The Student Room Group

Would you be a chicken sexer for £40k a year?

Britain is experiencing a shortage of chick sexers.

Despite offering a salary £40,000 a year, the British Poultry Council is finding it hard to recruit people who are able to check the sex of chicks.

A harder look at what is involved may reveal why.

Chick sexers spend their days looking inside the bird's anuses to see whether they are male or female. Chick's anuses are referred to as vents - just in case you wanted to know.

Sexers delicately squeeze a little poo out of the chick to open the vent then look inside and check for a bump. That means it's male.

They are usually paid £3 per 100 chicks examined and examine around one to 1.5 million per year.

Worlds easiest high-paying job? Would you do it?

Scroll to see replies

'I sex chicks for a living'

'I can sex over a thousand chicks an hour'

'I just now sexed your chick in the back garden'

:sexface: :cool: :smug:
(edited 8 years ago)
From an animal rights perspective, no.

Awful things can happen to the males because of their inability to lay eggs. Horrible!
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
From an animal rights perspective, no.

Awful things can happen to the males because of their inability to lay eggs. Horrible!

Elaborate?
Reply 4
What a way to earn a living eh! No, I would have no inclination to do such a job despite the high pay. Just too awful. Feel sorry for the chickens too, the way they're stuck in cages. Nothing nice about it.
Original post by Juichiro
Elaborate?

[video="youtube;pzwO-uFZWOI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzwO-uFZWOI[/video]
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
[video="youtube;pzwO-uFZWOI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzwO-uFZWOI[/video]

I don't like videos, can you write me a summary? :redface:
I don't like videos, can you write me a summary? :redface:

Trust me it's worth watching
Trust me it's worth watching

Why?
Original post by GuppyFox
Worlds easiest high-paying job?

You call that high-paying? :laugh:
How do you squeeze poo out of chicks? :eek:

Youtube is full of surprises
https://youtu.be/P3sfUakyaoU

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)

Repetitive mind numbing task over and over is not an easy job. It's awful. (well for me at least). I also don;t have to feel bad for the draft excluders I was packaging as apposed to factory farming.
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't even do it for 6 digits.
How can you just kick, throw, stomp, flail and just toss chicken around like that...
Elaborate?

Chicken Nuggets
I'd genuinely do it! Chicks are adorable :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Changing Skies
I'd genuinely do it! Chicks are adorable :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Er... unless you are on some ultra organic animal welfare fancy pants farm I don't think working in the chicken farming industry would be a good idea if you think they are 'adorable'

Just saying :tongue:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Er... unless you are on some ultra organic animal welfare fancy pants farm I don't think working in the chicken farming industry would be a good idea if you think they are 'adorable'

Just saying :tongue:

Oh...yeah :sad: I got a bit excited too quickly :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
definitely not. Job title will put me off, as well as the way to check their gender.
Reply 18

Holy hell! I really did not want to watch your clip because I knew it was not going to be pleasant but I'm glad I did manage a third of it. Just so so so bad. Words aren't enough to describe this terribly cruelty. Unbelievable and so sad. These places should be shut down. We have no moral right to behave that way to creatures.

It's actually not an easy job at all. It is very difficult to determine the sex of a chick, even with training, few people are able to pick up the skill and utilise it efficiently. That's why it's high paying.

Latest

Trending

Trending