The Student Room Group

I'm 24 still need a parent to support my Student Finance Application

Hi guys,

So I have applied to university I have secured my place and I have been waiting for my Student Finance to be processed. Finally everything was processed but my entitlement letter says they will only pay for my tuition fees. I called them and they said my application was non means tested which is why they will only pay tuition fees. In order for my application to be means tested I need the support of a parent. I have no relationship with my parents and my aunt raised me. Because she was not given legal guardianship though the courts she can not support the application. The other option is to get a letter as evidence that me and my parents are estranged. This letter needs to be written by a social worker, teacher, doctor or religious authority. Now I'm 24 I haven't been to school for a long time, I never had a social worker and I only went to my doctor when I was sick never discussed any personal issues. I don't fall under any of the boxes they have under the guidelines and I really need that money to help me with rent, food and most importantly books. I am going to appeal the decision. Has anyone else found them selves in this situation. I could do with some advice
Original post by Kim.K
Hi guys,

So I have applied to university I have secured my place and I have been waiting for my Student Finance to be processed. Finally everything was processed but my entitlement letter says they will only pay for my tuition fees. I called them and they said my application was non means tested which is why they will only pay tuition fees. In order for my application to be means tested I need the support of a parent. I have no relationship with my parents and my aunt raised me. Because she was not given legal guardianship though the courts she can not support the application. The other option is to get a letter as evidence that me and my parents are estranged. This letter needs to be written by a social worker, teacher, doctor or religious authority. Now I'm 24 I haven't been to school for a long time, I never had a social worker and I only went to my doctor when I was sick never discussed any personal issues. I don't fall under any of the boxes they have under the guidelines and I really need that money to help me with rent, food and most importantly books. I am going to appeal the decision. Has anyone else found them selves in this situation. I could do with some advice

You should be eligible for a maintenance loan as well as your tuition fee loan, even if you're non means tested - it would just be lower than a means tested maintenance loan. Are you sure that you have requested your maintenance loan?

You shouldn't "appeal" yet - an appeal is for if you are incorrectly assessed. You have been correctly assessed based on the evidence you have provided so far. An appeal will not do you any good because you have not even provided evidence that has been rejected.

Have you earned enough to support yourself for more than three years? If so, you can be assessed as independent student because you were self-supporting. For evidence they would require photocopies of the P60s covering three tax years, or P45s or payslips if the three years are broken up and three tax years doesn't cover the period. This would allow you to avoid the estrangement route altogether.

A letter from a teacher may actually be a possibility - if you can get in touch with your previous school and they were aware that your aunt was raising you.
What have you been earning? If you've earned over £7500 per year for three years, you'll be able to claim as an independent student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
or apply when you are 25 which will save all the hassle
Original post by trifleontoast
or apply when you are 25 which will save all the hassle

No, it goes by the age you are at the start of the academic year, not the age you are when you apply. If someone is 24 when they apply but would be 25 on the first day of the academic year, they will be awarded independent status, if someone is 25 when they apply but was 24 on the first day of the academic year, they will not be awarded independent status on the basis of age.

OP will be fine for second year, but delaying the application won't do anything to award independent status.
Original post by applicationa
No, it goes by the age you are at the start of the academic year, not the age you are when you apply. If someone is 24 when they apply but would be 25 on the first day of the academic year, they will be awarded independent status, if someone is 25 when they apply but was 24 on the first day of the academic year, they will not be awarded independent status on the basis of age.

OP will be fine for second year, but delaying the application won't do anything to award independent status.

basically make sure you will be 25 by the time you start the course and you will not need to provide parental info and will get it all for being independent
basically make sure you will be 25 by the time you start the course and you will not need to provide parental info and will get it all for being independent

Going for the self-supporting route is probably the best option, not delaying entry by a year.
Original post by applicationa
Going for the self-supporting route is probably the best option, not delaying entry by a year.

Yeah youre right, if this can be proved. If not then wait a year
Yeah youre right, if this can be proved. If not then wait a year

Also accepting evidence for estrangement is one of the things that SFE do have quite a bit of discretion on. They might accept a signed affidavit from OP's aunt if there is truly no other evidence, especially as it's just for one year before OP turns 25.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending