The Student Room Group
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website

Freshers, does everyone go clubbing and drinking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hey everyone, I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm pretty local (Shoreham-by-Sea), so I'll be living at home, I've done clubbing in Brighton to death so I'm a bit tired of it personally. Living at home will make it harder for me to meet people, so these other events sound ideal! Studying Automotive engineering at Moulsecoomb :smile:
Students at University of Brighton, Checkland
University of Brighton
Brighton
Visit website
Original post by hayderm
Im not a fan of clubbing and drinking id prefer spending my time in the gym for example or casual go outs, restuarants , cinema ,etc. This is mostly based on me being a religious muslim but im no deadbeat so dont get the wrong idea haha :wink:

Does anyone else think the same?

The majority of time, people will be sat in their hall bar or uni bar having a few drinks and a game of pool or whatever. There is no reason why these have to be alcoholic drinks, plenty of people will be drinking coke or NA beers.
So glad I'm not the only one, bit bored of clubbing in Brighton so was really hoping there would different events. Live pretty local as well and staying at home, so will be more difficult to meet people, but this sounds great :smile:
Original post by Ettie1996
So glad I'm not the only one, bit bored of clubbing in Brighton so was really hoping there would different events. Live pretty local as well and staying at home, so will be more difficult to meet people, but this sounds great :smile:

There are daytime events but they wont be announced until the 14th September :smile: apparently 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hayderm
Im not a fan of clubbing and drinking id prefer spending my time in the gym for example or casual go outs, restuarants , cinema ,etc. This is mostly based on me being a religious muslim but im no deadbeat so dont get the wrong idea haha :wink:

Does anyone else think the same?

Not at Brighton, but I was in the same position when I was in freshers. Thankfully I met afew others (English ) and fellow muslims who I could count on chilling with on a Friday or Saturday night. It did get abit lonely when the rest went out, but I strongly advise you get involved in some societies...I did rounders, hiking and used to dedicate Friday evenings to goingout i.e. meal, cinema and weekends to visiting other cities, seeing friends at other Unis or catching up on work and baking :biggrin:
Reply 25
Original post by Benja_
Hey everyone, I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm pretty local (Shoreham-by-Sea), so I'll be living at home, I've done clubbing in Brighton to death so I'm a bit tired of it personally. Living at home will make it harder for me to meet people, so these other events sound ideal! Studying Automotive engineering at Moulsecoomb :smile:

Original post by Ettie1996

Ill stay in touch with you two!
Reply 26
Original post by derma2019
Not at Brighton, but I was in the same position when I was in freshers. Thankfully I met afew others (English ) and fellow muslims who I could count on chilling with on a Friday or Saturday night. It did get abit lonely when the rest went out, but I strongly advise you get involved in some societies...I did rounders, hiking and used to dedicate Friday evenings to goingout i.e. meal, cinema and weekends to visiting other cities, seeing friends at other Unis or catching up on work and baking :biggrin:

Ahh i see thats great exactly what im planning to be honest, i just need a couple friends and the experience will be complete! Thanks for the advice
Original post by hayderm
Ahh i see thats great exactly what im planning to be honest, i just need a couple friends and the experience will be complete! Thanks for the advice

No problem :smile: Just try your best not to get tempted at Uni into anything you wouldn't normally do. I became closer to religion at Uni tbh because I saw so much haram and it scared me so much. Its sad because afew people I know regret some of the stuff they did because they were just on the first year bandwagon.
Reply 28
Original post by derma2019
No problem :smile: Just try your best not to get tempted at Uni into anything you wouldn't normally do. I became closer to religion at Uni tbh because I saw so much haram and it scared me so much. Its sad because afew people I know regret some of the stuff they did because they were just on the first year bandwagon.

As for following religion i am 100% committed and im not worried about Uni, peer pressure may be abit of an issue but i aint giving in anytime soon haha. Hopefully i can grow closer to the religion too during this time period. First year will be the hardest part i guess, does it get alot better in year 2/3?
Original post by hayderm
As for following religion i am 100% committed and im not worried about Uni, peer pressure may be abit of an issue but i aint giving in anytime soon haha. Hopefully i can grow closer to the religion too during this time period. First year will be the hardest part i guess, does it get alot better in year 2/3?

That's good :smile: inshaAllah youll be alright then. Hmm personally I don't get affected by peer pressure so it was okay for me and met my best friend who thinks exactly like me so if everyone else wanted to go to shisha lounge or go and see what clubbing is like, we would do our own thing. First year was the best year for me tbh. Second year the novelty of living out wore off tbh and it became norm and although we had some good fun outings etc. it hasn't been the same as the first year buzz of doing something every day haha. I think for most people second year is when people start knuckling down too with uni work.
Basically, enjoy your first year as much as poss! :tongue:

From a peer pressure point of view, it does get better. In second year because people are used to living out and the buzz of freshers wears off and they have found their feet/ discovered themselves
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by PandoraFoxx
Your profile pic leads me to tell you there is a fairy massiv anime & manga society at Brighton if you didnt already know about it😁😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sweet, I'll be joining that then
Original post by PandoraFoxx
There are daytime events but they wont be announced until the 14th September :smile: apparently 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhhh so that'll be why I can only find clubbing freshers events atm! :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by amorsophy
Ahhhh so that'll be why I can only find clubbing freshers events atm! :smile:

yeaah same lol i couldnt figure out why there wasnt anything else apart from the AAA thing.
Original post by hayderm
yeaah same lol i couldnt figure out why there wasnt anything else apart from the AAA thing.

Yeah, that AAA thing looks like one to stay away from ngl :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by amorsophy
Yeah, that AAA thing looks like one to stay away from ngl :smile:

Haha i see it all the time i dont even get what it is just parties? Well i hope Brighton has tons of societies to join
Original post by hayderm
Haha i see it all the time i dont even get what it is just parties? Well i hope Brighton has tons of societies to join

yeah, there is a huge list of them on the SU website! It even includes a beard society and that seems pretty exciting... even though I dont have a beard.
Maybe we could all meet up some nights during freshers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by Alltimesarah
Maybe we could all meet up some nights during freshers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a great idea, if you guys have Facebook we might aswell add eachother

My facebook is Hayder Morsel
Reply 38
I'm totally up for that!
Just add: /Benja.Willis to the end of the facebook address to find me :smile:
Yeah that would be really great, my Facebook is Ettie Langridge 😄

Quick Reply

Latest