The Student Room Group

Failed AS level?

So results day is tomorrow and I wanna be prepared for the worst.
I will get straight to the point. If I failed my AS biology, got a U,(and of course Im gonna retake the AS units) my school won't allow me to carry on A2, but I need to, So is there any other way I can still do it? My friend mentioned something about just sitting the exam, without attending any lessons and private candidates?

Can someone please give me some advice?
Reply 1
Anyone??
You can self-teach the A2 Biology and then sit the exam as a private candidate, but that's not a decision you should take lightly. If you're going to get a U at AS then perhaps you need to consider whether continuing to A2 is really a good idea - that's why your college doesn't allow AS-A2 progression if you fail.
Original post by Olivia009
I will get straight to the point. If I failed my AS biology, got a U,(and of course Im gonna retake the AS units) my school won't allow me to carry on A2, but I need to, So is there any other way I can still do it? My friend mentioned something about just sitting the exam, without attending any lessons and private candidates?

what the minimum grade you need to continue onto A2? just wondering.
Reply 4

At AS I took Chem, Maths, Phys and Psych and I got DUDE in that order but I turned it around in A2 and finished with CCC and now I just finished my second year of Uni with 2 modules at a First and the rest a 2:1 so I'm right on track to finish with a first and you can do the same.

Just know that if worse comes to worst then you should definitely do a foundation degree at a mid-rank university because if you succeed in that then you've nearly guaranteed yourself a place at a very good uni like Leeds, Sheffield, Southhampton, Sussex.

The important thing is to see your A-levels through to the end because a lot of people in your (and mine) position quit which just leaves them with a load of wasted time. Let this guy explain it to you:

[video="youtube;5fsm-QbN9r8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fsm-QbN9r8[/video]
Reply 5
Original post by swopnil
what the minimum grade you need to continue onto A2? just wondering.

E. I got 37/40 in my coursework so I am hoping it will get me to that grade
Reply 6
E. I got 37/40 in my coursework so I am hoping it will get me to that grade

Why so pessimitic? Did you do that bad in exam?
Reply 7
Original post by mogwai98
You can self-teach the A2 Biology and then sit the exam as a private candidate, but that's not a decision you should take lightly. If you're going to get a U at AS then perhaps you need to consider whether continuing to A2 is really a good idea - that's why your college doesn't allow AS-A2 progression if you fail.

I am already dropping chemistry because Im sure I failed. I hate myself for being so lazy this year, I literally started proper revision 1 day before my exams (I know such an idiotic move). But I'm determined to go to uni and pursue my career, which motivates me to start revising from day1 next year, and Im not just saying.. :redface:
I definitely learnt from this huge mistake..
Reply 8
Original post by SCAR H
Why so pessimitic? Did you do that bad in exam?

Yes, yes I did..:frown: I thought I did good on the long markers, but after handing in the paper I realised that I wrote about the wrong things. Very typical of me.
I am already dropping chemistry because Im sure I failed. I hate myself for being so lazy this year, I literally started proper revision 1 day before my exams (I know such an idiotic move). But I'm determined to go to uni and pursue my career, which motivates me to start revising from day1 next year, and Im not just saying.. :redface:

Don't hate yourself, we all make mistakes. If you're determined to go to uni then you'll probably go, even if it means it takes you a bit longer or you have to work very hard. It doesn't feel like it at our age but there are more important things in life than exams and grades. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:

Well, don't revise from day 1 but a good time to start us a few weeks before Easter
Reply 11
Got a D in biology and E in chemistry :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest