The Student Room Group

Foundation courses

Hi I am trying to find out information about foundation years at uni and was wondering if anyone could help.

My boyfriend is 23 years old and stuck in a rubbish minimum wage job. He would obviously like to get out of this and get a proper career but he has no qualifications, apart from a few GCSES.

Are GCSES enough to get onto a foundation year at uni? He would like to do something to do with engineering or construction, which are available to do as a foundation course.

Would the university take into account that he's a bit older and is obviously willing to do this?

Sorry if it's a bit rambling, just if anyone knows anything that could help advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
well if he wat's a foundation degree or HND he need 80 ucas pnts you can do a one year fast track a leval to get that well worth it he will need to get a C grade or he could do a Access cource
(edited 8 years ago)
I think it will be possible but I doubt he would be looking at entry into a top uni. Most of the courses will still require 300+ ucas points because they are designed for people who did the wrong subjects. However some decent unis will be asking for 120-180 ucas points. If he aims for these universities, emails the department showing his interest and writes a decent personal statement I honestly can't see him being refused entry. Only problem is I think most will require GCSE English and Maths at C or above though.
Original post by -Venus
Hi I am trying to find out information about foundation years at uni and was wondering if anyone could help.

My boyfriend is 23 years old and stuck in a rubbish minimum wage job. He would obviously like to get out of this and get a proper career but he has no qualifications, apart from a few GCSES.

Are GCSES enough to get onto a foundation year at uni? He would like to do something to do with engineering or construction, which are available to do as a foundation course.

Would the university take into account that he's a bit older and is obviously willing to do this?

Sorry if it's a bit rambling, just if anyone knows anything that could help advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Some universities do take people with GCSE's on their foundation course as long as they have a few C's and above and are genuinely interested in the subject with some extra work to show. (Him explaining his circumstances could help.)

There's also something called an Access course where no qualifications are required - he just has to be interested and enthusiastic about the subject! Access courses are specifically for adult learners wanting to get back into education possibly progressing to higher education (a degree)

Hope that helps!

Bee :h:
Foundation years are explained in this FAQ thread.
Original post by -Venus

Most foundation degrees will require some form of level 3 qualification. As suggested up thread an access course might be the best option for him.

He may be able to find a foundation year that will accept him, but it's unlikely that this will be possible via clearing. However, it is possible that he could find an access course for September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending