NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The graph of ln(4-x); I've thought of this in two ways; ln(-x+4) and ln -(x-4), using the former doesn't it reflect the graph in the y axis and then shift the graph 4 units in the negative x direction meaning it crossed the x axis at (-3,0)?
But when I use ln -(x-4) doesn't it reflect the graph in the y axis and shift it 4 units in the positive x direction meaning it crosses the x axis at (5,0)?

However the answer in the textbook is different. I know I can set x and y equal to zero and find out where it crosses the co-ordinate axis, but I want to work this out in terms of translations of graphs.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
The graph of ln(4-x); I've thought of this in two ways; ln(-x+4) and ln -(x-4), using the former doesn't it reflect the graph in the y axis and then shift the graph 4 units in the negative x direction...
Let's try that.

Start with f(x) = \ln x

"Reflect the graph in the y axis" - this is a transformation f(x)\rightarrow f(-x)

f(-x) = \ln (-x)

Call this new function g(x) then "shift the graph 4 units in the negative x direction" is a transformation g(x)\rightarrow g(x+4).

g(x) = \ln (-x)

g(x+4) = \ln -(x+4) = \ln (-x -4)

Can you see your mistake?
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
(Original post by notnek)
Let's try that.

Start with f(x) = \ln x

"Reflect the graph in the y axis" - this is a transformation f(x)\rightarrow f(-x)

f(-x) = \ln (-x)

Call this new function g(x) then "shift the graph 4 units in the negative x direction" is a transformation g(x)\rightarrow g(x+4).

g(x) = \ln (-x)

g(x+4) = \ln -(x+4) = \ln (-x -4)

Can you see your mistake?
In the answers, it shows the graph crossing at x=3, but ln(-x-4) would cross at x=5 so I'm still confused.
Notnek
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In the answers, it shows the graph crossing at x=3, but ln(-x-4) would cross at x=5 so I'm still confused.
The question asks you about ln(4-x) not ln(-x-4). My last post was to show you that if you apply the two transformations that you thought were correct to ln(x), you end up with ln(-x-4) and not ln(4-x). So your reasoning was incorrect.

Does that make sense?
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
(Original post by notnek)
The question asks you about ln(4-x) not ln(-x-4). My last post was to show you that if you apply the two transformations that you thought were correct to ln(x), you end up with ln(-x-4) and not ln(4-x). So your reasoning was incorrect.

Does that make sense?
Yes, but how would I correctly apply transformations for this question?
razzor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes, but how would I correctly apply transformations for this question?
You need to forget about the ln(-x+4) and instead pull out the minus sign as you had already done: i.e. ln[-(x-4)]

Now you can apply the appropriate transformations: Reflexion in the y-axis and translation of 4 units in the x direction.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
(Original post by razzor)
You need to forget about the ln(-x+4) and instead pull out the minus sign as you had already done: i.e. ln[-(x-4)]

Now you can apply the appropriate transformations: Reflexion in the y-axis and translation of 4 units in the x direction.
Is there an order for transformation of graphs?
razzor
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Is there an order for transformation of graphs?
For a function of the form f(-(x+c)) where c is a constant, you should reflect first then translate.

In your scenario, you have f(-(x-4)) with f(x) = lnx.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
(Original post by razzor)
For a function of the form f(-(x+c)) where c is a constant, you should reflect first then translate.

In your scenario, you have f(-(x-4)) with f(x) = lnx.
Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (45)
15%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (96)
32%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (38)
12.67%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (26)
8.67%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
5.67%
I think it's an unfair expectation (75)
25%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1%

Watched Threads