The Student Room Group

Is it a bad idea to get a job whilst I'm doing retakes and A2s?

I am doing retakes about 6 extra papers and then doing A2s (bio, chem and maths) and I am aiming for straight A's. Do you think it would be a bad idea to get a job even if its a part time? Or is it manageable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by playinghouse
I am doing retakes about 6 extra papers and then doing A2s (bio, chem and maths) and I am aiming for straight A's. Do you think it would be a bad idea to get a job even if its a part time? Or is it manageable?

You're the only one who can answer this really since nobody else knows how good your time management skills are but it looks like a bad idea to me. I certainly wouldn't want to do that!
Original post by Plagioclase
You're the only one who can answer this really since nobody else knows how good your time management skills are but it looks like a bad idea to me. I certainly wouldn't want to do that!

hmmm i probably cant :lol:
For me it would be.

I would find it difficult to come back from a Job and actually do work. To me, revising is almost like working, therefore I would take the time I was at work, out of my revision time.

If you want straight As, I would probably not take the part time Job. To be honest, focus on your A levels now and they will pay you back in the future.
Reply 4

oh my god, i am in the same position as yours, what exam board are you doing?
Original post by examrush
oh my god, i am in the same position as yours, what exam board are you doing?

Edexcel for everything. hbu?

good luck for tomro!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Yellow636
For me it would be.

I would find it difficult to come back from a Job and actually do work. To me, revising is almost like working, therefore I would take the time I was at work, out of my revision time.

If you want straight As, I would probably not take the part time Job. To be honest, focus on your A levels now and they will pay you back in the future.

okay thanks :smile:
Reply 7
I was considering taking a job maybe the first few months of Y13 but haveing second thoughts now
Reply 8

good luck for tomro!

thanks you too, i'm doing edexcel bio and maths and aqa chem, how did you find your bio exams?
i wouldn't know how to survive if i got a job on top of that
thanks you too, i'm doing edexcel bio and maths and aqa chem, how did you find your bio exams?

Biology is the only exam that I think I actually aced tbh. Its the only one I'm kinda confident that I'm not gonna retake and that I probably got a B or even an A if I am lucky. Cramming only works for Biology kids (literally night before stuff). For all the other subjects, its does not work... not in the ****ing slightest :frown:

good luck for tomro!

Same position of you :biggrin:. Might have to give up watching TV
Original post by FlyingNinja1
Same position of you :biggrin:. Might have to give up watching TV

I have to get an internet blocker or soemtthing. I also have to somehow learn all of C3 in 3 weeks before school starts.
I have to get an internet blocker or soemtthing. I also have to somehow learn all of C3 in 3 weeks before school starts.

we you should start a thread for edexcel bio and maths after results day, and come august 2016 we will ace all our exams hopefully.
we you should start a thread for edexcel bio and maths after results day, and come august 2016 we will ace all our exams hopefully.

there will be "official" threads for like every exam as soon as school starts >.<

I have to get started on studying too. Have to do 4 Further maths topics next year with 2 retakes probably
Wait so everyone is against this? I'm planning to do 2 retakes only but I am applying for jobs 8 hours per week. Is this fine?
Reply 17
A job maybe a distraction from constant learning and revising. It can be done I'm a parent and work four days a week plus self teaching A Levels.

Do it, adult life is about balance and good time management!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
So I did 4 retakes this year plus my A2s in maths, f maths and physics along with a part time job 16 hours a week (weekends only) from Nov-May.
I found it manageable as I did most of my college work during the week and only did 2-3 hours at the weekend.
Hoping for AAA+ tomorrow (fingers crossed).
I think you should be fine as I found A2 has a slightly less workload than AS for some reason, but it's entirely up to how you feel :smile:
Original post by Oraeng
So I did 4 retakes this year plus my A2s in maths, f maths and physics along with a part time job 16 hours a week (weekends only) from Nov-May.
I found it manageable as I did most of my college work during the week and only did 2-3 hours at the weekend.
Hoping for AAA+ tomorrow (fingers crossed).
I think you should be fine as I found A2 has a slightly less workload than AS for some reason, but it's entirely up to how you feel :smile:

Thanks!

Do update me on what you got and good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending