The Student Room Group

How to understand AS results

Hello,

I am a home student (I have self-studied my AS in History, Politics and Mathematics) and will be receiving my results this August 13th, hoping for AAA because I would like to apply to read PPE at Oxford, which asks for 'AAA' in 'A Level.'

Two questions.

(1) If I obtain AAB, as opposed to AAA, in my AS results, does that disallow me from applying for PPE, given that Oxford ask for 'AAA' for 'A-Level'?

(2) As a home student, how do I 'predict' my own A Level grades?

Thank you
The grades 'AAA' are the A-Level grades they want you to obtain after the full 2 years of A-Level. Some universities have minimum AS grades they require but it is rare. So getting ABB should hinder your application as you could go on to achieve AAA or higher in A2!

As for predicting your own grades, I am not entirely sure how this is done, you may want to ask UCAS some information on applying as a home student.

Best of luck for Thursday!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lifeistoff
The grades 'AAA' are the A-Level grades they want you to obtain after the full 2 years of A-Level. Some universities have minimum AS grades they require but it is rare. So getting ABB should hinder your application as you could go on to achieve AAA or higher in A2!

As for predicting your own grades, I am not entirely sure how this is done, you may want to ask UCAS some information on applying as a home student.

Best of luck for Thursday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your answer - just to confirm, getting a *possible* AAB should not stop me from applying for an AAA course?
It shouldn't do! It isn't all about grades with Oxbridge believe it or not as a girl in my year applied with AAAA for A-Level and got rejected twice, so a good extra-curricular record and a likeable personality is also very helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Air Conditioner
Hello,

I am a home student (I have self-studied my AS in History, Politics and Mathematics) and will be receiving my results this August 13th, hoping for AAA because I would like to apply to read PPE at Oxford, which asks for 'AAA' in 'A Level.'

Two questions.

(1) If I obtain AAB, as opposed to AAA, in my AS results, does that disallow me from applying for PPE, given that Oxford ask for 'AAA' for 'A-Level'?

Thank you

The AAA grade they ask for is just a typical offer - it just shows the kind of level they're looking for. This refers to A2 results, so what you get at AS shouldn't affect being able to apply.
For info about predicted grades, maybe phone UCAS? I just had a look at the UCAS website but there doesn't seem to be much useful information about being a home student, so maybe phoning is the best option
Original post by Air Conditioner
Hello,

Two questions.

Thank you

I've recently spoke to someone who applied to Oxford and got in with AABC at AS level. Focus more on doing well in your admissions test and interview if you get one. Good luck for tomorrow
Thank you both for your advice. :smile:
I obtained AAA - but only just!

Quick Reply