you some advice:
- don't treat the textbook like a bible- the case studies in there will be used by almost everyone else in the country and are likely to be out of date. In AS i did use the textbook for some case studies but in A2 i don't think i opened the textbook for the whole year. Instead I got case studies from news articles, recent events (I was lucky that i studied A2 during the year we had all those storms in the UK hence loads of material for me) and my teachers gave us some case studies from magazines they subscribed to (i was lucky to have the 2 best geography teachers ever). I made my own case studies and if you do that then you are more likely to remember them.
- take an interest in your subject- if you are interested in something then you will find it easier to do well cause you enjoy it. I enjoyed geography loads so revision was not so much of a chore for me. I wrote a geography blog throughout A levels and every weekend i would put a new articles up there which would be part of my revision.
-past papers- do loads of practice questions especially the essay style ones cause the key to those is having a good structure and technique to answering them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (89)
16.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (55)
10.24%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (96)
17.88%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (81)
15.08%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
10.06%
How can I be the best version of myself? (162)
30.17%

Watched Threads