The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
cobra01977
Especially some of the guff the salesmen give out in the computer department

Yep when I was 15 me and my mate went into dixons on a right wind up, their was some crappy ovepriced parkard bell so we asked them what chipset the motherboard was based on, the salsmen didn't have a clue but went onto to explaining that is was good for doing homework on and you could even do home work on it.

All their companies are just as bad and people wonder why I am such a big fan of RicherSounds and local computer shops.
Reply 41
amazingtrade
Yeah I hate dixons with a passion, somebody on this thread mentioned they got a digital camera for £150, the same model was £92 at Morgan.

Dixons is extremely expensive, they charge £50 for their matsui DVD player when the quality is a lot worse than a cheapo £25 supermarket one. Don't get me started on their customer service skills, they employ people who are good at selling stuff, not people with any technical knowledge. The amount of times I have gone in that shop for a laugh at the idiot salemen coming out with such dribble.

:rolleyes: at the end of the day, they are a company who sells stuff to the average bloke who knows nothing about tvs, videos, computers.
considering they need to employ lots of people and these people need to cover a wide range of departments, theyre not really gonna know everything about everything.
plus, if they would employed people with specific skills, those people would be confined to their departments, would demand more money and drive the prices up (that is, assuming that theres an infinite number of knowledgeable people willing to work at dixons, which there arent :rolleyes: )

oh and that camera sells at £130 at morgan, and thats a refurb, not brand new.
Reply 42
kikzen
:rolleyes: at the end of the day, they are a company who sells stuff to the average bloke who knows nothing about tvs, videos, computers.
considering they need to employ lots of people and these people need to cover a wide range of departments, theyre not really gonna know everything about everything.
plus, if they would employed people with specific skills, those people would be confined to their departments, would demand more money and drive the prices up (that is, assuming that theres an infinite number of knowledgeable people willing to work at dixons, which there arent :rolleyes: )

oh and that camera sells at £130 at morgan, and thats a refurb, not brand new.

Yeah I got a refurb one but it still comes with a brand new box, all the brand new components, brand new plastic casing, full 12 month warranty so I think the savings worth it. As for staff plenty of other companies seem to able to employ knowlegable stuff, such as Richersounds, Maplin etc. It was £90 too, compared with dixons £150 price tag.
Reply 43
amazingtrade
Yeah I hate dixons with a passion, somebody on this thread mentioned they got a digital camera for £150, the same model was £92 at Morgan.

Dixons is extremely expensive, they charge £50 for their matsui DVD player when the quality is a lot worse than a cheapo £25 supermarket one. Don't get me started on their customer service skills, they employ people who are good at selling stuff, not people with any technical knowledge. The amount of times I have gone in that shop for a laugh at the idiot salemen coming out with such dribble.

I can understand completely why you hate Dixons - most of the people I worked with didn't have a clue. There is so much pressure to sell that the manager actually encouraged sales staff to lie in order to make a sale...hence the reason I left. Personally, I would never shop there knowing what goes on behind the scenes now.
Reply 44
who_me
I can understand completely why you hate Dixons - most of the people I worked with didn't have a clue. There is so much pressure to sell that the manager actually encouraged sales staff to lie in order to make a sale...hence the reason I left. Personally, I would never shop there knowing what goes on behind the scenes now.

Yep I've seen the sale staff lie there before, I really don't agree with all this commission stuff. Its why if I want a window, I will go to a small two man company who will be 20 times cheaper and won't sell somthing for comission.

You can tell which staff are on commision by the product they try and sell you. As for extended warranties don't even get me started on that huge rip off.
Reply 45
amazingtrade
Yeah I got a refurb one but it still comes with a brand new box, all the brand new components, brand new plastic casing, full 12 month warranty so I think the savings worth it. As for staff plenty of other companies seem to able to employ knowlegable stuff, such as Richersounds, Maplin etc. It was £90 too, compared with dixons £150 price tag.

richersounds are very small in comparison, and very focused. tbh i dont think maplin really hires anyone particularly knowledgable, but theyre small too, anyway.

like i said, they sell to the novice, people who like the convenience of having the stuffthere and then, not worried abotu the price - thats how it works.
Reply 46
amazingtrade
Yep I've seen the sale staff lie there before, I really don't agree with all this commission stuff. Its why if I want a window, I will go to a small two man company who will be 20 times cheaper and won't sell somthing for comission.

You can tell which staff are on commision by the product they try and sell you. As for extended warranties don't even get me started on that huge rip off.

Yeah I came to the conclusion that I am too honest to work in sales. My manager wasn't exactly happy when he heard me telling someone to shop online for an mp3 player instead of buying one from Dixons...
Reply 47
who_me
Yeah I came to the conclusion that I am too honest to work in sales. My manager wasn't exactly happy when he heard me telling someone to shop online for an mp3 player instead of buying one from Dixons...

Hehe I admire you, I went for a job interview at PCWORLD once and after him telligm me about the competiveness, sales targets, etc I knew I couldn't do it. I would be telling people you don't need this £1200 PC, this £300 one would be perfect for your needs etc.

They are closing 1/3 of Dixons stores down now and to be honest it dosn't really surprise me.
Reply 48
amazingtrade
Hehe I admire you, I went for a job interview at PCWORLD once and after him telligm me about the competiveness, sales targets, etc I knew I couldn't do it. I would be telling people you don't need this £1200 PC, this £300 one would be perfect for your needs etc.

They are closing 1/3 of Dixons stores down now and to be honest it dosn't really surprise me.

Nope, me neither...the whole Dixons group is just a load of crap.
Reply 49
i used to work in a phone shop... they were obsessed with sales targets! pushing extra services and stuff like that got you huge amounts of commision and bonuses. because i was a pain in the ass and didnt really care about money i'd just spend hours and hours with customers i liked and neglect all my very lucritive business clients (cos they were all wankers and didnt deserve my help)... the hours i spent helping my blind customers (think i was the only one who ever served our disabled customer-base) learn how to use their phones and setting up synchs with peoples laptops etc... everyone else was just sell sell sell. targets are forced down your throats every day - major pressure - and if i had desperately needed the money i probably wouldve just worked to get commision (ie, not discussed memory needs and all that, just alwys sold them the most expensive) but as it was i didnt give a damn and used to just try and enjoy my work. people appreciate that, my customers used to come back in with boxes of chocolates for me!

another dig at dixons staff: a couple of years ago one tried to short-change me by £20!!! they kicked up a real fuss when i refused to pay the extra £20 and took my details down saying i'd have to come back and pay if the till didnt balance!!! got a phonecall that night from the store manager appologising for the "appalling" behaviour of his staff!!!
Reply 50
fifi53
i used to work in a phone shop... they were obsessed with sales targets! pushing extra services and stuff like that got you huge amounts of commision and bonuses. because i was a pain in the ass and didnt really care about money i'd just spend hours and hours with customers i liked and neglect all my very lucritive business clients (cos they were all wankers and didnt deserve my help)... the hours i spent helping my blind customers (think i was the only one who ever served our disabled customer-base) learn how to use their phones and setting up synchs with peoples laptops etc... everyone else was just sell sell sell. targets are forced down your throats every day - major pressure - and if i had desperately needed the money i probably wouldve just worked to get commision (ie, not discussed memory needs and all that, just alwys sold them the most expensive) but as it was i didnt give a damn and used to just try and enjoy my work. people appreciate that, my customers used to come back in with boxes of chocolates for me!

another dig at dixons staff: a couple of years ago one tried to short-change me by £20!!! they kicked up a real fuss when i refused to pay the extra £20 and took my details down saying i'd have to come back and pay if the till didnt balance!!! got a phonecall that night from the store manager appologising for the "appalling" behaviour of his staff!!!

Yeah we used to get old people coming in asking if we would put batteries in their TV remote controls and all the sales staff used to run away - I was the only one who would bother helping! I actually spent an hour with this old woman once who bought a 6.99 remote control and then wanted me to show her how it worked!
Reply 51
kikzen
richersounds are very small in comparison, and very focused. tbh i dont think maplin really hires anyone particularly knowledgable, but theyre small too, anyway.

like i said, they sell to the novice, people who like the convenience of having the stuffthere and then, not worried abotu the price - thats how it works.

I used to work in Maplin weekends, and most of the guys were very good. Also I think they tend to hire geeky students for part time work, so they get their money's worth there...

On the cameras front, http://www.7dayshop.com and http://www.pixmania.com/uk/uk/index.html are good for prices. Apparently the service can be dodgy at times, but I've used them both and have had no problems.
I prefer Fuji as well, they seem to do the best value for money in this price range, and they're good quality too.
this has turned into a "i hate dixons" thread...the service is often bad but you cant expect large electrical stores like that to have staff that know everything about everything they sell, especially considering who they employ...

no offence to my friends but alot of them work in comet selling kitchen things they no nothing about!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending