The Student Room Group

proces design(design process) CHEMICAL ENGINEERING?

sorry to make another thread as i am unable to edit the one below

i want to include provess design in my personal statement and how i look forward to studying it at university.my questions is... what importance is design process? when do you use it in chemical engineering and do you have examples of you using it? what is fascinating/interesting about it?

thanks for any of your help. i am really trying to gain more knowledge, i have done some reasearch and just wondering what others think... so any help is greatly appreciated😀😀😀
I would say be careful about sticking stuff into your personal statement that you don't know much about. Because when it comes up in an interview, it will trip you up.

No harm at all in asking people here for information on this and that. But you'll gain a deeper understanding from doing your own research, either online or from a book. Ask for the reading list on that module and do some reading on it. You'll be much better prepared to discuss it in the PS and/or interview that way.
Reply 2
I wanna know too going into As (year 12)
Reply 3
i read a chapter on it and have some understanding. but i am trying to see if others agree with me? as im wondering about whether i should talk about materials instead?
Reply 4
Original post by bestofyou
I would say be careful about sticking stuff into your personal statement that you don't know much about. Because when it comes up in an interview, it will trip you up.

No harm at all in asking people here for information on this and that. But you'll gain a deeper understanding from doing your own research, either online or from a book. Ask for the reading list on that module and do some reading on it. You'll be much better prepared to discuss it in the PS and/or interview that way.

In process design do you also design reactors on programme and ser how it works? or is it only a 2-D drawing of how the process will look like
Original post by justthatboy
In process design do you also design reactors on programme and ser how it works? or is it only a 2-D drawing of how the process will look like

No idea, I don't do chem. eng.
Reply 6
anyone got answers
Reply 7
Its pretty fundamental, we had a whole module where we had to work in groups to design a process to make ammonia pellets.

Its important because it brings together everything you learn in other modules and its basically a sample of what you're gonna be doing when you work as a chemical engineer. Usually you use it when youre designing something? (a bit obvious) but sometimes it may crop up in relevant modules where you have to design something to meet certain requirements such as rate of flow or velocity etc.

Can't really say much interesting things about it, just cool to bring it all together and use knowledge from different places to achieve something I guess.. its a pain tbh
Reply 8
can process design be about using a programme to draw up a animated reactor/equipment or is it only a 2-d drawing of your whole process?

thanks i am going to read it tonight
Reply 11
thanks i am going to read it tonight

your welcome
Original post by OGGUS
your welcome

can you send me the link again, it doesn't work
Reply 13
can you send me the link again, it doesn't work

That link has been deleted. Try this one http://engineering.mit.edu/