foodoflove
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Straightforward question but can't get a straightforward answer! Does Oxford use AS results as part of the application process or A level predicted grades? I assumed they would of course use AS results but have been told by someone that they don't because public schools often don't declare theirs so this puts them at an unfair advantage...Daughter got an A and four B grades at AS. Hoping to get a remark on one B as a coursework module graded low A by school came back as D and this pulle
username1967813
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by foodoflove)
Straightforward question but can't get a straightforward answer! Does Oxford use AS results as part of the application process or A level predicted grades? I assumed they would of course use AS results but have been told by someone that they don't because public schools often don't declare theirs so this puts them at an unfair advantage...Daughter got an A and four B grades at AS. Hoping to get a remark on one B as a coursework module graded low A by school came back as D and this pulled her grade down to B in her main subject, the one she'd like to apply to study at Oxford. She hopes to be predicted three A grades, or A*, A, A but is now worrying about the AS grades on her UCAS...Oxford want three As. She has lots of relevant extra curricular and a true passion for her subject. I think she'd interview well, given the chance. This is her dream and I hate to see her so worried...
I'm applying to Oxford as well, and my school is a public school, and we have to declare our AS results. Oxford do indeed look at AS results, as they are an indicator of how accurate predicted grades are. They also place a lot of emphasis on GCSE results - these are an indicator of how well someone does over a wide range of skills.

I have been told that Oxford do not place too much emphasis on personal statements, and instead mainly look at academic performance and any admissions test. Don't quote me on this, but I think around 60% of applicants are shortlisted for an interview (sure it was 60%, I remember reading it somewhere)
foodoflove
Rep:
?
Thanks for your reply and good luck with your application. I also thought it made sense for Oxford to look at AS as a good indicator and GCSE results of course. However, I also know of students (my cousin being one) with straight A* s at GCSE and all A grades at A level who didn't get past the interview stage for Oxford. Also, I understand some public schools submit AS data but believe that not all do...most Oxbridge advice seems contradictory I feel! When my daughter went to the open day at Oxford staff expressed the importance of interview and passion for the subject that can't be measured by a written test.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What subject is this for? Is it one with a pre-admissions test?

She might be better off doing a gap year and applying post-A2 if one of the Bs are in the subject she wishes to read at Oxford, imho :yes:
GeorgiaAnnBeal
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've been told that you will get an interview if you show that you have a real chance of achieving the AAA/A*AA At A2. Providing that your daughter tries really hard, I'm sure that she can achieve this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
GeorgiaAnnBeal
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
By showing that you have a real chance, I meant through your AS level results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
foodoflove
Rep:
?
Thanks both - I've suggested a gap as a possibility. I guess it depends on the remark...she has been offered a great opportunity if she wants a year out. She plans to study music and got an A* at GCSE, it's just the one composition module with the bizarre and unexpected score at AS, other modules were solid. Do you think school's predictions will overrule the AS? The school is well respected with a good Oxbridge success rate. They'll only make accurate and reliable predictions because of their reputation. Today they were suggesting A's or A* and A's.
GeorgiaAnnBeal
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A gap year is a good thing if you make good use of it, otherwise Unis may frown upon one! And before taking a gap year I would definitely get the odd Module remarked and order a script for your daughter's teacher to examine to see if any mistakes were made by the examiner. If nothing changes, maybe then talk to an admissions tutor at Oxford? Depending on the competitiveness of studying Music, retaking the module may not hinder the application. The very best of luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
GeorgiaAnnBeal
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And I reckon the school's estimate could be considered more than the AS level, especially if the grade of one module is such an anomaly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1967813
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for your reply and good luck with your application. I also thought it made sense for Oxford to look at AS as a good indicator and GCSE results of course. However, I also know of students (my cousin being one) with straight A* s at GCSE and all A grades at A level who didn't get past the interview stage for Oxford. Also, I understand some public schools submit AS data but believe that not all do...most Oxbridge advice seems contradictory I feel! When my daughter went to the open day at Oxford staff expressed the importance of interview and passion for the subject that can't be measured by a written test.
Thanks Many pupils will stellar academic track records unfortunately do not make it to the interview process, and that's just tough luck. A lot of the application process is based on luck, but good academic achievements are a basic requirement and help make a candidate competitive. Of course, passion for the subject is essential.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks both - I've suggested a gap as a possibility. I guess it depends on the remark...she has been offered a great opportunity if she wants a year out. She plans to study music and got an A* at GCSE, it's just the one composition module with the bizarre and unexpected score at AS, other modules were solid. Do you think school's predictions will overrule the AS? The school is well respected with a good Oxbridge success rate. They'll only make accurate and reliable predictions because of their reputation. Today they were suggesting A's or A* and A's.
Oxford muso alumna here so if your daughter has any questions, you can PM me them and I will answer when I can :yes: Tbh I would wait if the remark doesn't come with her going up to an A. A B in AS music will not bode well, regardless of the predictions :nope:
foodoflove
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice 😃 much appreciated, will pass on info to my daughter and arrange the remark - the one anomaly was this composition module, as mentioned, otherwise her music exam record is unblemished. Gap year is a last resort but the proposals would link really well with the music course requirements if she does take this. Thanks again, time will tell!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks everyone for your replies and advice 😃 much appreciated, will pass on info to my daughter and arrange the remark - the one anomaly was this composition module, as mentioned, otherwise her music exam record is unblemished. Gap year is a last resort but the proposals would link really well with the music course requirements if she does take this. Thanks again, time will tell!
No worries. Do reassure your daughter that lots of Oxford musos take a gap year and do various things during that time, and then apply with their A2 grades already in hand. I estimate half my year's cohort were a year older than me and had taken a gap year :yes:
foodoflove
Rep:
?
Thank you, that's very reassuring! She lives for music and is lucky to have made lots of great contacts through involvement in orchestras and choirs which is where the gap year potential opps have come from. Good to know gap year in music isn't frowned upon at Oxford 😁
foodoflove
Rep:
?
Update...daughter has to wait for a clerical check on her music module but indications from staff are that this is likely to be a clerical error - phew! That said, this hiccup has given her an opportunity to think over options and she has decided to take a gap year from next summer, regardless of the outcome, to follow some musical opps she has been offered. She feels she will be in a better position to apply with her A levels already 'in the bag'. Thanks for the advice on this thread, you've all really helped her consider her options 😊 good luck to you all for your future choices and ventures!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Update...daughter has to wait for a clerical check on her music module but indications from staff are that this is likely to be a clerical error - phew! That said, this hiccup has given her an opportunity to think over options and she has decided to take a gap year from next summer, regardless of the outcome, to follow some musical opps she has been offered. She feels she will be in a better position to apply with her A levels already 'in the bag'. Thanks for the advice on this thread, you've all really helped her consider her options 😊 good luck to you all for your future choices and ventures!
Glad to hear it is probably just a clerical error! Composition marking can be so subjective though so even if it turns out that it's NOT a clerical error, she should not let it drag her down. Glad to have helped Offer of PMing if she has any questions about music at Oxford still stands, btw
foodoflove
Rep:
?
Many thanks 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (48)
60%
No (32)
40%

Watched Threads