The Student Room Group

AS Level - Disappointment

So I just got my AS level results back this morning and was bitterly disappointed. I had hoped to go to study Physics at Cambridge University but I do not think that will happen now.

For GCSE I managed to get straight A*'s however this year I only managed AABB - in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics respectively. Next year I will be dropping Economics and picking up Further Maths at AS. This may sound ridiculous considering the results I have just got but I think I am easily capable of getting A*A* in Maths and Physics, and then Maybe and A*/A in Chemistry which an a in Further Maths AS.

I felt shocked and appalled at myself for achieving what I consider pretty awful grades, I feel as though I have no goals and nothing to aspire to anymore.

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Original post by NickJanson
So I just got my AS level results back this morning and was bitterly disappointed. I had hoped to go to study Physics at Cambridge University but I do not think that will happen now.

For GCSE I managed to get straight A*'s however this year I only managed AABB - in Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics respectively. Next year I will be dropping Economics and picking up Further Maths at AS. This may sound ridiculous considering the results I have just got but I think I am easily capable of getting A*A* in Maths and Physics, and then Maybe and A*/A in Chemistry which an a in Further Maths AS.

I felt shocked and appalled at myself for achieving what I consider pretty awful grades, I feel as though I have no goals and nothing to aspire to anymore.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Your UMS marks at AS level are really important for Cambridge applications, so things are looking very shaky on that front. I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed in how you've done, but don't get caught up in the academic bubble of thinking Oxbridge is the be all and end all. Please focus on the fact that in reality, not going to Cambridge won't make a difference in your quality of life in the slightest. Things are going to work out fine for you.

Your best bet is to work hard for A2s to get those A*s, and talk to your teachers about whether it'd be tactical to resit any of your AS modules.
Reply 2
...you may be at a disadvantage when applying to Cambridge if you have lower UMS marks for A-level.
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't still go for it. Just prepare yourself that there will be those with better grades, and make sure you have other plans lined up.
Cheer up; it could have been worse. I know you don't want B's but that is what you got and you're going to have to work around it now. It could have been worse.
Reply 3
I'd go for Oxford/Imperal if you got AABB at AS
Reply 4
Apply to Oxford. Apparently they care more about GCSEs. With straight A*'s you have a pretty good chance I would say..

Quick Reply

Latest