Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well I think this time it's safe to aim for these grades (seeing as 50% (?) is coursework and speaking & listening) and English Language imo is easier. So any advice?

Also what will be on the paper? Am I correct in thinking:

Paper 1:
    Argue, Persuade, Advise
    Reading media texts (?) or is it non-fiction texts?

Paper 2:
    Poems from different cultures
    Explain, Inform or Describe

ReputationRep:
    Safe? What are you staking?!

Yeah, I'd say eeeeeeeeasy!

ReputationRep:
    I personally find English Literature easier ....

ReputationRep:
    Aim high! I never expected an A* but got one! Wooooooop. It depends what exam board you are with as to what is on each paper...

ReputationRep:
    Its
    Paper 1:
    Media Texts
    Argue Persuade Advise

Paper 2:
    Poetry
    Analyse, Reveiw, Comment

ReputationRep:
    Anybody have any tips on how to go about writing tp Persuade or Advice?
    Are there any mnemonics like SMILE for English Language? (writing that is)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    im doin my gcses at the moment and am also aiming for at least a grade B and am workin my ass off for it. i really enjoyed the eng lit exam as i was able to understand and had alot of help with the poems and books in class because my teacher is great and my teacher told me the meanin to some of the words. well all i can say is good luck and i hope u get alll that u wanted work hard and enjoy urself :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Well I think this time it's safe to aim for these grades (seeing as 50% (?) is coursework and speaking & listening) and English Language imo is easier. So any advice?

Also what will be on the paper? Am I correct in thinking:

Paper 1:
    Argue, Persuade, Advise
    Reading media texts (?) or is it non-fiction texts?

Paper 2:
    Poems from different cultures
    Explain, Inform or Describe
    The above is correct for AQA. I would advise the ones in bold for top marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    Well that's okay then, I was going to do those anyway because that's what I'm naturally better at! So lets hope this one goes better .

And good luck to you (you helpful clever-person) and the rest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    Yeh those are the ones that our teacher advised us to do to get the better marks as persausive language generally comes naturally to us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Well that's okay then, I was going to do those anyway because that's what I'm naturally better at! So lets hope this one goes better .

And good luck to you (you helpful clever-person) and the rest!
    Who me? Good luck to you to. I am sure that you will do superbly.

ReputationRep:
    i'd say argue is easier than persuade, as in persuasive language its hard to strike the balance between arguementative and kinder language, whereas in argumentative you can go all out, as long as you don't insult anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    i'd say argue is easier than persuade, as in persuasive language its hard to strike the balance between arguementative and kinder language, whereas in argumentative you can go all out, as long as you don't insult anyone
    True, true. It also depends what topic of arguement comes up. If it's something you believe in fairly strongly, then it's easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    That's true actually. My English teacher said that persuasion is a more subtle form of arguing, and so you can't be so blunt.

To persuadeyou can use these devices/techniques:
    *A powerful opening statement to catch the attention of the reader
    *Emotive language to stimulate a sympathetic reaction
    * Use of bold and varied fotn szes to gain attention
    *Humour to get the reader onto the weriter's side or make them think
    *Imperatives (commands) which tell the reader what to do (my teacher said think of it as a recipe, instructions!)
    * Short sentences for a blunt, dramatic effect and to keep interest
    *Alliteration so words and ideas are remembered
    *Adress the reader directly
    *Personal and informal tones to suggest like mindedness..."your child would be happy. I am" << Kind of thing!
    *Use of contrasts to emphasize particular points, juxtaposition..."sto smoking today, or you will get Cancer tomorrow" - an example.
    *use of facts
    *shock tactics.

That should help you all for persuasion....also think of these aspects when analysing the language. Such as the reader here uses humour which attracts a younger audience and makes us...

Anyway Good Luck everybody!

ReputationRep:
    Its been a year since I've done GCSE english but I only got a C in language so Im going to retake GCSE English language in September whilst doing my A2s. I thought poetry was part of literiture!! Dam I hate poetry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hero)
    Its been a year since I've done GCSE english but I only got a C in language so Im going to retake GCSE English language in September whilst doing my A2s. I thought poetry was part of literiture!! Dam I hate poetry
    *Only* a C?

Surely you would be better off just taking Language at A-Level? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnt)
    *Only* a C?

Surely you would be better off just taking Language at A-Level? :confused:
    English is my worst subject I wouldnt be able to cope with doing it in more detail than GCSE. Its only going to take 3months to resit english language where as A level would take way longer...

ReputationRep:
    AQA english literature paper 2 is on this Thursday. I think the best thing to do would be to analyse the poems in depth, keep on reading them and make lots of notes and understand them. Practice comparing the poems on structure, mood, ideas, language and learn the poems by heart. For the 2nd part, time yourself like a real test and practice explain, describe or inform until you find the style that suits you. Also on the anthology contents page showing the poems, make icons with labels so you know which poems are best compared with the others.

ReputationRep:
    i think you'll find that it is paper 1 on thursday???

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.