The Student Room Group

Can you get an A overall at A-Level with a B at AS?

Hi all,
Today I got my AS level results; 3 B's and a C. I'm dropping the C, so that doesn't matter. My question, as in the title, is is it possible (and how likely is it) to get an A overall at A-Level if you've gotten a B in that subject at AS? Has this happened to anyone on here?

Good luck to everyone else who got their results today!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I got a B in my AS and got an A* today with doing some resits as well, so definitely
Reply 2
Original post by TheSecretSoviet
Hi all,
Today I got my AS level results; 3 B's and a C. I'm dropping the C, so that doesn't matter. My question, as in the title, is is it possible (and how likely is it) to get an A overall at A-Level if you've gotten a B in that subject at AS? Has this happened to anyone on here?

Good luck to everyone else who got their results today!

It is entirely possible - a B means you have over 210 UMS marks, and you need 480 for an A in the whole A2. That means you need to get 270 UMS in A2, which is 90%. It may be difficult though, and you may have to put in more effort than last year if you felt that was why you got the B.
Reply 3
Are you not thinking about resitting anything? I got a B in maths and physics last year, I retook one physics paper and all of my maths papers and came out with an A* overall in both.

It really depends what your UMS is as if you have a high B you won't need to do as much work at A2

But to answer your question yes you can get an A overall with B at AS
Indeed :smile: you can also get an A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alex621
Are you not thinking about resitting anything? I got a B in maths and physics last year, I retook one physics paper and all of my maths papers and came out with an A* overall in both.

It really depends what your UMS is as if you have a high B you won't need to do as much work at A2

But to answer your question yes you can get an A overall with B at AS

I was thinking of resitting some possibly (in every case I got an A on one Unit and a C on the other, so a B overall), although I worry that resitting three papers is too much.
Original post by Changing Skies
Indeed :smile: you can also get an A*!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You cant get an A* if you have a B at AS
Reply 7
Original post by A level sufferer

why ;o

Yes you can.
Original post by Yousf
why ;o

To get an A* you need at least an A at AS and then you need to get the equivalent of 90 UMS average to get the A* at A2 so you could get a high B at AS and get 100% at A2 and it would still only be an A

Why are you chatting rubbish please
Original post by Heisenberg97
Yes you can.

Unless you resit, you cant get an A star at A level if you have less than an A at AS
To get an A* you need at least an A at AS and then you need to get the equivalent of 90 UMS average to get the A* at A2 so you could get a high B at AS and get 100% at A2 and it would still only be an A

That is also false.
Reply 13
OP you need 90 UMS average at A2 and 80 UMS average overall (i.e. including AS and A2). Technically you can get an A* at A2 even if you have a C at AS though it'll be very hard.

Plain and simple.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vd12345
Why are you chatting rubbish please

OCR made a brochure esc to explain. Read it

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16356-a-level-a-frequently-asked-questions.pdf

You do not need an A at AS. You need 80% over the whole A level with a 90% average at A2. So, if you got 140/200 (a B) and 190/200 at A2, that would be 330/400, which meets the criteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16

Can you not read?

'The A* at A Level is awarded to candidates who achieve a grade A on the A Level overall (80%), and who also achieve atleast 90% on the uniform mark scale across their A2 units'.

I'd honestly suggest for you to not post again.
Unless you resit, you cant get an A star at A level if you have less than an A at AS

You need over 90% average at A2 and over 80% average over both A2 and AS, meaning you could get 60% C at AS and still get an A* if you get 100% at A2.
Reply 18
Yes you absolutely can

I got a D in AS maths last year and today I came out with an A*
Original post by Changing Skies
You do not need an A at AS. You need 80% over the whole A level with a 90% average at A2. So, if you got 140/200 (a B) and 190/200 at A2, that would be 330/400, which meets the criteria.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay my bad, My school had presented it as 80 ums at AS. I apologise for the misinformation

Quick Reply

Latest