D-Day Watch

This discussion is closed.
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I am not sure how what other memberes will put in this thread but I think it is important that we remeber the important contribution made 60 years ago on this weekend that ensures our freedom today. So this thread is a dedications to all the people who lost their lives fighting on the beaches of UTAH, OMAHA GOLD, JUNO and SWORD.
If you would like more information you can go to the following websites:

http://www.dday.org/
http://www.ddaymuseum.org/
http://www.isidore-of-seville.com/d-day/

and to any mods out there, sticking it for the weekend would be greatly apprecaiated
Fly By
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
With all my respect......
rednirt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my grandad was gonna be in the first wave but was injured and therefore he went in the third. he said he feels extraordinarily lucky, yet sad as most of his friends died.

I think its great we are still showing out respects today.
wanderer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It is right and necessary to commemorate D-day, but I often feel it is done at the expense of remembering Stalingrad and the Eastern front. We hear a lot (and quite rightly) about the British, Canadian and American heros, but very little about the Russians.
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by wanderer)
It is right and necessary to commemorate D-day, but I often feel it is done at the expense of remembering Stalingrad and the Eastern front. We hear a lot (and quite rightly) about the British, Canadian and American heros, but very little about the Russians.
I am sure the Russians must remeber events like Stalingrad, and suspect that the Cold War is one of the major reasons that we don't.
tis_me_lord
Badges: 14
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Speciez99)
I think it is important that we remeber the important contribution made 60 years ago on this weekend that ensures our freedom today.
Yeah, my respects also. Neither of my grandparents fought in WW2 as far as i know, they both died before i was born so i actually know nothing about them except some pretty bad stuff about one which i won't go into! My grandmum was in Jersey at the time though and was nearly starving until this happened and the war could be ended, so i'm sure she's very grateful at the moment as well as us!
wanderer
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The Russians do, but the cold war should not (although I am sure you're right that it does) prevent us from commemorating their losses, or indeed prevent them from commemorating ours. Approx. 2500 Allied soldiers died on D-day, and approx. 1.3 million Russians died at Stalingrad. It was a world war, and soldiers from many countries, with many ideological differences, fought to defeat fascism. I don't know ... it just gets on my nerves that we seem to glorify the acheivements of our own countries. I suppose its inevitable though.
tis_me_lord
Report 14 years ago
USA, UK etc wouldn't want us supporting the Russians in WW2 too much because they were communist and USA hates communism. It is stupid but America would probably tell you that the Vietnam war wasn't their fault now, or what's happening now is Iraqs fault. I'm sure people here can look past the cold war and the fact they were communist to pay respect to them though, hopefully.
Fluffy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I don't know what to write as I don't think there are words to sum it up.
the_wizzz
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
I have the same feeling.

I would like to show my greatful thanks and appreciation to all those who put their lives on the line for us.
sashh
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
And also to those who were fighting elsewhere, we are just as indebted
chats
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
respect to all
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
I think some of my friends are going to the American Cemetary just outside Cambridge on Sunday, just to be there, and think about all that they went through. There's not much more that we could do, and it would be very fitting, I think.
Do Chickens Fly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Is this the one where people get lots of poppies, 'cos I haven't seen many around.

Oh - is there a V-day also? If so, how's that different?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
Is this the one where people get lots of poppies, 'cos I haven't seen many around.

Oh - is there a V-day also? If so, how's that different?
"Poppy Day" is Remembrance Sunday - the closest Sunday to 11th November, when World War I officially ended, but it is now used as an occasion to commemmorate all war dead.

D-Day was the code name for the Allied invasion of Normandy, which happened on June 6th 1944 - really, the beginning of the end of the war. Not normally commemmorated every year, but this is the 60th anniversary, so there will be more going on. I remember the 50th anniversary - I was in year 5!

V-Day (actually VE day or VJ day) was the day that World War II ended, VE being in Europe (sometime in May, can't remember exactly) and VJ being in Japan (in August). Again, these aren't usually observed.
BazTheMoney
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by wanderer)
That's because we're British... Stalingrad, Leningrad, et al are celebrated in Russia; Russians don't really celebrate D-Day.
John Paul Jones
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
my great-grandad was at Dunkirk however, and he had to escape the beach...so what he did, he stole the jacket and hat off a dead officer, and put them on so he could get onto the boats first, haha but his commander found out, and my great grandad got promoted because of ingenuity heheh
Lee86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Thank you i think is the most important thing i can say....

I think in a time when many people have forgoten what it is to be british i think this gives some sense of direction, something that we can all be proud of and thankful for.

We take so much for granted alot of which we are able to do so because of those brave man.
旗人天相
Report 14 years ago
Let's <<SAVING THE PRIVATE RYAN>> :cool:
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by 旗人天相)
Let's <<SAVING THE PRIVATE RYAN>> :cool:
hmm>?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1168)
79.35%
Leave (304)
20.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise