Is it rude not to tip waiters/waitresses? Watch

username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I was having a meal with someone at a local restaurant, he tips then asks me why I don't & then I told him that I thought it was completely unnecessary. The he tries to make me feel really guilty about it for some reason? I really don't feel there is a need to tip them, if the service is good just say thank you & stuff right? They are just doing their job after all.
TheReckless
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yeah i dont tip either. it's a largely american thing to do, hardly anyone really makes a fuss over it here.
vee_wuvshugs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't tip. I pay for the meal and that money contributes to their pay. There is no point of tipping in my opinion.
BurstingBubbles
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't understand tipping. Okay, so they usually get minimum wage, but do we tip bus drivers, cleaners, shop assistants, McDonalds workers? No. It should not be expected - I've already paid for an over priced meal usually, I can't really afford to give out more. I think it's rude of them to expect it.
somemightsay888
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Tipping culture doesn't exist here because tips don't make up part of the waitresses wage like they do in America. So no, there's no need to tip really.
zyzzyspirit
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
I was having a meal with someone at a local restaurant, he tips then asks me why I don't & then I told him that I thought it was completely unnecessary. The he tries to make me feel really guilty about it for some reason?
This is the only reason I give out tips.

Nobody pressures me but it'd suck to be the odd one out when they've just given a 10-20% and you're standing there, asking for exact change down to the penny.
EllainKahlo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I don't tip unless someone went out of their way to be particularly kind or helpful. I don't see any other point in doing so. I have been made to feel guilty by others who 'say' they tip regularly but I don't care. Once this horrid waiter, who served awful food added a tip to my bill (I'd been there a million times before and that has NEVER happened) and I told her to take it off and she looked pissed. So I gave her a tip and told her I wasn't coming back so she better enjoy it.
bethb1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi! I'm a waitress myself and I completely agree with you! I am more than happy just getting a thank you and knowing that the customer enjoyed our restaurant/pub. Some of the other staff get quite annoyed and consider it as rude which is embarrassing to me:/ at the end of the day it isn't compulsory and therefore it is nothing to be made to feel guilty about before I became a waitress I hardly ever tipped and did just stick to saying thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hixxi
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In the USA tipping is really big because some employers are allowed to charge under minimum wage so therefore tipping makes up the majority of the serving staff's income.

I tip if I get good service because you know, if he or she has done a good job why wouldn't I reward them? I've worked as a waitress. It sucks. It's an awful job. So kudos to them for smiling and being happy. Have an extra fiver.
sdotd
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I tip sometimes, depends on my food really
Lwin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I tend to tip pretty regularly, but small amounts. If the waiter/waitress has been nice, it's a pretty tiring job, so I'll give a little extra, though generally under a fiver.
liquity
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm a waitress and we have pretty bad tips at our restaurants. Luckily we get paid well, but we go out of our way to please awkward and difficult customers who are rude, demand things that aren't on the menu and treat you like you are a piece of dirt on their shoe, all to keep a good reputation of our restaurant so we can keep our jobs. I understand that we don't tip other people in public service but hospitality is a gruelling job with very long hours and it is exhausting. If we have really gone out of our way to get the chefs to make something special for you or we have shown you our extensive knowledge of the wine and food we offer, then I think it is rude not to tip service like that as it is not common. If we have offered you service you would just expect and nothing more, nothing less then I understand that you don't tip, I don't either. But if you receive a service that you don't normally receive in other restaurants then please tip, many staff in hospitality are on very low wages, especially for full time jobs, and the tips benefit everyone (most of the time) from the bar staff to the chefs to the cleaners. Running a restaurant that sets high expectations of its floor staff is very difficult and I have gone through hours of training for a couple of shifts a week, hence I would expect more tips for the service that we provide.
flamboy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think it's rude to expect people to tip in the first place - why should I pay twice for the same service? it's the same for hairdressers - I'm not paying you again, jesus christ
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by liquity)
and the tips benefit everyone (most of the time) from the bar staff to the chefs to the cleaners.
and the boss who can rely on customers paying his employees wages.
liquity
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
and the boss who can rely on customers paying his employees wages.
My boss doesn't take any tips for himself. Obviously not the same in every restaurant but we have 3 co-managers and none of them receive cash tips. Credit card gratuity is split evenly between staff and added to wages at the end of the month but no cash tips are taken by managers at my work
LSD
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope it is not. Not in the UK anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
paniking_and_not_revising
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I tip depending on circumstances.

I once ran into a fast food restaurant like a minute before closing time and made a pretty big order and made the servers reheat some stuff and so I felt bad and left a £2.50 tip (was half of the price of the meal).

I tipped 20% in a restaurant because the waitress, despite covering half the tables, was pretty calm and was nice. Plus, she kept apologising for being busy by getting us free bread, salad and drinks.

And I used to tip taxi drivers in college so they'd ignore the other girls desperate for a lift to college and take me and my friends even if we weren't at the front of the queue so we wouldn't be late.

I do generally feel an urge to tip even though I can't afford it. But I don't think it should be mandatory when we have minimum wage.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by liquity)
My boss doesn't take any tips for himself. Obviously not the same in every restaurant but we have 3 co-managers and none of them receive cash tips. Credit card gratuity is split evenly between staff and added to wages at the end of the month but no cash tips are taken by managers at my work
Look I've either been a student, min wage worker (where no one walked into the warehouse and tipped me) or unemployed. Usually if I am at a restaurant I'm only there for social reasons and I would rather not be spending that much money on flipping food. I aint tipping you.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
I tip begrudgingly because I don't want them to hate me , but this sums up what I feel about tipping generally
(Original post by limetang)
I don't. Its a symptom of american culture seeping into ours and is something that has absolutely no place in this culture. The reasons for tipping as in America don't exist here. All waiters and waitresses must by law be paid at least the minimum wage, and it also to me seems a bit perverse that Even in cases of exceptional service that it is customary to tip the person who brings me my food but not the person who has made it.

The whole situation in America is in itself a bit bizarre to be honest, but because the system is as it is there with service I wouldn't not tip purely because that person does need to get paid and it's not happening unless I tip.
liquity
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
Look I've either been a student, min wage worker (where no one walked into the warehouse and tipped me) or unemployed. Usually if I am at a restaurant I'm only there for social reasons and I would rather not be spending that much money on flipping food. I aint tipping you.
That's absolutely fine, but be prepared to deal with disgruntled waitresses and people making you feel guilty for it. All I was trying to do is make you aware of the amount of work and stress that goes into being someone who works in the hospitality industry, most of the people I know who work until close on a weekend don't go home until 2-3am, it's a hard job and that's why tipping is a thing, especially if they have been really attentive or worked really hard to please your awkward and demanding table of 10.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (487)
31.16%
The paper was reasonable (603)
38.58%
Not feeling great about that exam... (256)
16.38%
It was TERRIBLE (217)
13.88%

Watched Threads