The Student Room Group

How long do you spend on these things per week, uni students?

I'm just going into my second year of college but was wondering how much your average uni student spends on certain things per week. Obviously it will vary from student to student, but what do you PERSONALLY do for the following...

Time taken by lectures per week
Time taken working/studying excluding lectures per week

Thanks for any help! If anyone was wondering it's because I'm trying to get a rough idea of how my time management will work when I'm there considering I'll have to juggle a job as well.
Lectures generally 1 hour per lecture average with roughly 9/10 per week .. some lectures go on for 2/3 hours though
supplement this with approximately 20 hours study outside (doing around 30 hours per week)
no job, rely on student loan .. haha

stem subject so i'm including lab time in my "lectures"
Original post by JoePFR
I'm just going into my second year of college but was wondering how much your average uni student spends on certain things per week. Obviously it will vary from student to student, but what do you PERSONALLY do for the following...

Thanks for any help! If anyone was wondering it's because I'm trying to get a rough idea of how my time management will work when I'm there considering I'll have to juggle a job as well.

First year had about 25 hours of lecture/seminar/labs a week, second year about 20. Spent like 2-3 hours a day on studying/coursework.

Thankfully I do not have to worry about money so was not required to work.
Reply 3
Original post by JoePFR

I'm studying Zoology and am in lectures (including time in the lab) 20 hours a week and spend 3ish hours a day studying, doing the extra reading and writing essays and reports. On days that I finish relatively early I'll spend the rest of the day in the library getting work/studying done to give me a bit more free time in the evening.
I did a social science course and spent only around 10 hours a week in lectures, it varied by semester but I think the most I did was 12 and the least 9, I had 3x 1 hour seminars a semester as well but most people skipped them

as far as outside the course, I was lazy and never did required reading or anything like that so I just did essays when they were due and revised over exam period... over exam period I probably spent at least a month doing 4-6 hours a day of studying with one day off a week... when I had an essay due I'd usually spend maybe 4-7 days doing maybe 3-4 hours a day although it depended on the essay, research took longer and I once bashed out a 3000 worder in an hour and a half (got a 1st on it and my overall degree)
Reply 5
Original post by doodle_333
I did a social science course and spent only around 10 hours a week in lectures, it varied by semester but I think the most I did was 12 and the least 9, I had 3x 1 hour seminars a semester as well but most people skipped them

as far as outside the course, I was lazy and never did required reading or anything like that so I just did essays when they were due and revised over exam period... over exam period I probably spent at least a month doing 4-6 hours a day of studying with one day off a week... when I had an essay due I'd usually spend maybe 4-7 days doing maybe 3-4 hours a day although it depended on the essay, research took longer and I once bashed out a 3000 worder in an hour and a half (got a 1st on it and my overall degree)

That 3000 word essay in 1.5 hourd n getting a first, prettt impressive...
But you do it on a rainy day at stoke?
Original post by JoePFR

Amount of lectures per week was supposed to be 17 (1 hour each), but running up to Xmas I had nearly 30 hours! I was probably doing about 4 hours extra per week because I'm lazy, but it showed come results time. They suggest you should work as much outside of lectures as inside, so I should have been busy for about 34 hours per week according to that guide.

Amount of lectures will depend on your course and how it's assessed. More exams means more lectures, more coursework means less lectures and more expected in your free time.
Original post by omar4
That 3000 word essay in 1.5 hourd n getting a first, prettt impressive...
But you do it on a rainy day at stoke?

nah it's not as good as it sounds, it was a 'reflective essay' so there was only a couple of references and it was basically me writing an essay about a difficult time in my life and how I overcame it so didn't involve research etc it was set and due once my revision had started and not worth much so I figured I may as well rush it off and revise for stuff that mattered, I'd already passed the module

most people did badly on that essay, think it was one of those things you either nail or you don't, it wasn't about work just having written it exactly how the lecturer wanted

I went to Loughborough
In first year i had 6
Second year 10
Third year 12?

First and second year Indid barely anything outside of lectures, just a couple of extra hours reading for seminars here and there and then cram revise/teach myself the week before exams.

Third year I was in uni 9-5 most days. My timetable was in a way that I usually had a few hours of lectures/seminars in the morning and then one in the afternoon, so I'd spend the three hours between doing notes/reading. In essay and exam times I could easily be in at 7/8am until 8 at night. I usually gave myself weekends off though, except during exam times. It isn't so bad when you get into routine.
Original post by JoePFR

In my first term, my lectures were:
Monday: 10-3
Tuesday: 9-3
Wednesday: 10-1
Thursday/Friday: Rehearsal time if needed for practical work.

In my second term:
Monday: Rehearsal Time
Tuesday: Lecture
Wednesday: Lecture
Thursday: Lecture
Friday: Rehearsal Time

Time spent studying outside lectures:
Either a full day of work and then a break, a couple of hours a day spread across my free time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending