Got CDD, rejected from Pharmacy, don't know what to look for in Clearing

Watch
Petulia
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

As the title reads, I got CDD in French, Bio and Chem. I did have extenuating circumstances which I informed my Firm (Kingston) university about but I spoke to them on the phone and they weren't helpful at all.
I spoke to head of Pharmacy and he said they never lower their entry requirements during Clearing, which I know is a lie, but now I'm worried about applying to other universities via Clearing as I fear they might all give me the same response?

I'm looking to stay in London but most unis here have really high entry requirements, and I'm afraid that even lower ranked universities like Kingston won't accept me for any other science course with grades CDD.

I don't know what course to look for now, anything with languages or science would be good I guess, I just don't know which universities will accept me with these grades now. Help?
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Petulia)
Hi,

As the title reads, I got CDD in French, Bio and Chem. I did have extenuating circumstances which I informed my Firm (Kingston) university about but I spoke to them on the phone and they weren't helpful at all.
I spoke to head of Pharmacy and he said they never lower their entry requirements during Clearing, which I know is a lie, but now I'm worried about applying to other universities via Clearing as I fear they might all give me the same response?

I'm looking to stay in London but most unis here have really high entry requirements, and I'm afraid that even lower ranked universities like Kingston won't accept me for any other science course with grades CDD.

I don't know what course to look for now, anything with languages or science would be good I guess, I just don't know which universities will accept me with these grades now. Help?
Don't just go for any old course for the sake of going to uni. If you don't have a clear plan B course then take a year out to work it out- or even retake and reapply.
Staffordshire University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Heya,

Don't be put off phoning other universities in clearing. Have a look on UCAS for Clearing lists and see what the entry requirements are

Are you certain that you definitely want to study in London?

Have you considered taking a year out to think about your options and decide what you want to do? You really don't want to rush onto a different course through Clearing if you'll only end up dropping out a few months down the line because it's not what you wanted.

Good luck and don't rush in to making any decision at this point

Katie
Minerva
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I am sorry you are in this situation

The only thing you can do is look at the individual uni Clearing pages and see what they are offering - as you aren't sure about course names this will be quicker than UCAS Course Search. Until you do that you won't know what unis may be prepared to accept.

Alternatively, if you can't consider leaving London, you might want to think about whether it would be possible to do some resits and reapply next year.
tees&north
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
kingston are only asking 160 UCAS for pharacutical science and pharmacology so you could phone up and apply for either as you have more than enough enough points for their minimum requrement
bioloves
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Omg I have the exact same grades as you and I have been rejected from queen Mary which is where I wanted to go
They said they would lower their requirements but idk if CDD will be able to get me in

Posted from TSR Mobile
University of Gloucestershire Official
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Hi Petulia,
I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. You do have a few options available to you.
Have a look at the UCAS course search page:
http://search.ucas.com/This might help you find a course that fits your needs. However if you did decide to look beyond London, we have a couple of courses available in clearing that you can have a look at.
http://www.glos.ac.uk/clearing/pages/clearing.aspx
I hope you find a course that is right for you,
All the best,
Jack
(Clearing Team)
alexp98
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by University of Gloucestershire)
Hi Petulia,
I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. You do have a few options available to you.
Have a look at the UCAS course search page:
http://search.ucas.com/This might help you find a course that fits your needs. However if you did decide to look beyond London, we have a couple of courses available in clearing that you can have a look at.
http://www.glos.ac.uk/clearing/pages/clearing.aspx
I hope you find a course that is right for you,
All the best,
Jack
(Clearing Team)
I've just finished my AS? not applying to Uni yet
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I know it's not London and isn't very high in the league tables but Solent has some language courses and they often have clearing places I went there and had a great time they might be worth a look.
somethingbeautiful
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alexp98)
I've just finished my AS? not applying to Uni yet
They weren't replying to you.

OP: check on UCAS and get a copy of the telegraph. There are other science courses that you can do with your grades but you'll need to get your skates on before the places fill up.

Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Medway School of Pharmacy
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

Hi,

I wouldn't be able to make any promises but if you give us a call on our direct clearing line we may be able to help. The number is 01634 888483 and we have a number of options available to people in your situation.
derma2019
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

I know someone who did pharmaceutical sciences at Kingston, got a first so after year 1 of that, transferred to pharmacy at another uni.
Petulia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by derma2019)
I know someone who did pharmaceutical sciences at Kingston, got a first so after year 1 of that, transferred to pharmacy at another uni.
Do you know what uni they went to?
The admissions team gave me such a tough time on the phone that I decided not to look at any of Kingston's other courses.
The only uni in London that gave me an offer is Roehampton for Biological Sciences, however I don't know much about the uni or area
samchambers94
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The admissions team gave me such a tough time on the phone that I decided not to look at any of Kingston's other courses.
The only uni in London that gave me an offer is Roehampton for Biological Sciences, however I don't know much about the uni or area
Hey,

I'm at Roehampton at the minute. I study English but in regards to the uni and the area its great. London's only campus uni, named the guardian and the times as London's best modern university. You can get to central in 20 minutes and there is so much to do in the local area, not to mention the uni's student events too.

I hope this is of some use to you!
Sam
Schadenfreude65
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The admissions team wont be teaching you though, so don't let that put you off. If you call again, you will probably talk to a different person anyway. The pharmaceutical science course sounds like a good option for you.
sbnmacrae
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pharmaceutical Science will be a good course for you as you will also have the option to transfer to Pharmacy at the end of your first year (that is if you get good grades of course).
Gav107
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i have done pharmacology first year at Kingston university and successful transferred to pharmacy at kingston uni! Any questions ask me!
username1494226
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Not to sound insensitive to your dream of being a pharmacist but maybe it was a blessing in disguise. The pharmacy field is overly saturated as it is with jobs becoming scarce. Search around the net for examples. Sure, you can try another shot at your A levels to try and raise your results but do look at your alternatives. I would resit the A levels to bring them to at least BBB(or the equivalent) and then evaluate your options. Maybe try a different degree, maybe an apprenticeship etc.
Londoner.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I don't know if this is useful, it just popped into my head but why don't you take a look at radiography?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.64%
Excited but a bit nervous (123)
45.9%
Not bothered either way (35)
13.06%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed