The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

I'm 24 still need a parent to support my Student Finance Application

Hi guys,

So I have applied to university I have secured my place and I have been waiting for my Student Finance to be processed. Finally everything was processed but my entitlement letter says they will only pay for my tuition fees. I called them and they said my application was non means tested which is why they will only pay tuition fees. In order for my application to be means tested I need the support of a parent. I have no relationship with my parents and my aunt raised me. Because she was not given legal guardianship though the courts she can not support the application. The other option is to get a letter as evidence that me and my parents are estranged. This letter needs to be written by a social worker, teacher, doctor or religious authority. Now I'm 24 I haven't been to school for a long time, I never had a social worker and I only went to my doctor when I was sick never discussed any personal issues. I don't fall under any of the boxes they have under the guidelines and I really need that money to help me with rent, food and most importantly books. I am going to appeal the decision. Has anyone else found them selves in this situation. I could do with some advice
Reply 1
Original post by Kim.K
Hi guys,

So I have applied to university I have secured my place and I have been waiting for my Student Finance to be processed. Finally everything was processed but my entitlement letter says they will only pay for my tuition fees. I called them and they said my application was non means tested which is why they will only pay tuition fees. In order for my application to be means tested I need the support of a parent. I have no relationship with my parents and my aunt raised me. Because she was not given legal guardianship though the courts she can not support the application. The other option is to get a letter as evidence that me and my parents are estranged. This letter needs to be written by a social worker, teacher, doctor or religious authority. Now I'm 24 I haven't been to school for a long time, I never had a social worker and I only went to my doctor when I was sick never discussed any personal issues. I don't fall under any of the boxes they have under the guidelines and I really need that money to help me with rent, food and most importantly books. I am going to appeal the decision. Has anyone else found them selves in this situation. I could do with some advice

Try asking your Doctor or previous Teachers anyway they just need to support the fact you are estranged from your Parents.

Failing that do you know anyone who is a Teacher/Doctor/Religious authority that could write a letter on your behalf?
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 2
No I don't know anyone with that authority who can write me the letter. I called my GP they said the doctor can only write me a letter if they where aware of the situation
Reply 3
Original post by Kim.K
No I don't know anyone with that authority who can write me the letter. I called my GP they said the doctor can only write me a letter if they where aware of the situation

Notify your Doctor now and apply in the smallest amount of time possible (3 months is probably best) and you should get back dated payments.

However at this point speak to your university finance departments (Or those of your choices and ask how they can support you, many universities have hardship funding which may help as well as help with getting part time work at university.
Reply 4
Thanks for the advice. I have always planned on a part time job but that won't cover paying for my rent, bills, food, travel and course books.
Original post by Kim.K
Thanks for the advice. I have always planned on a part time job but that won't cover paying for my rent, bills, food, travel and course books.

Have you been working for more than three years? If so you can claim independent status for having 3 years of self-support rather than through estrangement.

Also even though your application is non means tested you should still be able to get a minimum maintenance loan. Are you sure you've applied for the maintenance loan?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I haven't been working for past three years and I wasn't on benefits. I am getting a minimum maintenance loan but I've made the calculations it won't help cover the costs so I need a bit more support. Thanks for the advise I am going to try to get them to reassess my situation. If they don't offer me more it's a year of struggling but everything always works out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending