The Student Room Group

Help! I need recommendations to further my studies by choosing A-Level or BTEC

I'm seriously confused because I only have 5 months left till I enter sixth form and I have not made any decision whether to choose between BTEC or A-Level. I'm currently studying Business so I was wondering which is better for me? Or should I take both of them? Will taking both of them cause one of the qualifications be useless in the future? Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry I am bit confused as you would normally study A levels or BTEC at sixth form and you have started that you are about to finish sixth form.

I studied a BTEC and got the highest mark which got me into Univeristy and it has helped a lot with getting good marks in my first year at uni.

If you have any questions or would like anymore help just let me know
Original post by nottreece
Sorry I am bit confused as you would normally study A levels or BTEC at sixth form and you have started that you are about to finish sixth form.

I studied a BTEC and got the highest mark which got me into Univeristy and it has helped a lot with getting good marks in my first year at uni.

Hey I'm thinking of doing business btec and i was just wondering how you found it and what uni did you go to and what course did you do? :smile:
In sixth form i studied the BTEC level 3 extended diploma and got D*D*D* and then i am no currently studying BA Business at Nottingham Trent Univeristy.

I found the BTEC business relatively easy and a good entry into university.

If you have anymore questions then please feel free to get in touch

Thanks
Reply 4

Sorry, what I meant is I have 5 months left before I finish my igcses and go to sixth form. Should I take both of them though? The uni I am planning to go to accepts 3 A A levels and I thought A levels will be an easier way to get in? Honestly, I don't have any experience with A levels yet which makes it quite confusing. What uni did you get in? Is it easier to cope up with the course by taking BTEC? Thanks
It will depend on whether you are better at coursework or exams. A levels is mostly exam based whereas BTEC is coursework based throughout the year. Personally I think that BTEC's are easier and therefore this would make it easier with getting into uni. Just be careful though as a small amount of uni's might not accept BTEC's. I got accepted to all of my universities but i decided to go to Nottingham Trent.

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions just let me know
Reply 6
It will depend on whether you are better at coursework or exams. A levels is mostly exam based whereas BTEC is coursework based throughout the year. Personally I think that BTEC's are easier and therefore this would make it easier with getting into uni. Just be careful though as a small amount of uni's might not accept BTEC's. I got accepted to all of my universities but i decided to go to Nottingham Trent.

Hope this helps, if you have anymore questions just let me know

What business course did you take for your BTEC? And mainly what did you study at class like did they teach you some theories too or was it just plain coursework, what kind of coursework did you do and do you receive extra credits at your uni for taking BTEC? Which universities do you think do not accept BTEC and why? Sorry if I'm asking much, I'm really unequipped right now. Thanks!
I did the extended diploma in business that consisted of 18 units. The classes consisted of going through the theories as a class and then going to the coursework on our own by applying the theories to the task.

I am not sure which uni's will not take BTEC you will have to do the research and see whether the ones you are interested in accept them. Most of the unis do so I wouldnt really worry

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply