The Student Room Group

Overweight sports science student.

Hi there,
So I'm worried about starting uni in September as I am over weight and am studying sports science. Stereotypically, sports students have good figures and I am worried I wont be taken seriously. Am I over-thinking things, or is anyone else in the same situation?
Reply 1
Don't worry about it. I'm not a sports science student, and I know the stereotype, but I can assure you that people on all courses come in all shapes and sizes. Additionally, being overweight doesn't mean you aren't sporty - a trait which is far more important to your course than your BMI!
Just say your bulking
You might just have a lot of muscle and currently playing a sport that favours big muscles
There is no reason you should have to justify your weight. It's not a reason why you deserve to be on a course or not.

If you are interested in the subject then you have every right to be taken seriously and if people don't then that really says a lot about them. Ultimately in sports science you are looking at factors that influence performance and how to assist other people. Your body shape doesn't change whether you are good at that or not.
Reply 5
Original post by monobrow1
Hi there,
So I'm worried about starting uni in September as I am over weight and am studying sports science. Stereotypically, sports students have good figures and I am worried I wont be taken seriously. Am I over-thinking things, or is anyone else in the same situation?

I am also over weight and starting a sports degree. I was so worried about others perception. I lost over 100lbs and have worked with a fitness company for the past 3 years. I don't think we should worry about why others think. I am starting with the knowledge that I have experiences and knowledge that a lot of others may not have. Just remember you will have strengths others dont have and everyone no matter of their weight will be nervous 😊

Quick Reply