Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I had posted here a few months ago during my neverending search for a college.. Again I'm hoping you could give me some advice.

Firstly, currently all I need is an Art & Design Foundation course, one year, full time. (Accomodation isn't a problem, I'll be staying with relatives) That will help me later select perhaps an animation course, or could help me change my mind as to what I want to study. (I've been animating for only just over half a year, but I love it; you can look at my website www.neftoons.com for my experience level.)

You'd think finding a further education course would be easy.. but I don't currently live in the UK! I'm in Cyprus.. (No language problems, I'm fluent in English and Greek.) So I have to rely on internet information, without interviews or visiting the places..

London College of Printing/Communication had offered me an interview, which would take place in London. London Metropolitan and Middesex had also made me unconditional offers.. so I managed to convince the family to send me to London to check them out.

LCP rejected me, no reason given.. That really disappointed me. I really thought I could get there.. so now it's June, and I still haven't sorted this out, I'd started planning since last year!

I still have offers at the other two mentioned, but I had visited them during that time I'd gone to the LCP interview and wasn't very impressed, plus they'd accepted me from where i am now as an International Student.. I'm just unsure I want to spend a year there.

And now.. I've been spending hours researching more London Colleges that offer this course. Of course, all the colleges that seem interesting are too far away (Ravensbourne, Bournemouth), or full (Kingston).

I've emailed, filled online forms.. and now I have a conditional offer from Cavendish college, and an application form from Camberwell College of Arts, which said they can consider me if anyone drops out in August.. :rolleyes: . I know nothing about the schools and cannot visit them, and it's doing my head in.

So now I have to ask.. Can any of you tell me more about any of the schools I have mentioned above? (London Metropolitan, Middlesex, Cavendish, Camberwell College of Arts.) I'd greatly appreciate it, as no one seems to be able to give me an honest answer.

Could you also recommend any other colleges that offer this course?

Thanks for your help, and I apologise fo the long post.

-Nef

ReputationRep:
    I know nothing about the courses unis but I thought contacting the animation forum at the light-house might help. http://www.light-house.co.uk/

This is the promo for the May meeting

Light House holds a regular forum when animators get together to talk about the state of the industry, to screen work and to generally network.

The next forum will showcase the talents of three local animators. David Hingley has been involved in character animation and games for 9 years and most recently worked for Attari producing DRIV3R 3, Terminator: Dawn of Fate and Stuntman. Award winning animator, James Easthope, whose Le Diable et le Garcon is a dark tale of fear and murder, has had his film exhibited around various hotspots including the Chapter Art gallery in Cardiff. Mat Parker’s film, Desperate Measures, has been shown at the Berlin Film Festival and was runner up at last years Big Issue Film Festival.

Following the talk and screening, there will be an opportunity to ask questions and to meet other animators.

For more information contact Peter McLuskie
    Cost: free

Maybe e-mailing Peter (he runs the light-house, doesn't have anything to do with animation though) and ask him to pass on your comments at the next forum, people actually working in the industry should be able to give you an idea of where the best courses are.

ReputationRep:
    I did work experiance at the Lighthouse in Wolverhampton last year, the facilities that they have their are excellent, certainly better than a lot of facilities at our universitites. The animation courses that they run there are highly regarded from what I have been told. It certainly is a good place to study - and it is right next to the train and bus station which is ideal for transport

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry about LCP. they are totally random and belive me, the place is not that great. the area is horrible.

Camberwell is better than LCP, quite a cool place, and better facilities and stuff.

Middlesex seemed good when i look round it, but the rest i cant comment on.

BTW, dont worry about ravensborune. Its horrible. Even tho it is only just outside london, i dont recommend it!!! I hated it. The ppl there were mean and HARSH.

What about westminster? They are good... dunno if they will do your course tho.

I've just applie to do graphics, so pm me if u need any more help or advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nef)
    Hey everyone, I had posted here a few months ago during my neverending search for a college.. Again I'm hoping you could give me some advice.

Firstly, currently all I need is an Art & Design Foundation course, one year, full time. (Accomodation isn't a problem, I'll be staying with relatives) That will help me later select perhaps an animation course, or could help me change my mind as to what I want to study. (I've been animating for only just over half a year, but I love it; you can look at my website www.neftoons.com for my experience level.)

You'd think finding a further education course would be easy.. but I don't currently live in the UK! I'm in Cyprus.. (No language problems, I'm fluent in English and Greek.) So I have to rely on internet information, without interviews or visiting the places..

London College of Printing/Communication had offered me an interview, which would take place in London. London Metropolitan and Middesex had also made me unconditional offers.. so I managed to convince the family to send me to London to check them out.

LCP rejected me, no reason given.. That really disappointed me. I really thought I could get there.. so now it's June, and I still haven't sorted this out, I'd started planning since last year!

I still have offers at the other two mentioned, but I had visited them during that time I'd gone to the LCP interview and wasn't very impressed, plus they'd accepted me from where i am now as an International Student.. I'm just unsure I want to spend a year there.

And now.. I've been spending hours researching more London Colleges that offer this course. Of course, all the colleges that seem interesting are too far away (Ravensbourne, Bournemouth), or full (Kingston).

I've emailed, filled online forms.. and now I have a conditional offer from Cavendish college, and an application form from Camberwell College of Arts, which said they can consider me if anyone drops out in August.. :rolleyes: . I know nothing about the schools and cannot visit them, and it's doing my head in.

So now I have to ask.. Can any of you tell me more about any of the schools I have mentioned above? (London Metropolitan, Middlesex, Cavendish, Camberwell College of Arts.) I'd greatly appreciate it, as no one seems to be able to give me an honest answer.

Could you also recommend any other colleges that offer this course?

Thanks for your help, and I apologise fo the long post.

-Nef
    Have you chcked out KIAD? - Kent Institute of Art and Design

ReputationRep:
    Sashh- Thanks for that, I'll email Peter and ask for some advice.. it's a shame theyre not near London though, I wouldn't mind attending that.

Jar- Ah, lucky you.. are you an animator?

Hester- I'm still going to send Camberwell a portfolio, there's not much chance I can go there this late, but still going to try for it. Heh, and about LCP, everyone who I've mentioned that they rejected me thinks they're mad :P Their loss. (Not that I'm so great, but I have my own qualities. I'm more a cartoonist than into Fine Art, that's prolly what they didn't like.) I'd have thought Ravensbourne was nice.. Ah well, now that's off my mind. Cheers.

Yawn1- I've heard of it and would love to go there, unfortunately it's too far away. I'm going to live in North London.

Thanks again for your replies, still if anyone knows about those colleges it'd be a big help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nef)
    Sashh- Thanks for that, I'll email Peter and ask for some advice.. it's a shame theyre not near London though, I wouldn't mind attending that.
    I think the forum is about once a month or once every two months, it's only 2 hours from London by train so you may be able to attend the od one.

good luck whatever you do.

ReputationRep:
    I know that Middlesex, the Cockfosters/Oakwood site does a really good and welll respected foundation art course. I've had friends that have gone there, and at the end of the year, the universities that they apply to are reallly impressed that they have been taught as middlesex, and with their portfolios n wot not. They give you alot of guidance and one 2 one help with chosing your deisgn path ( although uve already decided )
    Good luck.... I still dont know if i made the right choice doing maths instead of foundation art.......oh well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I live close to Ravensbourne and I know a number of people who go there.. from what they've said to me and from what I've seen it's a great college, with good social life and great prospects. If you definatley don't want to go to the two that have given you offers then give Ravensbourne a call. I know you said you live in North London, but commuting shouldn't be too difficult... 40 mins max?

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Orange Soap- Well when I visited Middlesex I wasn't very impressed.. the receptionist even described it as a "rabbit hole", I didn't even find the foundation teaching room, no one knew where it was! I don't know how many computers they have there either.. It would be nice to find a more computer-orientated foundation, but I'd be happty with a regular one.. I've heard good things about Middlesex though. To be honest what turns me off is their low entry requirements.
    Maths? That's my nightmare job, haha. Just keep trying and if you find you really do despise it, you can always just leave it and start elsewhere next year. One year might seem like a long time to "waste", but for decisions like this it's worth it.. I took a gap year and in that learned to animate!

Elle- As much as I'd like to, my family is kinda protective and wouldn't want me venturing off so far daily. Though I think I did email them a few days ago, and if they send me a form and all that I'll attempt to get a position anyway.

Animation really is something I enjoy, but I don't know yet if I want to follow it as a major.. I'm leaving my options open =) who knows, I might find something better that I'd like... Oh, I finished this today if you'd like to see, it is't uploaded to my website yet =) http://www.deviantart.com/view/7850663/

If I look like I'm babbling, it's cos I am. I just think better when talking about these things to others, I tend to panic on my own.. The nearest British Council is miles away and I have no car to get there, so I'm on my own

ReputationRep:
    www.ucl.ac.uk/slade/
    www.csm.linst.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    LCP are crazy however their selection process is rather cheeky. They get most of their funding through international student fees and stuff. My interviewer ripped me to shreds and I was practically BEGGING at one point. She then asked about myself and my interests and I just mentioned in passing I lived in a place called Arundel and her whole outlook changed. Just because it's a slightly posh community (dunno why I live here) suddenly I got my unconditional offer. All the people that went on my interview day 27 were international three (myself included) were British, I spoke to the other Brits and they all got rejected.

One of the people I saw go in for an interview was dressed head to toe in Gucci/Prada etc had wonderfully manicured nails and was in and out in seconds. We'd looked at each other's reports before and she couldn't even spell Iraq. She got in and someone else that was a bit pulled together but had a fantastic piece of work got rejected.

Random as hell!!!
    Don't worry Nef me old mucker! You'll be fine! You're talented and that's all you need

ReputationRep:
    I know nothing about this, other than to say that Camberwell College of Arts is incredibly highly regarded, so if you do get a place there, well done!

ReputationRep:
    hi
    i've just come back to britain after doing a postgrad Fine Art course in Lemba so i appreciate how hard and frustrating it is making applications from out there. I thought I'd suggest the Surrey Institute of Art and Design to you. My brother is currently doing a BA in Animation there. It's near London, so easy to get to & I think you have to apply by March but it could be different for International students.

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit and good luck with your applcations.
    Chris

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.