The Student Room Group

Mature students staying in uni halls

Hey thought since most people now know whether they are going into halls Id start a little thread for people to discuss (ie freak out!) about living with much younger people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am, praying theres not as many fire alarms in the middle of the night as what i've heard there is! Where are you studying?
Universities should have the sense to group mature students together in flats.
Original post by HardbackWriter
Universities should have the sense to group mature students together in flats.

Personally I don't agree - I think it's good to mix everyone together, regardless of age. I'm 25 but I'm not very worried about the age gap... as long as you don't shut yourself off and are friendly, I don't think there can be many problems.

I'm definitely still nervous though. I'll be approaching this quite differently to people coming straight from A Levels, particularly those that haven't left home before. It'll certainly be interesting!
Reply 4
Original post by LRE
I am, praying theres not as many fire alarms in the middle of the night as what i've heard there is! Where are you studying?

I'm doing biomedical science and your self?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by carlaraptor
Personally I don't agree - I think it's good to mix everyone together, regardless of age. I'm 25 but I'm not very worried about the age gap... as long as you don't shut yourself off and are friendly, I don't think there can be many problems.

I'm definitely still nervous though. I'll be approaching this quite differently to people coming straight from A Levels, particularly those that haven't left home before. It'll certainly be interesting!

I agree with you ive been slightly antisocial and gone for a studio simply because I have mental health problems which means I sometimes have weird sleeping habits and also when my anxiety is bad and I want food id have to wait for the kitchen to be empty and little chance of people coming in lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by linnyloo87
I agree with you ive been slightly antisocial and gone for a studio simply because I have mental health problems which means I sometimes have weird sleeping habits and also when my anxiety is bad and I want food id have to wait for the kitchen to be empty and little chance of people coming in lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depending on how old you are, living with 18 year olds experiencing their first taste of independence could be difficult. Especially if you have done the whole 1st year thing before. You will mix with students of all ages through your course and any societies you may be involved with. I still think it would be unfair to put a 25+ year old in with students straight from sixth form.
Reply 7
Original post by HardbackWriter
Depending on how old you are, living with 18 year olds experiencing their first taste of independence could be difficult. Especially if you have done the whole 1st year thing before. You will mix with students of all ages through your course and any societies you may be involved with. I still think it would be unfair to put a 25+ year old in with students straight from sixth form.

I asked my uni and they said officially they don't seperate mature students but you can apply for quiet halls. Which are essentially for mature

Posted from TSR Mobile
It all depends on what uni you're at. I was at UCL and we had a false fire alarm once in the whole year in my student house (halls at UCL = catered accommodation, everything else is "student houses") . My other half (at the time) was at another university, and at one stage the fire alarms were going off there every night. as to sharing with 18 year olds, not a problem. I guarantee you that they'll be one or two who are messy as hell (normally attempting to turn the kitchen into a public health risk), but you get people like that who are older as well, so I cannot complain.
Reply 9
I'm moving into halls! I can't wait! I know I may find some of the younger ones difficult to live with at times but hey, they can't be worse than my husband!? It's my first time living on my own so imagine I may get a bit drunk on independence at the start! Or alcohol....... :tongue:
I think people underestimate how mature 18 year olds can be. When I was 18... yeah, I could get a bit too messy on a night out, but generally I was mature and respectful. If anything I'm louder and more outgoing now than I was back then, for sure.

It's not necessarily about age, more about maturity and the people themselves. I think there should be an option for quiet halls - not just for mature students, but for students of any age who would prefer a more relaxed and peaceful environment. I just think it'd be a shame to separate people by age.
Reply 11
At my uni we had an option to go into quieter halls. It's great they offer that option for people who may feel this will suit them better! :smile: your right carlaraptor, not every young person is the same iv just finished my foundation degree and there was a couple of 18/19 yr olds on that and we are great friends now! It just depends on the individual, like anything you click with some people you don't with others :smile:
Reply 12
Please don't think I was criticising 18 year olds I wasn't at all! Most 18 year olds are quite mature I meant more it's daunting when your slightly older. I'm really excited can't wait now even going to freshers events we have Kevin from American pie playing at an American frat party

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by linnyloo87
Please don't think I was criticising 18 year olds I wasn't at all! Most 18 year olds are quite mature I meant more it's daunting when your slightly older. I'm really excited can't wait now even going to freshers events we have Kevin from American pie playing at an American frat party

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it's cool, I know what you meant. :smile: I can certainly imagine it being daunting, I'm pretty nervous myself!
Reply 14
Where are you guys going?
I'm going to University of Nottingham. :smile: You?
Reply 16
Newman in Birmingham :smile:
I'm nervous about going into halls again as a mature student having done it at 18 before already. I'm 27 now. :smile:

I'm not too interested in the whole clubbing/freshers thing (then nor now!), so I'm hoping that if I just keep my room door propped open and bake a lot, I can bond with my flatmates this way instead!
21 here, not concerned about it at all. I understand it might be difficult for people a lot older, the age gap for me isn't terrible and I get along with people easily
Original post by lledrith
... I'm hoping that if I just keep my room door propped open and bake a lot, I can bond with my flatmates this way instead!

Brownies have formed the basis of many a beautiful friendship. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest