Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can't say chemistry is my fav subject (cause its maths), but can i join n e way?

And can I ask who of my soon to be fellow society members does Edexcel? I need your help in the form of markschemes if poss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ianaf18)
    Can't say chemistry is my fav subject (cause its maths), but can i join n e way?

And can I ask who of my soon to be fellow society members does Edexcel? I need your help in the form of markschemes if poss.
    I do Edexcel. I think a lot of people do.

ReputationRep:
    Can i join?....Im doin A level chemistry ...

ReputationRep:
    I would also like to join. I'm not in any societies, and as I do A2 Chem, I thought what better than to join a chem society!

I'm doing OCR Chem, with Methods of Analysis as the option module. It's a bit mundane, but hopefully I can still get an A overall in chem.

ReputationRep:
    cumon then, ud beta count me in!!
    dnt really get how this all works but oh well!!
    i think im a bit late!!

ReputationRep:
    Im studying A2 chem & should be off to study chem at manchester next yr.
    can i plz join.

ReputationRep:
    I want in!

I'm doing AS Chemistry, might do A2 next year (depending on results)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    so what is our responsibility?
    Basically, for all the chemists benefit, you would notify us of any events taking place in the real world concerning chemistry, for example there is an event taking place at the end of june at birmingham uni, also, if a certain member asks for help on chemistry related questions, you would be glad to help, thats all i guess

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm nt a member yet, but please can I become one?

I'm trying and failing to revise Edexcel A2 Chem and have come across a weird problem, that I don't understand:

"What is the ratio of [SO3]2- to [MnO4]- in the reaction between them?"
    :eek:

Apparently the ans is "5:2, so that oxidation no. of both change by 10.".... :confused: but I don't understand Since u all "love" ( :eek: ) chemistry an ANYBODY make it clearer to me please?!

Thanks a lot in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Can I join???

ReputationRep:
    can i join plz? I love chemistry and im going to study it at uni in september

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocopudlate)
    Hi I'm nt a member yet, but please can I become one?

I'm trying and failing to revise Edexcel A2 Chem and have come across a weird problem, that I don't understand:

:eek:

Apparently the ans is "5:2, so that oxidation no. of both change by 10.".... :confused: but I don't understand Since u all "love" ( :eek: ) chemistry an ANYBODY make it clearer to me please?!

Thanks a lot in advance.
    I've only just started A2 so sorry that i can't help, but hopefully one of the other members can help, also i've added u to the members list, just add it to your sig, x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocopudlate)
    You need both half equations.

[MnO4]- + 8H+ + 5e- ---> 4H2O + Mn2+

[SO3]2- + 2H+ ---> [SO4]2- + 2e-

Before combining, make sure the electrons balance. You need to multiply the first equation by 2 and the second by 5 to get 10 electrons either side. Upon doing so you can combine them to get:

2[MnO4]- + 5[SO3]2- + 26H+ ---> 8H2O + 2Mn2+ + 5[SO4]2-

ReputationRep:
    can i join?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babygal)
    Basically, for all the chemists benefit, you would notify us of any events taking place in the real world concerning chemistry, for example there is an event taking place at the end of june at birmingham uni, also, if a certain member asks for help on chemistry related questions, you would be glad to help, thats all i guess
    wowo is that it? ok cool, no pressure :p:D

ReputationRep:
    Can I join? Going to do Chem undergrad Masters at York as well if I get the grades

ReputationRep:
    Can I join please?
    I know I'm a bit slow on all the societies, but I'm going to catch up!

selkie

ReputationRep:
    Can I join?

do i just put it into my signature after posting this message?

ReputationRep:
    This is probably gettin a little repetitive now, but can I join??
    (Doing AS chemistry next year, and A level year after)
    Fi xx

ReputationRep:
    I want to join too

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 21, 2005
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.