No overall marks on one of the A level subjects!

Watch
Confusedmum!!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm studying... I'm the mum of a student studying Maths, Chemistry, Biology Further maths & Eng Lit

My study level is... AS-level
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Confusedmum!!)
I'm studying... I'm the mum of a student studying Maths, Chemistry, Biology Further maths & Eng Lit

My study level is... AS-level
Hiya, welcome to TSR! Is there anything we can help you with?
Confusedmum!!
Rep:
?
Yes please I've collected my daughters AS level results today and apart from 1 subject there are no overall marks. I've emailed her and neither of us can work out what the overalls would be. If anyone here can help that would be great.
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes please I've collected my daughters AS level results today and apart from 1 subject there are no overall marks. I've emailed her and neither of us can work out what the overalls would be. If anyone here can help that would be great.
This has been moved across to A-Levels, so you should get more help here

Did you have all the module marks?
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't tend to get a 'total', as it were, for AS levels. But if you add up the UMS marks for all of the modules, and then divide it by the maximum UMS, you will get a percentage. Then normal grade boundaries apply, so 80% for an A, 70% for a B...

So if C1 was 54/100, C2 was 53/100 and C3 was 53/100, you would have a total of 160. This is out of a possible 300, so 160/300 is 53% and hence would be a D (though I hope it's higher )
Confusedmum!!
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nirgilis)
You don't tend to get a 'total', as it were, for AS levels. But if you add up the UMS marks for all of the modules, and then divide it by the maximum UMS, you will get a percentage. Then normal grade boundaries apply, so 80% for an A, 70% for a B...

So if C1 was 54/100, C2 was 53/100 and C3 was 53/100, you would have a total of 160. This is out of a possible 300, so 160/300 is 53% and hence would be a D (though I hope it's higher )
These are her results

The AQA Biology
BIO3T 30 d
BIOL1 68 c
BIOL3 128 a

AQA Chemistry

Chem1 60 c
Chem2 83 d
CHM3X 40 c

WJEC 117101 Eng Lit 84 b
WJEC 117201 Eng Lit 70 a

OCR Maths Core 1 78 b
OCR Maths Core 2 80 a
OCR Maths Probability and Statistics 72 b

OCR Further Pure Maths 48 e
OCR Maths Mechanics 48 d
OCR Maths Decision 70 b

Sorry to seem a stupid but some of the marks are still confusing me (Biology 128? and Englsih 84 =b but 70 =a?)

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this.
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
These are her results

The AQA Biology
BIO3T 30 d
BIOL1 68 c
BIOL3 128 a

AQA Chemistry

Chem1 60 c
Chem2 83 d
CHM3X 40 c

WJEC 117101 Eng Lit 84 b
WJEC 117201 Eng Lit 70 a

OCR Maths Core 1 78 b
OCR Maths Core 2 80 a
OCR Maths Probability and Statistics 72 b

OCR Further Pure Maths 48 e
OCR Maths Mechanics 48 d
OCR Maths Decision 70 b

Sorry to seem a stupid but some of the marks are still confusing me (Biology 128? and Englsih 84 =b but 70 =a?)

Thanks for anyone who can shed some light on this.
The Maths ones all seem to be in order, but the English ones don't make sense.

What you have to remember is that different modules have different maximum marks. So for Chemistry, one of those will be a practical module, which will have a maximum mark a lot lower than the rest. If you have a look at the grade boundaries from the exam board, they will give you a better indication.

Let me know if you need some more help and I'll stick my investigating hat on when I get back from lunch
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (274)
34.08%
No (530)
65.92%

Watched Threads