The Student Room Group

Awful AS grades. Not even joking.

According to my results, I've absolutely flopped my AS year. Now I'm not an amazing student, I never was. However, my targets were BBB but realistically at the end of this year I was expecting BCE since I was gonna screw up Maths anyway and because you never know with English. I'm actually aiming for a BBC by the end of next year.

I got a DDE, no fourth qualification since I've dropped Physics making this even worse. I am so deeply shocked, apart from one of the grades though.

English Language - D

I got a B in the coursework, one mark off an A but I get a U in the exam? How is this possible? I was getting B's and C's in the mocks so to get a U is just straight up stupid, I have absolutely no idea how this has happened. I may have only been a few marks off an E but that is just bull**** if you ask me. How can I get an A in English Language at GCSE and end up with this? I'm quite angry with this grade. :angry:

Music Technology - D

A subject that people believe is easy since it isn't the primary Music but believe me, you do have to read up on the history of music, recording techniques and actual music theory along with constructing productions.

I got a C in the coursework, which I was annoyed since my teacher said that it was at an A before I sent it in. Definitely something gone wrong there but goodness me the exam once again. I got B's in the mocks, and I end up with an E in the real thing? Holy sh*t I couldn't even fathom that I'd get lower than a D, the exam wasn't too difficult, as I'm writing this I'm absolutely lost for words. I'm pretty angry with this grade too, in no shape or form does any of my music production and knowledge reflect a D grade. Now I'm not saying I'm a super genius at music technology and that I should get A's but I know for a fact that I am not a D grade candidate in this area, it's one of my strengths and my work across the year is almost antonymous to such a classification. Ludicrous, absolutely no clue as to how this has happened. I was expecting a A/B for this subject, lowest a C. Not a D, never a D. :angry:

Maths - E

This grade I did expect, unfortunately. I flopped C2 massively compared to the others, but the resolution at least is a lot clearer for this subject.

(UMS)
C1 - 45/100
C2 - 27/100
S1 - 65/100

I'm looking to retake C1 and C2.

tdlr; I got a DDE when I was aiming for BCE (knew I was gonna flop Maths but hey). I don't even know if I want to go to Uni now with such garbage AS results. Should I retake my AS year or resit some papers? :frown:

Also, I am 100% going to contest with both my Music coursework and exam.
Reply 1
@HeskeyLAD
I'm sorry that you have been very disappointed by these results. I think it's important to discuss with your teachers why there is such a difference between what you had expected and what actually happened. As to whether it's worth resitting the year, I'd suggest that you consider starting afresh with different subjects if you do. There are alternatives to university that are worth checking out too. There is nothing in the rule book that says that everyone has to go to uni before they're 21!
Reply 2
Original post by Minerva
@HeskeyLAD
I'm sorry that you have been very disappointed by these results. I think it's important to discuss with your teachers why there is such a difference between what you had expected and what actually happened. As to whether it's worth resitting the year, I'd suggest that you consider starting afresh with different subjects if you do. There are alternatives to university that are worth checking out too. There is nothing in the rule book that says that everyone has to go to uni before they're 21!

I know I can do better in Maths, but Music Tech and English Lang is just a complete shock to the system :frown:

Thanks anyway, but I'm still unsure on whether I should resit the units or just start again, I don't really want to do AS again but if I have to...
Reply 3
Original post by HeskeyLAD
I know I can do better in Maths, but Music Tech and English Lang is just a complete shock to the system :frown:

Thanks anyway, but I'm still unsure on whether I should resit the units or just start again, I don't really want to do AS again but if I have to...
Starting again may be the better option. It's hard to keep the motivation going for as long as you'll need to unless you really really enjoy the subject, and part of enjoyment is getting the results you want.

As I say, have a chat with your teachers and see what they suggest.
Reply 4
Sorry to interject, but do you know which exam board you're with for English? I mean, I took lit rather than lang, but I'm really disappointed with my C when I was predicted an A. I'm on OCR.
Reply 5
Original post by G30rg13_R
Sorry to interject, but do you know which exam board you're with for English? I mean, I took lit rather than lang, but I'm really disappointed with my C when I was predicted an A. I'm on OCR.

AQA I think.
Reply 6
AQA I think.

Well thanks anyway, and I hope you're able to make sense of the situation.
I'm in the same position as you for English lang and lit, I got an A in english language at GCSE too. I also got an A for my coursework and an E on the paper - I don't get that. Even when I didn't fully understand the technique in the mock I did better, and it's the same for the rest of my AS year with the highest grade being a B in it. Remark like I am, I'm really annoyed too.
Also, I'm doing my grade 8 in the winter and managed to get an E on the paper (C overall). We're very similar aren't we? :tongue:
Reply 9
OCR too? Someone on another thead said OCR have been mucking up our grades, but I haven't found any evidence of that...
Im with OCR for everything and I had the shock of my life when i opened CDD, honestly i think something is wrong because I worked so so hard and to get CDD? I'm requesting a remark tbh
I just looked on the telegraph website, and there have been a few articles about OCR mucking up results. Apparently, they lose exam papers and then guess the results!

Article called "Schools raise fears over mistakes in A-level marks"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by G30rg13_R
I just looked on the telegraph website, and there have been a few articles about OCR mucking up results. Apparently, they lose exam papers and then guess the results!

Article called "Schools raise fears over mistakes in A-level marks"

Posted from TSR Mobile

How wonderful. Wouldn't be surprised if other exam boards were caught out later...
I'm just hoping that this is all some big mistake, and that I didn't just scrape a C in my best subject :frown:
tdlr; I got a DDE when I was aiming for BCE (knew I was gonna flop Maths but hey). I don't even know if I want to go to Uni now with such garbage AS results. Should I retake my AS year or resit some papers? :frown:

Last year I was in a similar position to you, I got BCDE and immediately dropped the subject I got in B in (English Lit Lang, I hated it), leaving me with CDE which I assumed meant my plans to study biochemistry at a Russell Group uni had gone down the drain.

However, I persevered and made my UCAS application for ABB/BBB universities hoping that I could pull up my AS grades enough to get this. I put in a lot of hard work and resat four exams and this morning I opened my results to find I had got ABB (and ABB in my AS resits too) so am off to Cardiff in September to do biochemistry just like I planned!

TL,DR: don't resit the whole of Y12, decide what modules you want to resit and proceed as normal. Even with bad AS grades, universities will still consider you as long as you make it clear you are resitting and are confident you can improve - if you put the work in, you can still get into a good uni.
That's great news! Well done on all the hard work :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by callmehannah
Last year I was in a similar position to you, I got BCDE and immediately dropped the subject I got in B in (English Lit Lang, I hated it), leaving me with CDE which I assumed meant my plans to study biochemistry at a Russell Group uni had gone down the drain.

However, I persevered and made my UCAS application for ABB/BBB universities hoping that I could pull up my AS grades enough to get this. I put in a lot of hard work and resat four exams and this morning I opened my results to find I had got ABB (and ABB in my AS resits too) so am off to Cardiff in September to do biochemistry just like I planned!

TL,DR: don't resit the whole of Y12, decide what modules you want to resit and proceed as normal. Even with bad AS grades, universities will still consider you as long as you make it clear you are resitting and are confident you can improve - if you put the work in, you can still get into a good uni.

Congratulations on your results! ABB is brilliant. Thank you for reassuring me, since I don't think CDE isn't too dissimilar from DDE, yet you worked your socks from there and it paid off!

Might I add, I didn't work very hard this year to be brutally honest but the grades I got were still just not what I expected. This is a wake-up call; I will take your input into account and work my bum off next year. Thanks again! :smile:
Reply 17
I didn't go to university until I was 21 turning 22; even then it was a foundation year. I've just finished my first year of my BSc in Psychology with an overall mark of something like 68.75% and this year I've had a hell of alot of firsts

My first set of AS results were something like DDEU; my second attempt at them were DEE. My original A2 results were DDE. I took two years out and resat some of the exams as independent candidate; went to A Level Psychology evening classes to improve my Psychology grade which was originally an E and got ending up bringing it up to C. At the end of the two years I'd brought my A Level grades upto CCD - not brilliant I know but enough to get me onto the foundation year.

I did incredibly well on that and passed straight onto the BSc. I know I've talked about A2 grades aswell as AS ones but I just wanted to show that bad AS grades definitely aren't the end of the world - even though it must feel like that now. Like others have said; have a talk with with your teachers about possible options?
Congratulations on your results! ABB is brilliant. Thank you for reassuring me, since I don't think CDE isn't too dissimilar from DDE, yet you worked your socks from there and it paid off!

Might I add, I didn't work very hard this year to be brutally honest but the grades I got were still just not what I expected. This is a wake-up call; I will take your input into account and work my bum off next year. Thanks again! :smile:

Thank you very much! And good luck to you for next year! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest