Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

D-Day watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    hmm>?
    a movie named "saving the private Ryan" !!
    Haven't you see it??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 旗人天相)
    a movie named "saving the private Ryan" !!
    Haven't you see it??
    yes ive seen it but what was your comment aiming at? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    yes ive seen it but what was your comment aiming at? :rolleyes:
    i think he means the "alternative" version, saving ryans privates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endorf)
    i think he means the "alternative" version, saving ryans privates.
    smart nuts!

ReputationRep:
    When I was on holiday last year I visited the Normandy D-Day Landing Beaches and to be honest the experience still brings tears to my eyes, when you look around and as far as your eye can see you see white crosses and stars of St David it sends a tingle down your spine at the disbelief of it all. All those people that gave their lives they deserve the utmost respect and especially as many of them were also really young as well (at one of the grave sites we visited practically every grave was of a 17/18/19 year old

Words can't explain how much thanks and respect we should have for those women and men who made our future possible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 旗人天相)
    Let's <<SAVING THE PRIVATE RYAN>> :cool:
    Okay, firstly, the film's called Saving Private Ryan... unless, like Endorf said you're referring to Saving Ryan's Privates.

In which case what the hell are you playing at?? This thread is for remember those who sacrificed their lives for us to live in peace. Guys my age died today 60 years ago amidst a hail of bullets and that's not something you should just make a joke about. Seriously, there's a place for that sorta thing, and it's not this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    Okay, firstly, the film's called Saving Private Ryan... unless, like Endorf said you're referring to Saving Ryan's Privates.

In which case what the hell are you playing at?? This thread is for remember those who sacrificed their lives for us to live in peace. Guys my age died today 60 years ago amidst a hail of bullets and that's not something you should just make a joke about. Seriously, there's a place for that sorta thing, and it's not this thread.
    he is chinese so be a little understanding if he doesn't realise the importance

ReputationRep:
    I have to say i was very annoyed today i was reading the mail on the way from france and there was a huge interview with a BNP party leader i mean there a neo-nazi party how heartless can you get to print that on a weekend like this

ReputationRep:
    How does Dunkirk relate to this? *confused*

We should be taught this in school. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    How does Dunkirk relate to this? *confused*

We should be taught this in school. :rolleyes:
    When Hitler went charging across Europe, alots of the British Expeditionary force were caught in france, they were then evacuated from the Beaches of Dunkirk and its just after that you get the Churchill speech where he says "we must fight them on the beaches ect". Is everything clear now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    When Hitler went charging across Europe, alots of the British Expeditionary force were caught in france, they were then evacuated from the Beaches of Dunkirk and its just after that you get the Churchill speech where he says "we must fight them on the beaches ect". Is everything clear now?
    No, I think I didn't phrase my question properly. (I know what happened cause my granddad was there ) What I meant to ask was - is that in any way related to the D Day landings? Were they the failed precursor landings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    No, I think I didn't phrase my question properly. (I know what happened cause my granddad was there ) What I meant to ask was - is that in any way related to the D Day landings? Were they the failed precursor landings?
    it was evaculation, where as D-Day was the attack against Germany, in historical order from most distance to nearest
    Hitler charges across europe - britzkreig
    Brits and assorted frenchmen flee at Dunkirk
    battle of britain
    Pearl Habour -US joins war
    D-day
    VE day
    VJ day
    If this doesn't answer your question then i don't think i have understood the question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    yes
    Hitler charges across europe
    Brits and assorted frenchmen flee at Dunkirk
    battle of britain
    Pearl Habour -US joins war
    D-day
    VE day
    VJ day
    I seeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soapsuds)

Words can't explain how much thanks and respect we should have for those women and men who made our future possible
    beautifully put.. its easy to forget and take for granted what we have, when only 60 years ago our ancestors were giving their lives for their country.. i wonder how much national pride and community we would show inthe 21st century...

ReputationRep:
    i was in normandy for the first part of this week (gutted we couldnt be there now), and met and chatted to a couple of veterans - one American paratrooper and one British commando.

I have an enourmous amount of respect for anyone who has been through what they have, and am glad that the celebrations (right word?) at the moment are being reported here, and the history explained.

ReputationRep:
    A bloke from my work was on Operation D-Day: The Raw Recruits on BBC1 recently. He did the program to try to understand what his grandfather (who he never had the opportunity to meet) went through on D-Day. And has come out a bigger man because of the experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanderer)
    It is right and necessary to commemorate D-day, but I often feel it is done at the expense of remembering Stalingrad and the Eastern front. We hear a lot (and quite rightly) about the British, Canadian and American heros, but very little about the Russians.
    Living in Russia I see the other side of this here WW2 is known as the 'Great Patriotic War' and here there is even less mention of British, American, Canadian losses, to many Russians the war was only really fought on the Eastern front due to the comparatively small (!) losses suffered in the West...

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be nice if all the UK and England flags that are around were for D-Day and not for the football?

ReputationRep:
    saw saving private ryan yesterday:rolleyes:

and hung aout abit with my Swedish boyfriend
    D-Day just so happens to be the Swedish Independence Day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    Living in Russia I see the other side of this here WW2 is known as the 'Great Patriotic War' and here there is even less mention of British, American, Canadian losses, to many Russians the war was only really fought on the Eastern front due to the comparatively small (!) losses suffered in the West...
    they were comparatively small. By the summer of 1944 the outcome of the war was decided. The Germans had 6/7 of their forces on the eastern front and these were getting beaten badly. By the time the Teheran conference in 1943 happened, Germany's loss was inevitable.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.