Infected Cartilage Piercing

Watch
fangirlaf
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I think my cartilage piercing is infected, I know you're all gonna say you shouldn't have done this but I pierced it myself, I bought sterilised piercing needles online. I had previously pierced my ear myself before using a sewing needle and it went fine but I took the stud out because I couldn't sleep on my side which was annoying me.
Anyway, this piercing was fine up until yesterday evening when I changed the ordinary ear lobe stud in my cartilage to an actual cartilage bar. It is swollen to the point that the whole of the bar is covered by my ear, none of it is showing. I wash it with a cotton bud using hot water and salt, and make sure to dry it afterwards as I know that getting it wet is usually what causes infection.
What can I do to stop the swelling and hopefully prevent infection?
Thanks!
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
pics?
fangirlaf
Rep:
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1439407985.260653.jpg
Views: 3226
Size:  150.3 KB here you go

Posted from TSR Mobile
fangirlaf
Rep:
(Original post by Proxenus)
pics?
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1439408235.762953.jpg
Views: 1868
Size:  150.4 KB here you go, sorry forgot to quote you before

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fangirlaf)
x
Mine got infected after being ripped in a mosh pit.

Apply a hot (as hot as you can stand) compress to draw out any puss, then swab with tea tree oil which will clean and reduce pain.

Repeat several times a day,
Proxenus
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hard to see the swelling but you could consider using those small, plastic, transparent, subtle rods that keeps the hole existing?
fangirlaf
Rep:
(Original post by Reue)
Mine got infected after being ripped in a mosh pit.

Apply a hot (as hot as you can stand) compress to draw out any puss, then swab with tea tree oil which will clean and reduce pain.

Repeat several times a day,
I don't have tea tree oil, what could I use instead? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
fangirlaf
Rep:
(Original post by Proxenus)
Hard to see the swelling but you could consider using those small, plastic, transparent, subtle rods that keeps the hole existing?
The red bit is where it's swollen, usually it's really sort of in? (Idk how to explain it) but it's a lot different now. How are they any different to what I have at the moment? Do they prevent infection?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't have tea tree oil, what could I use instead? Thanks
So obtain some? It'll be sold in Boots or similar for pretty cheap.
fangirlaf
Rep:
(Original post by Reue)
So obtain some? It'll be sold in Boots or similar for pretty cheap.
Okay, thank you very much

Posted from TSR Mobile
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Get some TCP on it. Works a dream, for everything.
fangirlaf
Rep:
(Original post by DiddyDec)
Get some TCP on it. Works a dream, for everything.
What's that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
DiddyDec01
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
What's that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bog standard disinfectant. The only thing you need for a whole host of ailments.
GeorgiaAnnBeal
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Are you sure it's infected? I've had seven piercings and they all swell from time to time, especially when I change jewellery. My trusted piercer said that you will have no doubt when you have an infection, and it will feel hot and there will be puss etc. Either way, to keep it clean use sea or rock salt and water to clean it (household salt is said to aggravate it further due to the additives in some cases) and tea tree oil to get rid of infection. Most of all don't worry about it😊!

Posted from TSR Mobile
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, is it hot? Is there puss? That's infection.

Still swelling's not good. I got mine done professionally at the weekend and have had plenty before and never had significant swelling. If I were you I'd pop into a studio for advice so someone can look at it properly for you- admit you did it yourself but tell them you've learned your lesson (even if you haven't really).
3LucyKate
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by fangirlaf;[url="tel:58403389")
58403389[/url]]I don't have tea tree oil, what could I use instead? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have 12 piercings, and 6 of them are cartilage. I've always used hot salty water and Savlon spray. You can buy Savlon spray from any Asda, Boots, Tesco, or any pharmacy☺️
twdgurl93
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
I got my tea tree oil at dollar general
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (99)
34.98%
Yes - a trusted person (78)
27.56%
No (75)
26.5%
I'm not sure (31)
10.95%

Watched Threads