The Student Room Group

What are the best economics school in UK & US?

I will apply for some economics school in UK and possible in US. I am especially interested in LSE.

My Subjects combination is:

Economics HL
Math HL
Physics HL
Chemistry HL
English A2 HL
Finnish A1 SL

I have 5 hl so there is a problem - I think IBO doesn't allow me to write these everything as HL so I have to write just 3 (not pretty sure though). I would like to maximise my potentiality to get in LSE or some other highly ranked Economics School. I'm especially interested in Economics(macro/banking/hedging etc) & Politics + Math.

So what should I do to make sure that I have the highest probability to get in LSE? And what would be other alternatives besides LSE? What are the best economics school in UK & US?

As for EE, what topics in Economics would these Unis respect at most? I would like to do my EE on macroeconomics. Any suggestions? Btw, is there any database of EE samples in Economics with highest grades?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
a constructive post: LOL

There are tons of schools that are good for economics. Apart from LSE, oxbrigde, warwick, ... ah, just check the times good university guide...the top five and that's it. For US you'll need sat's ... and again check ranks: harvard, upenn, brown, yale, columbia, .... can't go wrong with these

othewise, yes, you can't take 5 HL, no way, but you can 4 and also take examination in it. My suggestion, since you're so struggling to suit unis (although it's a wrong lifelong approach) take english A2 SL, other subjects keep HL.

For EE in econ. i really wouldn't know + i think unis won't really care where you're doing your ee, so write about you're actually interested in (for a change:wink:)

Good luck next year though, you gonna need it (according to your subjects)

P.S.: there's no such thing as probability for LSE, it's more a matter of luck:wink:
1. You can't take 5 HL
2. Even taking 4 HL is crazily overachieving that doesn't improve your chances at getting into uni, it just makes you go crazy and increase your work load.
3. US: look into Harvard, Yale, Columbia, Brown, Georgetown, Dartmouth etc etc etc. All the big ones are bound to be good at anything.
4. Unis don't care much about your EE. You can send it, there's no guarantee they'll read it. For US unis it depends a lot on your application essays, your SATs and your references anyway.
Reply 3
Hm, is it just me, or do I see resemblance in last two posts?:wink:

hehe:smile:

Actually, doing a 4th HL in Language B (i guess also A2) is really nothing...i mean, for me it is as doing the SL; really not such a great difference. And i think it does look good on your uni application; well at least for the UK
Reply 4
If you feel you will have a use of the 4 HL's then go for it! I had 4 HL's until we were to register for exams, then I dropped economics, because I knew by then that I wouldn't want to study eco at university. I agree with the above posters that dropping language as the 5th is the correct move.
Some uni's might care about EE, so I'd advice you to write it in economics, or maths (if you e.g. are interested doing economics and maths at university).
Reply 5
What about in UK? There are Oxford & Cambridge but I do not know whether they are good at economics? I am little interested in Edinburg University due to Adam Smith & financial perspective. But I am not sure on which place it is in international rankings. Though more I'm interested in the subject offered so in that sense, Edinburg would be quite suitable.

But what do I know of these universities: There are politics+math+economics in LSE, Oxford has everything + its reputation and Edinburg has at least famous economist. Well, quite little - some rankings for best economics schools?

But as I am also fond of banking/hedging I think LSE would be in that sense the right choice. I think universities in US are relative expensive for your undergraduate dibloma. Any exception?
nomasaya
Hm, is it just me, or do I see resemblance in last two posts?

it's just you :rolleyes:

Pekka
I think universities in US are relative expensive for your undergraduate dibloma.

actually Id say UK is more expensive for international students. and in the US you have chance of really good scholarship deals while the msot you'll get on scholarship in the UK is 50%.

Edinburgh is good. :wink:
Reply 7
Harvard, Columbia, and University of Chicago are especially strong in Econ. Brown and Dartmouth, I'd venture to say not so much.
Reply 8
HMSChocolate
it's just you :rolleyes:

Mine was meant ironic?..I hope your's too:wink:
nomasaya
Mine was meant ironic?..I hope your's too

well I really should be posting more in Groovemeister's sarcasm thread since it's being understood so well here :rolleyes: (sorry totally off topic and I'll shut up now and move my sarcasm to the right thread.)
Reply 10
nota bene

Some uni's might care about EE, so I'd advice you to write it in economics, or maths (if you e.g. are interested doing economics and maths at university).

Ou, I have not even thought of math ...hm it would also be wise due to you should be good at math in LSE & EE would reflect it. Topic? Banking + math = probability and probability + politics = chaos theory :smile: And hedging + math = economics :p:

Well, I think the topic should be more specific infinite is too "speculative" and wide. Hmm... is there some specific topic in enonomics which would still be counted as math EE? Econometrics but is it too much of staticstics + economics? This is quite hard 'cos the topic have to be specific. Probability in something? Lorenz curve :rolleyes: Nope, some mathematical theory related to banking :confused: My EE is about inflation + probability -- Black Monday! "What was the impact of interest rate policy to the US economy from 1929 to 1935 with respect to Keynesian economic theory?" Should it be more specific? But that would be economics EE lol
HMSChocolate

actually Id say UK is more expensive for international students. and in the US you have chance of really good scholarship deals while the msot you'll get on scholarship in the UK is 50%.

Yes, for _international_ students it might be... OP though is from EU...hence it will be considerably cheaper.

For rankings I am not sure specifically about economics, but LSE and Oxbridge are definitely top-5.
Here is a list of Top 100 in world for social sciences, undewr which I guess economics falls often...(combined with maths it might fall under 'science', but check that list then...)http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/ARWU-FIELD2007/SOC.htm

edit: a UK link for economics rankings...http://www.thegooduniversityguide.org.uk/subject_tables_2006.php?selected_table=econ
Reply 12
id say London School of Economics.

btw..i did my EE in economics..and I looked into externalities
Reply 13
midnit3owl
id say London School of Economics.

I looked into externalities

Did you do your own research ie gathering information yourself by interviewing and so on? There are so many externalities present that you surely had to outline the topic in a more specific manner. Our teacher said that it is terrible difficult to get full marks of economics - not sure though whether it is true? I think it is so in every subject.

What do you think of this topic: "How has the interest rates policy of US affected income elasticity of demand on inferior goods in US between 2001 & 2006?" This would be very engaging topic. Comments?!

Btw, has anyone got A from his/her EE in economics?
LSE doesnt look for econs HL, but maths HL is a must.

so keep physics maths HL, incase u want to transfer to engineering. I'm doing maths physics and econs HL :biggrin:
Reply 15
HMSChocolate

Scholarships, yes, but financial aid, no way. Colleges don't like to give out financial aid to international students, because they don't get the tax deduction for "making college more accessibe". Scholarships, by which you mean money you have to apply for as a form of competition, well, it might be easier... I don't know.
zackinbaltimore
Scholarships, yes, but financial aid, no way. Colleges don't like to give out financial aid to international students, because they don't get the tax deduction for "making college more accessibe". Scholarships, by which you mean money you have to apply for as a form of competition, well, it might be easier... I don't know.

Yeah that's what I meant. If you're a great student who can do well then you have a good chance with the scholarships. But yes they are rather competitive.
Reply 17
LSE is the best choice if u want to do economics and go into a banking/financial career + the uni is located in London (the world largest financial center! = plenty of opportunities)

Assuming that ure Finnish, and u wil thus be payin uk fees. Lse will be alot cheaper than american unis.

Whats most important is that u WILL obtain a final grade of at least 38-40 to even be considered entry, with grade 7 in your highers including MAths higher. I have quite a few friends at LSE doin eco. They say that everything is basically maths (calculus, statistics)
Try and be invovled in extracurricular activies as they look for leadership/teamwork/motivation etc qualities, meaning that u should allow yourself some spare time and not only concentrate on school work.

So choose carefully the subjects u know u will perform well in. I would drop English A2 and chemistry, as these r not important and do not involve heavy maths as physics does. Having Higher level Maths, phys, and econ is impressive enough!
Reply 18
Miss_Sixty

Try and be invovled in extracurricular activies as they look for leadership/teamwork/motivation etc qualities, meaning that u should allow yourself some spare time and not only concentrate on school work.

So choose carefully the subjects u know u will perform well in. I would drop English A2 and chemistry, as these r not important and do not involve heavy maths as physics does. Having Higher level Maths, phys, and econ is impressive enough!

You read my mind :smile: As for leadership, well i've been part of pupil council one year in comprehensive school :biggrin: Arg, I have to make up something really quickly - member of Unicef, enough? No. Something impressive well I'll do that. Well, I'm a member of Math Olympic Team - I have to rehearse. Thanks for your reply you can't think how much I appreciate it! I will get in that LSE.

Can you recommend some site or something to practise? Btw, is there any site which would help with EE in economics? Or what do you think would they appreciate more EE in Math or Physics or Economics? I would already have a fantastic topic in Physics.
If you are definitely going to do economics I see little use of a physics EE. Maths would be OK, and possibly preferable if you are going to study a maths/economics course, whilst if you are more into management/economics I think Economics EE would be at least as good. Really I'd go for maths or economics.

Latest

Trending

Trending