Disappointing but also frustrating AS results. Should I consider remarks and resits? Watch

satanicwarmaster
Badges: 12
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hjyates
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely resit the English module you got a U in. Probably not worth the juggling and stress to resit any history modules, if you REALLY want/need the B then I would get it remarked just in case (Most remarks don't get altered) and well done on your gov and politics!
Hjyates
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by satanicwarmaster)
Thank you.

I would like AAB overall (A-level English Literature, A-level History and A-level Government and Politics, respectively). In the light of this, do you have any more suggestions?

To get an overall A in A-level History, wouldn't it be advisable to resit any AS History modules? Is achieving an overall A in A-level History possible with my AS History result?
It all depends on you. I was one of those students wanting to get as high as possible and ended up resitting things to get a grade higher but in reality it was spread you thin. I would focus on smashing your A2 exams and bring the overall grade up that way otherwise you'll end up having like 8 exams like me and be on the verge of a breakdown haha
Hjyates
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have 4 A2 exams to sit (1 A2 English Literature exam, 1 A2 History exam and 2 A2 Government and Politics exams). Unfortunately, in addition to this, I pretty much have to resit AS English Literature Unit 1. I'm considering a resit of AS History Unit 1 as well, but that may spread me too thin like you said, so I probably will not resit it.

Would you say sitting 4 A2 exams and resitting 1 AS exam is manageable?

Thanks a ton.
That should be fine. Just keep in mind your A2 is your main focus but also make time for the resit. I would have that many exams I would forget about my resits haha. I assume you have loads of notes for your resit already anyway. Only ever resit exams you got an E/U.
Hjyates
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Making time for a resit coupled with A2 exams seems daunting in terms of balancing the two. D: I'll somehow manage, I guess. Haha.
Good luck!!
phyllisya
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What exam board are you?
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know its sounds tough but resit the unit two for gov and politics. Just revise really hard for that one unit, you have an amazing A grade in the first unit even a B will give you an A overall. You should resit or remark that english unit aswell then you will be on AAB which is great. Otherwise it looks like its gonna require great grades next year.
annabanana12
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Okay this is a little freaky, I'm taking the same subjects as you and got the same results as you apart from i got higher in politics but never mind. I'm not on Edexcel for English (AQA) but my teacher and I found it so ridiculous that I got an A in the coursework yet a U in the exam that she thinks there's an error in the marking. Unless you knew you did terribly in the english exam, i would totally recommend you to remark it!

What I'm doing is remarking a least one of my history modules as I got a unexpected D in it so my teacher has agreed to pay (I got a B in the other and I may remark that one with my own money idk yet) and for English I'm remarking the exam.

If my grades stay the same then I'm going to resit my lowest history module ( I need an A overall) and my english exam.
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the response.

Hmm. I'll consider it, but I really don't feel like resitting the Government and Politics Unit 2 exam. I find this unit not only difficult, but utterly boring as well. That is not a good combination.

Surely, an overall grade of B is achievable with my AS results? If it's of any relevance, the Government and Politics modules I'll be studying for A2 are WAY more interesting and enjoyable all round than the modules I studied for AS. For this reason, I have a feeling I'll perform much better at A2. I enjoyed and put effort into studying and revising barely more than half of the AS syllabus, which probably explains why I did brilliantly on the Unit 1 exam but terribly on the Unit 2 exam. I'm sure this won't occur at A2.

I forgot to mention that I don't feel my U grade in the English Literature Unit 1 exam reflects how I felt I did in the exam, so I'm definitely going to get it remarked. If the remark yields no significant improvement, then I'll resit it.
The way you want to deal with your english is 100% the best route of action.
However your attidtude towards gov and politics is wrong man. You are capable of an A* next year if you resit that one exam, surely you want more than a B.

Not because B is a bad grade, its very respectable but you seem capable of much more. Basically i think your being lazy.
converselove
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you think you performed better than what the grade is reflecting, definitely get the remark. But only if that is what you feel because it's quite difficult to judge (a lot of people think they did amazing or rubbish during the exam and it turns out to not be the case). If that doesn't bring your grade up, resit the English unit 1 and History unit 1. That would leave you with 4 A2 exams and 2 resits? That isn't a lot of exams imo. I think I had 6 A2 exams and that was without resits xD
converselove
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The unseen poetry section (20% of the marks) was an utter disaster for sure, but I didn't feel that the poetry section (40% of the marks) and the prose section (40% of the marks) were nearly as bad.

4 A2 exams and 2 AS resit exams isn't a lot of exams, no, but it nevertheless involves wading through more content than one would have to in the case of, say, 12 GCSE exams.
Well definitely get the English unit 1 remarked and see after that. If the grade is improved after the remark, just resit the History one?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

What's your favourite genre?