This discussion is closed.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I've searched for a thread discussing this but haven't managed to find one.

To anyone who has applied, how did you find the overall application process and the assessment day? Also did you manage to get the scholarship in the end? Finally, any tips for the assessment day? Thank you!
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 342758)
If you apply for it you will get it. The number of applicants to all four subject scholarship schemes fell this year. They just can't give them away.
Kas2017
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by 342758)
I've searched for a thread discussing this but haven't managed to find one.

To anyone who has applied, how did you find the overall application process and the assessment day? Also d id you manage to get the scholarship in the end? Finally, any tips for the assessment day? Thank you!
How did it go? Did you get it? Any tips?
VelmaStaplebot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Not sure if anyone still wants an answer but...

I applied in summer 2016 and got a scholarship and I'm now half way through my PGCE. Most people who apply seem to be successful. There is a video about it somewhere on the RSC site which is worth a look.

The application takes a bit of time (subject knowledge test and writing a statement (bit like personal statement for UCAS)). The assessment day was fun - trip to London, interview, group work, 5 min teach to your interviewers (we had to prep 4 topics but were only asked about 1) and a 1 hour chemistry test.
They told us on arrival that there was a scholarship for every one who attended the assessment day (as long as you performed on the day), so it was quite collaborate rather than competitive.
I think it was worth it - enhanced bursary is just part of it - mentoring, special RSC events for scholars and loads of resource books etc.
Lauren masson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What topics did you cover in the 1 hour chemistry exam? Was it gcse or A level?
VelmaStaplebot
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lauren masson)
What topics did you cover in the 1 hour chemistry exam? Was it gcse or A level?
From memory mostly GCSE and some A level. There are two self tests on the RSC website - the one below is pre-16 and there's one for post-16 knowledge. I found them useful for prep. Good luck if you decide to go for it! http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/r...id=CMP00006846
Lauren masson
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you for your reply
Would you need a certain mark in the test and is the exam both multiple choice and written? Also is the interview and one of the 4 topics you had to present is that the
difficult side to it, so for example you could be asked to present on a topic such as
isotopes? what kind of questions were you asked?
(Original post by VelmaStaplebot)
From memory mostly GCSE and some A level. There are two self tests on the RSC website - the one below is pre-16 and there's one for post-16 knowledge. I found them useful for prep. Good luck if you decide to go for it! http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/r...id=CMP00006846
chemstudent10001
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyone applied this year? I have an assessment day coming up and I'm really nervous about the test!
helcas
Report 3 years ago
Can anyone point me in the direct of any practice tests?
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by helcas)
Can anyone point me in the direct of any practice tests?
http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/r...pe=MED00000009

Do the Pre 16 one for Secondary Chemistry, but it's worth looking over the Post 16 one too
pfturner
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When do you find out if you got the scholarship or not? Is it just after assessment day?Cheers
pfturner
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi Velma, just wondering, when did you find out you got the scholarship? How long after the assessment day?

Thank you!

(Original post by VelmaStaplebot)
Not sure if anyone still wants an answer but...

I applied in summer 2016 and got a scholarship and I'm now half way through my PGCE. Most people who apply seem to be successful. There is a video about it somewhere on the RSC site which is worth a look.

The application takes a bit of time (subject knowledge test and writing a statement (bit like personal statement for UCAS)). The assessment day was fun - trip to London, interview, group work, 5 min teach to your interviewers (we had to prep 4 topics but were only asked about 1) and a 1 hour chemistry test.
They told us on arrival that there was a scholarship for every one who attended the assessment day (as long as you performed on the day), so it was quite collaborate rather than competitive.
I think it was worth it - enhanced bursary is just part of it - mentoring, special RSC events for scholars and loads of resource books etc.
InternationalGuy
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Anyone applied this year/ been accepted this year?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by InternationalGuy)
Anyone applied this year/ been accepted this year?
Hiya :hi:

You're probably better off starting a new thread about this, you can do so here.

When you make it, the Royal Society of Chemistry may be able to provide you with some assistance.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.71%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.37%

Watched Threads