Can someone guide me on how to apply to a university in the USA?

Watch
FTSE420
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I am considering applying to a US university/universities when the time comes.

I am fairly new to this topic so could someone just explain how I would go about applying to a US uni?

I have a few questions:

(1) When should I take the SAT?
(2) Will US universities recognise GCSE and A-Level results? - Basically what I am asking is if they are disregarded or not
(3) To get into an ivy-league or prestigious school what would my SAT score need to be?
(4) Is there any sort of financial aid available for international students?
(5) Is the SAT the only exam (I will obviously take A-Levels as well) I need to take in order to create a competitive application? - Do I need to take anything else to look competitive?
(6) How much emphasis to US unis put on extra-curricular activities?
(7) How are scholarships offered? - Is it through academic/extracurricular achievement or through being part of an underrepresented ethnicity etc.?
(8) How are international applications treated during the whole admissions process? - Do US unis favour US applications?
(9) In terms of prestige how would an Ivy-League look in comparison to LSE/UCL/Warwick/Oxbridge when returning to hunt for jobs in the UK?
(10) After graduation is it easy to end up working in the US or are most international applicants turned away due to not having a greencard/US passport?
(11) When hunting for jobs to many companies sponsor for H1-B?
(12) Do many international students in the US stay in the US permanently after graduation to work, or do most leave?
(13) When applying to a US uni do I need to put an application through a UCAS like system and on this do I need to declare grades and retakes (if required) for all my qualifications, including UK (A-Level + GCSE)/USA (SAT) qualifications?

Thanks!
FTSE420
Rep:
?
Wow! Thanks, that was very helpful.

So, do many companies avoid hiring international students as they do not want to sponsor a work visa like an h-1b?
FTSE420
Rep:
?
Thanks. I am guessing you are talking about STEM degrees?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (174)
14.51%
I'm not sure (56)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (350)
29.19%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.92%
I'm not a current university student (584)
48.71%

Watched Threads