CallumJ1997
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is anyone else out there doing OCR B physics? My teacher said they only taught us 50% of the syllabus for AS and the rest is application which basically means only the really smart people do well, how's this fair?
Rhetorical Hips
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CallumJ1997)
Is anyone else out there doing OCR B physics? My teacher said they only taught us 50% of the syllabus for AS and the rest is application which basically means only the really smart people do well, how's this fair?
Have a read through the specification, as well as the CGP textbook and the online wikibook here. Have they missed anything out? If they have then go over it yourself.

It's true there is just a fair bit of application in OCR B physics. If you want to practice applying your knowledge (and also improve your mark drastically) then just do as many of the past papers (for the current specification) as you can, and you'll start to see how the mark schemes work and how some questions are more or less repeated each year, just with different wordings or contexts.
kennz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by CallumJ1997)
First of all, it's not fair, but spend the time Most people use to moan about It, and put the work in (sorry if its a bit mean). Ditch the useless textbook provided by OCR, the only thing thats good in them is the diagrams. Buy the CGP book, but dont rely on it as It can be brief in places. The next bit is quite tedious: The best info you get will be from websites and stuff. Here are a few:
sam davyson website (bit outdated)
wikibooks- OCR B physics
hyperphysics ( the other two are better)

Other good resources are the revision guides by chapter on the CD. But the rest of the CD is very time consuming to use and kinda useless. Powerpoints your teachers use are usually very good too. Apart from this, you need to do past papers regularly, by the time the exam comes you need to know every type of question. G491 is the worst exam as It is usually where OCR put stuff in outside the specification. G492 you can revise for a bit easier. Also, getting full marks on the coursework is a good safety net. Sorry if you've just finished AS and may not need this, but these tips will make you a lot more comfortable during the exams, and hopefully give you a more relaxing summer. A2 is easier since the topics are more interesting and the exams are more like G492 so you can prepare for them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your university communicated any last minute changes?

Yes, and they were what I was expecting (4)
11.43%
Yes, and they were not what I was hoping for (10)
28.57%
Yes, and they don't change my view on attending uni (3)
8.57%
No, I haven't received any communication (18)
51.43%

Watched Threads