NimbleNeil
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
After seeing numerous queries on twitter and a few on TSR I thought I'd make a thread to enquire about this.

My girlfriend is a top English student, in the exams got a high A and somehow a C, even though she knows she did really well in that exam.

I'm certain that AQA have pulled some bull**** on the students and adjusted grades / marked improperly.
h.tbh_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got an A* after mistakenly writing that the villainous Count in Angela Carter's 'The Snow Child' was a victim, so I'm pretty ok with AQA.

Not to mention no one in my school got above a C in the coursework we submitted for our OCR History A, which people were pissed about. By comparison, AQA are saints in my book.
NimbleNeil
Rep:
?
That actually supports my point rather than disputes it... they failed to notice an error and awarded you top marks anyway?
Guardianbright
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hi guys check out this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post58505159
English lit is the main issue here
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by h.tbh_)
I got an A* after mistakenly writing that the villainous Count in Angela Carter's 'The Snow Child' was a victim, so I'm pretty ok with AQA.

Not to mention no one in my school got above a C in the coursework we submitted for our OCR History A, which people were pissed about. By comparison, AQA are saints in my book.
I also got an A*, with higher UMS than I got last year! (Well done man!)

(Original post by NimbleNeil)
That actually supports my point rather than disputes it... they failed to notice an error and awarded you top marks anyway?
No it doesn't, that is a tiny mistake and won't significantly effect any grade. Maybe your GF should get a remark, but she can't possibly 'know' she did well - people are often surprised by their results.
ewil
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I had been getting strong A's in practice essays, but came out JUST getting a B in the Literature LITA1B paper from AQA (AS not A2). Really doesn't sit right with me, I felt good about the exam and I had contrasting full UMS coursework, so it's really two unexpectedly different ends of the scale! I might remark, I'm not sure...if I don't remark I'll probably resit though.
Guardianbright
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you mentioned that you did see other TSR threads so apologies if you have seen this already
NimbleNeil
Rep:
?
(Original post by tomfailinghelp)
I also got an A*, with higher UMS than I got last year! (Well done man!)

No it doesn't, that is a tiny mistake and won't significantly effect any grade. Maybe your GF should get a remark, but she can't possibly 'know' she did well - people are often surprised by their results.

She is getting a remark, and hopefully the photocopy of the paper back so the school can actually look at how a C is justified.
You must understand she has never done any English work less than a grade A , even a B would be an anomaly, English is her forte and it's just uncanny that after having the " best exam I've ever done" a C gets spat out. That combined with a few other reports from people on here has just lead me to believe there has definitely been some sort of error.

Well done on your A*
sammijoanne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got a U in my litb exam even though I was predicted an A ??? I could understand a C or even a D but a U? WTAF and I thought the exam went well! Another girl I know also got a U!
NimbleNeil
Rep:
?
(Original post by Guardianbright)
hi guys check out this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post58505159
English lit is the main issue here
Thank you for linking this, i'll move my discussion to that thread.
NimbleNeil
Rep:
?
(Original post by sammijoanne)
I got a U in my litb exam even though I was predicted an A ??? I could understand a C or even a D but a U? WTAF and I thought the exam went well! Another girl I know also got a U!

Send them in for re-marking. The exam board must have made a mistake, I've read so many reports now of this. At first I thought it was an anomaly that my girlfriend had a low result but now I'm convinced it's a nationwide issue.
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NimbleNeil)
She is getting a remark, and hopefully the photocopy of the paper back so the school can actually look at how a C is justified.
You must understand she has never done any English work less than a grade A , even a B would be an anomaly, English is her forte and it's just uncanny that after having the " best exam I've ever done" a C gets spat out. That combined with a few other reports from people on here has just lead me to believe there has definitely been some sort of error.

Well done on your A*
Thank-you!

Well, okay. I think in this case it may be your responsibility to be the voice of caution, and to make sure she remembers the possibility that the grade might have been right, though. I think with all the people floating round at the moment claiming there is some sort of AQA conspiracy, it is worthwhile ensuring that she doesn't get too sure of the result, even if a mark up seems very likely.

Good luck to her and you with this.
NimbleNeil
Rep:
?
(Original post by tomfailinghelp)
Thank-you!

Well, okay. I think in this case it may be your responsibility to be the voice of caution, and to make sure she remembers the possibility that the grade might have been right, though. I think with all the people floating round at the moment claiming there is some sort of AQA conspiracy, it is worthwhile ensuring that she doesn't get too sure of the result, even if a mark up seems very likely.

Good luck to her and you with this.
That's a fair point, at the same time I need to ensure I don't end up putting her down even more by saying it may not go up haha, it's worthwhile effort though to make sure everything is okay.

Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (99)
49.5%
No (101)
50.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise