Turn on thread page Beta

Digital Cameras watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    what you think about this one?

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/stor...uct&sku=920642

ReputationRep:
    Its ok, but I got a better one for that for much less elsewhere. Dixons is very expensive.

Morgan, Jessops, Ebuyer.com are probably the best bet for digital cameras. Some times Argos have good ones in the sale too.

ReputationRep:
    why do you say its not very good? its got 4 megapixel etc. can you find me an example then of one that is good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    what you think about this one?

http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/stor...uct&sku=920642
    No optical zoom. You def want optical zoom - means that each time you zoom in optically the resolution will not be affected...don't pay attention to digital zoom...everytime u zoom in the resolution will decrease.

ReputationRep:
    oh cool thanks for the advice, have you got a digital camera? if so how much was it and where u get it from?

ReputationRep:
    have a look at this for £99

http://www.jessops.com/search/viewpr...&WORD_SEARCH=N&

I have the one above that which I got for £90 at Morgan however they have sold out.,

ReputationRep:
    why do you say its not very good? its got 4 megapixel etc. can you find me an example then of one that is good?
    It's actually a 2.1 megapixel camera. The 4 million pixel figure is because of fuji's super CCD technology which utilizes larger 'octagonal' shaped pixels. You should have a look on dpreview.com for digital camera reviews before you buy.

ReputationRep:
    oh cool thanks for the advice, have you got a digital camera? if so how much was it and where u get it from?
    I have a fuji s5000...it's quite a professional one though cos I do a lot of photography. I bought it for around 300 with a wide angle lens when it first came out last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I have a fuji s5000...it's quite a professional one though cos I do a lot of photography. I bought it for around 300 with a wide angle lens when it first came out last year.
    I had to chance to buy that for £200, however I just didn't have the money, it is a very nice camera though, those lens are just so damn sexy. As most my photography is just web based my current camera is more than good enough though, I can get decent A4 prints from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I had to chance to buy that for £200, however I just didn't have the money, it is a very nice camera though, those lens are just so damn sexy. As most my photography is just web based my current camera is more than good enough though, I can get decent A4 prints from it.
    Yeah I'm really pleased with it...I mainly got it for the 10x optical zoom. Have you got a website with your photography on? Would be interesting to have a look.

ReputationRep:
    Erm I have a good picture here:

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/chorlton/chorlton1.jpg

That was taken with my new Fuji A210 (3.2 megapixel, 3x optial zoom f 5.5-16.5mm)

These pictures here were taken with my old Fuji 1300 (1.3 megapixel no optical zoom)

www.robertson-i.co.uk/manchester.asp

ReputationRep:
    i got a nice new fuji finepix f410 with ccd, hlaf price (£150) at dixons last weekend... very nice little camera and much smaller and more beautiful than anything else i looked at, very impressed. has some real cute features like a really neat on off button and so so so easy to use. 3.1 mpixels (6 mil recorded) and 3x optical zoom. its not much bigger than a chunky minidisc player. think its being replaced by the f420 (same spec just a couple of extra pointless features) so is on offer in a few places... get it, well worth it.
    oh yeah, fujis are soooo the easiest digital cameras to use... my last one was one too... the olympus one before came to a very sticky end!

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Minolta E323, and it's pretty cool, I can make movies with it, and it's of really good quality. It has no sound though, my sisters digi cam has though, hers is a minolta too, though a different type, obviously.

ReputationRep:
    Check out www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk - they have a huge range and pretty good prices.

ReputationRep:
    For reviews and stuff, the two main sites that I used were http://www.imaging-resource.com and http://www.stevesdigicams.com - they have really good descriptions of nearly every camera, and sample photos etc etc.
    On sony cameras the digital zoom doesn't reduce the quality of the picture because it uses the unused pixels (eg at VGA size (640x480) you can get 4x zoom without any loss of quality on a 5 mega pixel camera) - of course this limits you to small pictures but its quite useful anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Its ok, but I got a better one for that for much less elsewhere. Dixons is very expensive.

Morgan, Jessops, Ebuyer.com are probably the best bet for digital cameras. Some times Argos have good ones in the sale too.
    I found Jessops really good. I went in had a look at the cameras, the staff will show you different features, let you take pics all the stuff Dixons et al won't.

Once I'd picked my camera the Jessops staff told me they 'price match' with the internet so if I could find the same camera cheeper on the internet and bring proof (printout) they would drop the price of the camera to match the internet price.

fuji make really good cameras- i have a finepixA303 which is alright, cost me about £150 although i did get it from a computer warehouse place that sells to buisiness accounts..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    I found Jessops really good. I went in had a look at the cameras, the staff will show you different features, let you take pics all the stuff Dixons et al won't.
    I used to manage the photography department in one of the Dixons stores and we spent a great deal of time demonstrating cameras to customers.....Admittedly in some Dixons stores the sales staff have about as much knowledge as a peanut but I don't think it's fair to say that Dixons don't offer the customer service that Jessops do - in my store we certainly did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)

Once I'd picked my camera the Jessops staff told me they 'price match' with the internet so if I could find the same camera cheeper on the internet and bring proof (printout) they would drop the price of the camera to match the internet price.
    Yeah I hate dixons with a passion, somebody on this thread mentioned they got a digital camera for £150, the same model was £92 at Morgan.

Dixons is extremely expensive, they charge £50 for their matsui DVD player when the quality is a lot worse than a cheapo £25 supermarket one. Don't get me started on their customer service skills, they employ people who are good at selling stuff, not people with any technical knowledge. The amount of times I have gone in that shop for a laugh at the idiot salemen coming out with such dribble.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hate dixons with a passion, somebody on this thread mentioned they got a digital camera for £150, the same model was £92 at Morgan.

Dixons is extremely expensive, they charge £50 for their matsui DVD player when the quality is a lot worse than a cheapo £25 supermarket one. Don't get me started on their customer service skills, they employ people who are good at selling stuff, not people with any technical knowledge. The amount of times I have gone in that shop for a laugh at the idiot salemen coming out with such dribble.
    Especially some of the guff the salesmen give out in the computer department

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.