The Student Room Group

Gap Year Advice

So I'm an AS student and will be receiving my results tomorrow. I have the feeling that I am going to get quite low grades compared to my predictions (AAAAA). I do 5 AS levels and hope that if I resit some exams and drop down to 3 A levels next year, then I will be able to commit more time to these subjects and get good grades (about A*AA). If I apply for uni this year, my predicted grades will probably be quite low so I can't apply to the top 20 universities and if I do get better grades, there will only be a few courses available in adjustment. Would it be better to take a gap year (getting a job - I can't afford to go travelling) and then apply after I have left college when I know my grades?
I'm thinking of applying for a maths degree
Original post by NT226
So I'm an AS student and will be receiving my results tomorrow. I have the feeling that I am going to get quite low grades compared to my predictions (AAAAA). I do 5 AS levels and hope that if I resit some exams and drop down to 3 A levels next year, then I will be able to commit more time to these subjects and get good grades (about A*AA). If I apply for uni this year, my predicted grades will probably be quite low so I can't apply to the top 20 universities and if I do get better grades, there will only be a few courses available in adjustment. Would it be better to take a gap year (getting a job - I can't afford to go travelling) and then apply after I have left college when I know my grades?
I'm thinking of applying for a maths degree

For a maths degree you don't really need to do that many A Levels. Maths and further maths plus one other A Level is enough for a top 20 uni because a top 20 uni for maths would probably want STEP or AEA which will not leave you enough time to take on any extra A Levels.

You should apply for 2016 entry anyway and then reject all your choices. I applied for 2014 entry to "dummy universities" for interview practice and applied to my more serious choices for 2015 entry. It was actually incredibly useful and you may want to consider changing degree choices after next year or so (I did). :smile:

A disadvantage is that a university may want you to take additional exams e.g. STEP II/III at the end of your gap year in May/June which will ruin 4-5 months of your gap year given that you want to prepare well for those exams. Not to mention that gap years and maths is one of the few exceptions where gap years are discouraged which will mean you will most likely be asked to take STEP II/III if you do want to apply for a top university for maths over a gap year.
Reply 2
I was set in my ways about going to uni until about 2 weeks before i was due to start, and decided to defer. I was so glad i took a gap yer because it was really helpful to get a job an earn some money, and get some life experience too! I put half of my pay check away each month and saved more than what im getting for student loan, so a gap year is definitely worth it so you can save money an make sure you are prepared rather than rushing into things!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest