The Student Room Group

Really lonely after finishing uni

I finished my degree last year, however a lot of my friends were doing Masters/4th years so uni life carried on for another year. Now everyone has moved on and i'm completely alone. I have my own flat and it's just so lonely.

Nobody from uni has bothered to keep in touch aside from my best friend, who i've been talking to pretty much 24/7 because she's the only thing that cheers me up and she's really struggling too. I hate being this clingy and dependent on her. I went on holiday with her and her boyfriend and when I left I couldn't stop crying for like 4 days afterwards cos I was so upset about having to go home.

She doesn't really have any friends where she lives either but at least she has her partner to be with constantly, i'd give anything to have someone like that in my life but that's never going to happen. It really sucks seeing everyone I know all loved up whilst i'll end up starring in a sequel to the 40 year old virgin.

I have a good job in the Financial sector which pays well but there isn't really any scope for making friends there and outside of that I don't do anything. I'm on annual leave at the moment and haven't spoken to or seen another person since I got back from holiday... 10 days ago! I've been so upset i've just lost motivation to even do basic things like shower, shave or eat regularly.

All I want is just to meet a few more people but I just can't see how anything will ever change. I know that there are a lot of graduates in a worse position than me but i'm struggling to find anything to be positive about at the moment... :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Go on tinder. It's soooo easy to get sex on there. I don't even have any muscles (never go gym) and I could get with 7 girls a week easily if I wanted.
Are you male or female?
Reply 3
I kinda feel same except I dont have a job and living with family I think you should try to think positive and be more social try to go new places new courses thats kinda my plan
Original post by elohssa_33
Go on tinder. It's soooo easy to get sex on there. I don't even have any muscles (never go gym) and I could get with 7 girls a week easily if I wanted.

It is about the relationship for the OP, not the intercourse. :colonhash:
Original post by sr90
I finished my degree last year, however a lot of my friends were doing Masters/4th years so uni life carried on for another year. Now everyone has moved on and i'm completely alone. I have my own flat and it's just so lonely.

Nobody from uni has bothered to keep in touch aside from my best friend, who i've been talking to pretty much 24/7 because she's the only thing that cheers me up and she's really struggling too. I hate being this clingy and dependent on her. I went on holiday with her and her boyfriend and when I left I couldn't stop crying for like 4 days afterwards cos I was so upset about having to go home.

She doesn't really have any friends where she lives either but at least she has her partner to be with constantly, i'd give anything to have someone like that in my life but that's never going to happen. It really sucks seeing everyone I know all loved up whilst i'll end up starring in a sequel to the 40 year old virgin.

I have a good job in the Financial sector which pays well but there isn't really any scope for making friends there and outside of that I don't do anything. I'm on annual leave at the moment and haven't spoken to or seen another person since I got back from holiday... 10 days ago! I've been so upset i've just lost motivation to even do basic things like shower, shave or eat regularly.

All I want is just to meet a few more people but I just can't see how anything will ever change. I know that there are a lot of graduates in a worse position than me but i'm struggling to find anything to be positive about at the moment... :frown:

Hey. Sorry to hear that :frown: Have you ever heard of meetup.com? There are a couple of similar ones around too i believe. It's a great way to meet people that have the same interests as you. I've used it to find sport/exercise groups - we meet up informally and play netball or whatever, but there's soooo much on there, definitely not all sporty. Equally if you can't find anything that suits you, you can always start a group. Might be a good start?
Original post by william walker
It is about the relationship for the OP, not the intercourse. :colonhash:

You can get relationships in tinder as well :smile: You can even punch above your weight if you go that route (not going to happen on hookup route though)
Bro, look. You've done the hard bit. You've got your degree and now a good-paying job (which you hopefully enjoy)

Now you just gotta get out there and let yourself go and get with the gyaldem and mandems

Go out and join clubs, sports etc whatever
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by sr90

Why isn't there scope to make friends at your job?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey man sorry to hear you are going through this, happens to the best of us! Surely there are ways to socialize in your free time! Why don't you join a sports/ activity club to make new acquaintances? You seem fairly popular in this site so I bet you can easily be IRL too :tongue: Good luck in the future
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Male or female?
You could always meet people of TSR by arranging a meet up?
Original post by sr90

Mate... That ****s rough.
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
Mate... That ****s rough.

Tragic isn't it. I feel confident around them and it's nice to feel included which is something I don't get from anyone else.

Original post by justag
Why isn't there scope to make friends at your job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

People are friendly at work but outside of it they all have their own social circles and their own lives. Most are in relationships and a few are even married. My best friend did a placement year and she met someone else in a similiar situation, they became good friends and it went from there, I'd love something like that to happen to me but i just can't see it.

I get along with everyone but I wouldn't say I have friends there, i'm the guy who awkwardly eats lunch alone at his desk. I started in a group of 10 people and they've all settled in so much better than me.
Original post by sr90
Tragic isn't it. I feel confident around them and it's nice to feel included which is something I don't get from anyone else.

People are friendly at work but outside of it they all have their own social circles and their own lives. Most are in relationships and a few are even married. My best friend did a placement year and she met someone else in a similiar situation, they became good friends and it went from there, I'd love something like that to happen to me but i just can't see it.

I get along with everyone but I wouldn't say I have friends there, i'm the guy who awkwardly eats lunch alone at his desk. I started in a group of 10 people and they've all settled in so much better than me.

We should get drunk together. :lol:
Reply 14
Original post by sr90

That's my fear when I start :/ are they all much older than you?

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90

Not the best advice but by the sounds of it the solutions are:

- Try and make friends at your workplace, even if they are married or already have social circles doesn't mean you can't be friends or try to join their social circles! Join them for work drinks or any social things they do together, I'm sure they've offered and if they haven't it's probably because they think you're not interested or try to join in somehow.

- If the social atmosphere really is that bad or is literally dead, then consider finding another job possibly. Obviously not a quick solutions, nor one you should just do straight away. But you could be happier at an alternative workplace. Risky and it is hard to get jobs so something you shouldn't jump in to straight away but consider it. Many people who start to find their social circle at their job poor or unfriendly often try to find other jobs and then are a lot happier at another, different workplace (sometimes even in other sectors, sometimes the job itself is the problem but that's a whole other thing).

- Learn to be independent and have a small circle of 1 or 2 friends only, enjoy your own company!

Best wishes. :h:
Reply 16
Original post by yellowcopter
Not the best advice but by the sounds of it the solutions are:

- Try and make friends at your workplace, even if they are married or already have social circles doesn't mean you can't be friends or try to join their social circles! Join them for work drinks or any social things they do together, I'm sure they've offered and if they haven't it's probably because they think you're not interested or try to join in somehow.

- If the social atmosphere really is that bad or is literally dead, then consider finding another job possibly. Obviously not a quick solutions, nor one you should just do straight away. But you could be happier at an alternative workplace. Risky and it is hard to get jobs so something you shouldn't jump in to straight away but consider it. Many people who start to find their social circle at their job poor or unfriendly often try to find other jobs and then are a lot happier at another, different workplace (sometimes even in other sectors, sometimes the job itself is the problem but that's a whole other thing).

- Learn to be independent and have a small circle of 1 or 2 friends only, enjoy your own company!

Best wishes. :h:

This is the only decent advice I've seen here. I've tried the club route, it doesn't work. The activity based ones only meet up once a week if even that which really isn't enough time to make friends and the "just meet up for a chat" clubs are full of either old people or autistic young people because these are the only two groups who need help making friends.

I suppose this thread is a daily reminder that making friends at university isn't as easy as you think.
Original post by Plutonian
I suppose this thread is a daily reminder that making friends at university isn't as easy as you think.

Making friends at uni is easy - between uni and my job I knew an awful lot of people. Keeping them once both of you have to make an effort is ****ing hard though. I've even seen people who were as close as friends could be just completely fall out of touch once they were no longer living together.

I'm desperate to move to a new city and start fresh but my fear with that is that I end up in a job where i'm the only person my age and everyone else is old enough to be my parents! Plus breaking a tenancy agreement 10 months early is really hard.
Original post by yellowcopter
Learn to be independent and have a small circle of 1 or 2 friends only, enjoy your own company!

This is pretty much what I have, the only trouble is that my best friend lives 200 miles away! I talk to her every day but I know i'm being far too clingy and dependent on her, I want that **** to stop before I end up pushing her away.
Reply 19
Original post by sr90
Making friends at uni is easy - between uni and my job I knew an awful lot of people. Keeping them once both of you have to make an effort is ****ing hard though. I've even seen people who were as close as friends could be just completely fall out of touch once they were no longer living together.

I'm desperate to move to a new city and start fresh but my fear with that is that I end up in a job where i'm the only person my age and everyone else is old enough to be my parents! Plus breaking a tenancy agreement 10 months early is really hard.

If they ditched you as soon as you left university then they were never your friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending