The Student Room Group

Clearing 2015 - How to make it work for you :)

Found yourself in Clearing? Not sure where to turn? Check out TSR's Clearing Hub here for the detail of how Clearing works. This FAQ deals with some common queries people have about Clearing.

Surely it'll only be rubbish courses in Clearing?
Not so you’d be surprised what can come up, especially in Science subjects, and languages. The secret of success in Clearing is to be organised and to take a flexible approach. Many people with high grades find themselves in Clearing, and universities are especially interested in attracting those applicants, sometimes at the expense of people who missed their offers for competitive courses. The changes to the way that university places are funded mean that universities are able to transfer places from one course to another, so it may choose to recruit more students in a popular subject it does well rather than continue to struggle to recruit people for a less popular course.

When do I get my Clearing Number, and why do I need it?
Your Clearing number will show up on your Track as soon as you are eligible. This will be as soon as you are in the position where you have an ‘active’ application but are holding no offers. People who applied after 30th June, or who applied before then but did not get any offers/declined those they had, will have Clearing Numbers already. People who missed their offers will get their Clearing Number once the final ‘unsuccessful’ decision reaches UCAS. You can approach universities informally without a Clearing Number, but they won't be able to confirm anything until you do have a number, since they will be unable to view your application. There is the risk that the vacancy that was available at 11am has gone by 2pm, so if you are thinking of ditching a confirmed place to try your luck in Clearing you'll need to make sure the Clearing uni will hold the place for you and that you know exactly how long you have to get your Clearing Number.

When do I enter a Clearing Choice on Track?
You will not be able to enter a Clearing choice until 5pm on Results Day, when full functionality on Track is restored, so don't worry. The unis will know this and won't be expecting miracles! If a uni has made you a Clearing offer at midday, you won't lose it because you haven't entered the choice on Track at 12.05 :smile:

You can only enter one choice at a time for a Clearing place, and it is important that you do not do this until a university confirms that you should do so, effectively making you an offer. If you didn't discuss your application with the university beforehand, the chances are you will get a rejection, and not necessarily quickly. If a decision is outstanding, you won't be able to enter a new choice, so if you have entered one 'by mistake' you will need to get the university to reject you ASAP. You can continue to add Clearing Choices, one at a time, until you are successful.

Can I talk to more than one university at a time?
Yes, and indeed you should. Keep notes of all your conversations with uni staff (when, who, what they said, what you said, who is going to do what next and by when). You can't make a clearing choice on Track until the evening of Results Day, so you have plenty of time to ring several different universities and you can be given multiple verbal offers, although you can ultimately only add one of them as your Clearing choice on Track.

Is it worth ‘cold-calling’?
Every year there are reports of people getting places through Clearing at universities that claim not to participate in it and don't appear in the list of vacancies. If you are really determined to give it a try and don’t mind a brisk and possibly not very polite response, no reason why you shouldn’t. Just don’t hold out too much hope, that’s all.

Will universities reduce their entry requirements in Clearing?
It's important to be realistic about entry requirements: universities may reduce them for Clearing applicants, but as often as not they won't. Offering BBB against a stated requirement of ABB is unlikely to succeed, even if you have something else to offer that is unusual. Universities will often give an indication of the entry requirements on their Clearing pages, but if not you can assume that the grade requirements are the same as stated in their online prospectus. If you don't meet the stated entry requirements you may have a better chance of success if there are still places to be filled after a few days.

What should I think about when choosing between Clearing Offers?
This article is worth a read :smile:

What happens when a uni makes me a Clearing offer?
Usually the university admissions tutor will tell you over the phone if they would like you to enter them as a Clearing choice. They should confirm their offer by email, so if this isn't mentioned during your conversation ask them to do so. The uni will normally set a time-scale for you to have entered your Clearing choice on Track. It is essential that you meet any deadline you have been set if you want to take up the offer. Keep all emails and take screen shots if appropriate. Once you have entered your Clearing choice, the university will send through a decision and your place will be confirmed on Track, although not necessarily immediately! If no decision is showing within 24 hours (excluding weekends) contact the uni and ask what's happening. If the university appears to be messing you about, contact UCAS and ask for advice.

Can a University reject me after I've entered a Clearing Choice on Track?
They can, although if the uni confirmed their interest in offering you a place verbally or by email and you have met any deadlines they set they certainly shouldn't. Contact UCAS for advice in this situation.

Will I have time to visit the universities before making up my mind?
You should ask any universities who show an interest in your application what arrangements there are for Clearing applicants who want to visit before making up their minds. As time-scales have become increasingly tight over the years you may unfortunately not have the opportunity to visit before making your decision, though it's important to visit if you can so that you can get a good feel for the place - after all you may be spending the next 3 years there!

What if there’s nothing that appeals to me?
It is not the end of the world if you don't find something suitable; much better an unexpected gap year than making the wrong choice and dropping out by Christmas! When you don’t enter a Clearing choice on your Track, your application for this year will lapse, leaving you free to re-apply next year with a full range of unis to choose from. If there are still unis waiting to hear from you, it would be courteous (and a kindness to other applicants who may want the place you don’t) to let them know by email as soon as possible that you aren't taking up their offer/are no longer interested.

I accepted a Clearing offer but I’ve changed my mind
Strictly speaking, once your clearing choice has been accepted on Track your only option is to withdraw from UCAS altogether for this year. It would be courteous to let the university know that you have done so as soon as possible so they can give the place to someone else. Once you've accepted an offer through Clearing, you are not supposed to change your mind and apply elsewhere. However, it has been known for people to be able to persuade their Clearing choice to release them so that another Clearing choice can be entered on Track.

I applied for a place in Clearing but they turned me down: I'm sure it's because I have a disability as they asked me about it
Courtesy of wdywuk: "Every university has to ask the question and while we try to remember to ask it AFTER we have made an offer occasionally we get it wrong and ask it before we say yes or no. Applicants then wonder whether it was declaring a disability that caused them to be turned out. Rest assured that will NOT have been the reason for being turned down. It's just like you having the opportunity on your original UCAS form to declare a disability so that the relevant support could be put in place for the start of your studies. Advisors with access to web-link can see your original application form, but most of the staff on clearing won't be able to, so its important that they ask the question and start the ball rolling with organising the support. Again no matter what you say, it will not affect the decision!"
(edited 8 years ago)
Here at the University of Northampton we still have spaces available through clearing and we may have a place for you! With a wide range of course and 96% employability then it is definitely worth giving us a call for all your clearing needs! You can reach us on 01604 214808

www.starttheconversation.co.uk

Laura :smile:
Can anyone help me with clearing? I have received an offer, can i accept it and still go to another interview on thursday? If i then am offered a place on thursday and decide to take that place. What do i do? I havent a clue!
Reply 3
Original post by Longweight
Can anyone help me with clearing? I have received an offer, can i accept it and still go to another interview on thursday? If i then am offered a place on thursday and decide to take that place. What do i do? I havent a clue!
Hello - I've moved this into a more appropriate thread for your question.

You can only enter one Clearing choice. If you were to enter the one you have now, and are accepted, then you would have to get the uni concerned to release you back into Clearing before the uni interviewing you on Thursday could confirm an offer.

Your best bet is to take the opportunity you have, unless they've given you a very long deadline to enter them as a Clearing choice, and see what happens next.
Right ok, thank you. I am a mature student and its a postgrad course. I havent used ucas since it was a paper application! Wasnt sure if i have to wait til the outcome of my interview on thursday but didnt want to risk loosing the offer i have now :smile:
Hi guys
I'm thinking of going into clearing for a history degree at Leicester, however I received BCC in my a levels and the clearing requirement is BBC, I'm hoping to get one of my RE papers remarked in which I received an E, however for RE overall I'm currently on 277 so just 3 ums off a B grade overall. If I get the paper remarked it could take up to 18 days in that time the course may be taken off clearing or the accommodation might run out of places. I need some information or some form of guidance, shall I call Leicester and if so what do I say to them? Are they able to keep me in the books or put an offer on hold, also I've already been accepted into Essex but I need to confirm my accommodation in the next 5 days, if I don't then I'll lose that. So as you can tell I'm in a bit of a tuff, risky spot, someone help! Btw ignore my punctuation error I'm current having a nervous breakdown.
Reply 6
Right ok, thank you. I am a mature student and its a postgrad course. I havent used ucas since it was a paper application! Wasnt sure if i have to wait til the outcome of my interview on thursday but didnt want to risk loosing the offer i have now :smile:

Ah then this thread isn't the right place at all!

UCAS is not relevant at all. For postgrad courses, you can have as many offers as you like. If the deadline for accepting the one you have is 26th August, that still gives you time to see the uni on Thursday this week and see what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Umar_Hussain
Hi guys
I'm thinking of going into clearing for a history degree at Leicester, however I received BCC in my a levels and the clearing requirement is BBC, I'm hoping to get one of my RE papers remarked in which I received an E, however for RE overall I'm currently on 277 so just 3 ums off a B grade overall. If I get the paper remarked it could take up to 18 days in that time the course may be taken off clearing or the accommodation might run out of places. I need some information or some form of guidance, shall I call Leicester and if so what do I say to them? Are they able to keep me in the books or put an offer on hold, also I've already been accepted into Essex but I need to confirm my accommodation in the next 5 days, if I don't then I'll lose that. So as you can tell I'm in a bit of a tuff, risky spot, someone help! Btw ignore my punctuation error I'm current having a nervous breakdown.
If you have a place at Essex confirmed, Leicester can't offer you anything unless you have been released back into Clearing. You can talk to Leicester if you like but they may not be willing to commit themselves while you aren't in Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Minerva
Ah then this thread isn't the right place at all!

UCAS is not relevant at all. For postgrad courses, you can have as many offers as you like. If the deadline for accepting the one you have is 26th August, that still gives you time to see the uni on Thursday this week and see what they say.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because it was an MA in social care i have had to apply through ucas. I really appreciate your advice. I am somewhat confused by it all.
Original post by Minerva
If you have a place at Essex confirmed, Leicester can't offer you anything unless you have been released back into Clearing. You can talk to Leicester if you like but they may not be willing to commit themselves while you aren't in Clearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i haven't told them about my Essex place, If I reject that offer would they reserve me a place until I find the results of my remark?then again if my grade doesn't change and I reject Essex I'll be left with no where to go next year so to reject Essex at this point is too big of a risk to take.
Reply 10
okay so I have got a place at a different uni to the one I originally applied to. My question is do I have to submit a new student finance form or do I simply tell them of the change? thanks x
Original post by Hanna07
okay so I have got a place at a different uni to the one I originally applied to. My question is do I have to submit a new student finance form or do I simply tell them of the change? thanks x

just call them and tell them of the change shouldnt take long to do:smile:
Reply 12
Original post by claireestelle
just call them and tell them of the change shouldnt take long to do:smile:

Thankyou xx
Reply 13
Because it was an MA in social care i have had to apply through ucas. I really appreciate your advice. I am somewhat confused by it all.
Me too, on this one! I confess I have no knowledge of this particular idiosyncrasy so maybe a call to the UCAS hotline would help to clarify what you can and can't do in these circumstances. [PS - post back and let me know - always ready to learn :tongue:]

Original post by Umar_Hussain
i haven't told them about my Essex place, If I reject that offer would they reserve me a place until I find the results of my remark?then again if my grade doesn't change and I reject Essex I'll be left with no where to go next year so to reject Essex at this point is too big of a risk to take.
You can't 'reject' your Essex place - you would have to ask them to release you into Clearing, and as you have realised there is no guarantee that Leicester would pick you up.

So what have Leicester said to you? The problem for them (and you) is that relying on the outcome of a priority re-mark is risky - what if it doesn't come out in your favour?

Unless you really don't want to go to Essex in any case, I'd advise sticking with what you have.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hello I had an interview in last Tuesday . I was given an offer (not sure if it's conditional or unconditional) they said they were gonna put it on track within 24hours. It's Thursday now and still track sing updated. Should I call them tomorrow or wait longer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sasha_Coopers
Hello I had an interview in last Tuesday . I was given an offer (not sure if it's conditional or unconditional) they said they were gonna put it on track within 24hours. It's Thursday now and still track sing updated. Should I call them tomorrow or wait longer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If they said they were going to put it on track within 24 hours, but have not done so then I would give them a call tomorrow.
Just wondering, if you get into a uni through clearing, what are your chances of getting halls accommodation?
Reply 17
Original post by Excuse Me!
Just wondering, if you get into a uni through clearing, what are your chances of getting halls accommodation?
Depends on the uni - but at this stage, in most cases they are probably not great. Only way to find out is to ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending