Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is coursework a bad idea. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe coursework is a bad idea. People may say that if u have a bad day in ur exams then u hav cwork to fall backo n, but if u have revised u won't have a bad day.

ReputationRep:
    some subjects need coursework (music, science practicals, art) also many other subjects for the experience of essay writing in real conditions. You say that if you know your stuff then you won't do badly in exams but in the same way if you know your stuff you'll do well in coursework too and it will encourage broader learning rather than just ticking boxes from the syllabus.

MB

ReputationRep:
    I agree with u on the music etc front, but it gives a massive advantage to more privaleged students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by courtyboy02)
    I agree with u on the music etc front, but it gives a massive advantage to more privaleged students.
    coursework is a good idea, it releaves the stress of doing an extra paper during all your exams and you know you have a certain mark etc etc
    plus with coursework ur teacher can help you its like open book.
    trust me iv tried coursework and no coursework and coursework is better
    also even if uv revised alot, many people tend to panic during exams or if they feel sick they dont do well etc etc... so yes people can be having bad day, and all the work done during the whole year would have gone to waste coz of one bad day.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the subject really... I put no anyway as I prefer to sit for 1 1/2 hrs in an exam rather than spend a week doing coursework!!!

EDIT: lol... i misread the question... I should have voted yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    It depends on the subject really... I put no anyway as I prefer to sit for 1 1/2 hrs in an exam rather than spend a week doing coursework!!!
    you ever tried not doing coursework and sitting that exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    I think it's pretty pathetic if u cannot sit an exam and feel sick. If you don't understand a coursework some teachers don't help you.

ReputationRep:
    I think its useful as long as people take it seriously as it makes up part of their exam mark. But i really cannot do biology or chemistry coursework!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kriztinae)
    Well I only did one coursework (S3) which is compulsory and there is a paper too... None of my other subjects require coursework... thats just my opinion... I find I perform better under the pressure of exams rather than doing coursework which would most likely be left until the last minute and rushed anyway (because my lazy )...

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pretty pathetic if u cannot sit an exam and feel sick. If you don't understand a coursework some teachers don't help you.
    well u can always come on here and people could help you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S1M)
    Well I only did one coursework (S3) which is compulsory and there is a paper too... None of my other subjects require coursework... thats just my opinion... I find I perform better under the pressure of exams rather than doing coursework which would most likely be left until the last minute and rushed anyway (because my lazy )...
    but thats it, the people that work so hard during the year and panick before an exam fail
    those who study just before the exam and pass
    that isnt fair, but then again i think people should be given the choise

ReputationRep:
    I personally believe coursework is a bad idea. People may say that if u have a bad day in ur exams then u hav cwork to fall backo n, but if u have revised u won't have a bad day.
    coursework = good i always do better in courseworks than actualexams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    coursework = good i always do better in courseworks than actualexams
    at least someone agrees with me!

ReputationRep:
    no doubt courseworks good i always get close to 100% cus you can get help and spend quite a long time on it if you want

ReputationRep:
    Coursework is a great idea I think.

It takes a little of the pressure off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samdavyson)
    Coursework is a great idea I think.

It takes a little of the pressure off.
    especiall in chemistry if ur a steve erkel in the lab!

ReputationRep:
    I can never be bothered with coursework, so i dont put as much effort in. I would much rather not have to do any at all.
    Also, providing you do put the effort in, and follow the mark schemes, almost anyone can get very good marks, which means that the more able students are not recognised.

ReputationRep:
    Bad idea, as the only difference is the ability to cheat. Why not ask the same thing in an environment where cheating is impossible? In a job someone over the internet will not help you, and the employer will not hang around while you spend ages making it perfect - time conditions and working by yourself in the exam test ability, coursework tests ability to copy off the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Good teachers can tell if people copy. I realise GCSE coursework is sometimes virtually all done by the teacher though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by supreme)
    Good teachers can tell if people copy. I realise GCSE coursework is sometimes virtually all done by the teacher though.
    But you dont even need to cheat to get these kind of marks. You can get the previous years mark scheme and write your coursework checking off each point. You can spend as much time on it as you like and get as many peoples input as you like, which you can then put into your own words. Just because a person has written something themselves, it doesnt mean that they have actually done all the work for it themselves.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.