The Student Room Group

Finding work after uni

So I'm looking for a 'real' job (what is a real job anyway. Isn't anything where you get paid in exchange for doing a task which uses your time a real job), but can't find any I actually like. I've seen a couple, but I'm disqualified by experience or a couple of requirements. Even Biomedical Science (which my degree is in), the majority are band 8a or band 6 and 7 (I'm only qualified to band 5, and a number of those say post-grad experience needed, not that I want biomed, it's bottom of the list). Any ideas guys? Already actively talking to IBMS (I needed information, haven't spoken to them in a week or so) and the careers advisors at my previous uni to help me go where I'm trying to go. Atm, I look at job listings and the majority look boring to me or don't appeal

Bored of sitting around, time to get the party started
Rather than looking specifically at jobs, have a think about the sort of things that make you tick. Do you like working by yourself or in a team. Do you have ideas or do you prefer to focus on the fine detail. That sort of thing. This might then help you identify the types of jobs you might apply for. The world of work is very varied and seemingly dull jobs can be very rewarding and satisfying.

Put your positive attitude cap on and go for it. If the job you end up in turns out to be dull, you can always do something else.

Good luck!
Original post by ByEeek
Rather than looking specifically at jobs, have a think about the sort of things that make you tick. Do you like working by yourself or in a team. Do you have ideas or do you prefer to focus on the fine detail. That sort of thing. This might then help you identify the types of jobs you might apply for. The world of work is very varied and seemingly dull jobs can be very rewarding and satisfying.

Put your positive attitude cap on and go for it. If the job you end up in turns out to be dull, you can always do something else.

Good luck!

I already where I want to go, what makes me tick (to a degree) etc, but it doesn't mater though, it's not going to happen
Original post by mine turtle
I already where I want to go, what makes me tick (to a degree) etc, but it doesn't mater though, it's not going to happen

I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. But good luck anyway.
Original post by ByEeek
I have absolutely no idea what any of that means. But good luck anyway.

I was saying I already know what I'd like to do and what makes me tick (and what doesn't), but the job I'd like isn't going to happen
Right - so if you if you can't get your dream job you need to focus on other possibilities. Sorting jobs by job title will (as you have found out) get you no where - so focus on your core strengths in order to whittle down your possibilities.

Work is what you make of it. Even some of the seemingly dullest jobs can offer huge rewards if you have the right attitude.

Good luck!
Original post by ByEeek
Right - so if you if you can't get your dream job you need to focus on other possibilities. Sorting jobs by job title will (as you have found out) get you no where - so focus on your core strengths in order to whittle down your possibilities.

Work is what you make of it. Even some of the seemingly dullest jobs can offer huge rewards if you have the right attitude.

Good luck!

atm, it feels like there is no option. It's biomed or unemployed :/

I have no motivation to biomed though. It makes me feel, I don't know, not borderline depressed, but pretty bad, to just even fill out the IBMS and HCPC reg forms. Might try your method
To be fair, no Biomed firm is going to employ an unenthusiastic, unmotivated grad so it looks like your only option is to be unemployed... if that were your only option. There are a myriad of job and careers out there. Only this morning a report stated that 8 in 10 businesses are looking to recruit permanent staff in the next year. For non-specific junior positions, the number one requirement is passion, enthusiasm and a can-do attitude. You have 40+ years of work ahead of you. If you are down about it now, you might as well give up.

Come on - perk up. Job hunting sucks. But it only sucks. And once you have a job, the rest is history. Pick your job location and get hunting. There are jobs online, job agents, recruitment agents, newspapers, trade papers, shop windows - you name it. Be open minded. It is all to be had, but it isn't coming to you. You have to go to it. Get a job. And if it isn't right for you, get another job. The future is very very bright!

Good luck!
Original post by ByEeek
To be fair, no Biomed firm is going to employ an unenthusiastic, unmotivated grad so it looks like your only option is to be unemployed... if that were your only option. There are a myriad of job and careers out there. Only this morning a report stated that 8 in 10 businesses are looking to recruit permanent staff in the next year. For non-specific junior positions, the number one requirement is passion, enthusiasm and a can-do attitude. You have 40+ years of work ahead of you. If you are down about it now, you might as well give up.

Come on - perk up. Job hunting sucks. But it only sucks. And once you have a job, the rest is history. Pick your job location and get hunting. There are jobs online, job agents, recruitment agents, newspapers, trade papers, shop windows - you name it. Be open minded. It is all to be had, but it isn't coming to you. You have to go to it. Get a job. And if it isn't right for you, get another job. The future is very very bright!

Good luck!

True. I never actually give up. Just complain horribly or take a hiatus (i always come back though)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending