Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I find it difficult to articulate myself so please bear with me, also I am not a religious person. I consider myself spiritual but not in the religious or conventional way.

I'm trying to discuss the issue of being in existence and the topics surrounding it. The universe is unbelievably large and we possibility exist in a multiverse of universes that are infinite in time and space, we are so insignificant compared to the time scale and size of the universe. We are in no way special from anything else, we do not know why there are laws that govern the universe or how something came from nothing if it did. We just exist because of the laws that govern everything, technically speaking life is life and there is no undermining difference between it. The universe doesn't care whether you are a human or an ant.

All life must eventually end no matter what we do. People have proposed realistic ways of colonising the universe over a time span of millions to billions of years to preserve humanity. The issue there is that even if that did happen we are unlikely to be able to communicate vast distances and over that time scale these separate "humans" wouldn't be classified as human anymore. Evolution makes all life different but the same, it's a cycle with no real answer at the end. If the universe were to be colonised it still wouldn't save us from our fate, eventually planets, stars, galaxies, universes and even space and time could fade away to nothingness.

That begs the question, the only way to escape this cycle is to become omnipotent beings, immortal and separate from the laws that govern us. I don't believe that is possible and even if it was, what's the difference between that and death?

People say the meaning of life is to be happy and to be a good person which I morally agree with, however, the universe doesn't have such concepts. That is purely a human thing, why should it matter to the universe? and why should there be a meaning to life in the first place?

This makes me wonder if there is any point in existing in the first place, Wouldn't it make sense to be in a default state of non-existence for eternity? If I had one wish it would be not to exist in the first place. I would have absolutely nothing to lose. If the earth magically disappeared into non-existence nothing would matter anymore. The universe might as well not exist. However if the universe is infinite then we can conclude that it's statistically possible for our consciousness to be recreated. There seems like there's no escape from existence.

Because of this way of thinking I feel like I've been desensitised to everything. Nothing has meaning to me and death in my opinion is the greatest thing that could happen to me. I'm not saying I'm suicidal because i am well aware that people care about me and it would be selfish to kill myself, I'm just saying that if i stopped existing i would be happy. Also because of this i don't have the concept of good and evil, everything is neutral to me, same goes for emotions. I understand those concepts and i would not do something unethical to hurt someone because i still have empathy, which i see as different from good and evil.

I have researched this topic extensively and have had only one person connect with me and understand me in my entire life. This person had similar experiences on psychedelics and introduced me to concepts such as ego death and the connection and "spirituality" of the universe. I feel like i am being limited by my own consciousness and my social upbringing so i have decided to take a medium dose of psilocybin (which is a psychedelic) and i hope that will answer some of my questions and help me achieve ego death.

Does anyone else have similar experiences to me and/or have had a psychedelic experience similar to this? i would love to hear an outside opinion on this.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore all existential concerns, acquire knowledge, make yourself more intelligent, maybe then you'll find a "point" in existence.

ReputationRep:
    I was sorta hoping for a TL;DR...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TabulaSmaragdina)
    Ignore all existential concerns, acquire knowledge, make yourself more intelligent, maybe then you'll find a "point" in existence.
    That has basically been the meaning of life up to now. Either way, i don't actually belive there is any underlying meaning to life (why would there be?) But doing as you said is the only logical substitute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobbyFlay)
    I was sorta hoping for a TL;DR...
    I cannot even articulate most of what im trying to say in language, a TL;DR would be a waste of time and people would get the completely wrong idea.

ReputationRep:
    Life sucks and then you die :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Life's not about the destination, it's about the journey and making friends along the way. The search for meaning is, in fact, the very thing that gives our life meaning, so, really, the only question that is truly worth asking is: what do you want to do with your life? So, really, the only true meaning of life is finding your own way to enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    There is no underlying meaning of life. You can create arbitrary goals but nothing has an intrinsic meaning or importance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    There is no underlying meaning of life. You can create arbitrary goals but nothing has an intrinsic meaning or importance.
    How do you know that?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely nothing, it is pointless tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Yes, this is exactly what I'm trying to get at.

ReputationRep:
    There is no particular meaning. You just live and then die I guess,I feel that way right now

ReputationRep:
    Why do you assume existence itself has a point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john pyle)
    I find it difficult to articulate myself so please bear with me, also I am not a religious person. I consider myself spiritual but not in the religious or conventional way.

I'm trying to discuss the issue of being in existence and the topics surrounding it. The universe is unbelievably large and we possibility exist in a multiverse of universes that are infinite in time and space, we are so insignificant compared to the time scale and size of the universe. We are in no way special from anything else, we do not know why there are laws that govern the universe or how something came from nothing if it did. We just exist because of the laws that govern everything, technically speaking life is life and there is no undermining difference between it. The universe doesn't care whether you are a human or an ant.

All life must eventually end no matter what we do. People have proposed realistic ways of colonising the universe over a time span of millions to billions of years to preserve humanity. The issue there is that even if that did happen we are unlikely to be able to communicate vast distances and over that time scale these separate "humans" wouldn't be classified as human anymore. Evolution makes all life different but the same, it's a cycle with no real answer at the end. If the universe were to be colonised it still wouldn't save us from our fate, eventually planets, stars, galaxies, universes and even space and time could fade away to nothingness.

That begs the question, the only way to escape this cycle is to become omnipotent beings, immortal and separate from the laws that govern us. I don't believe that is possible and even if it was, what's the difference between that and death?

People say the meaning of life is to be happy and to be a good person which I morally agree with, however, the universe doesn't have such concepts. That is purely a human thing, why should it matter to the universe? and why should there be a meaning to life in the first place?

This makes me wonder if there is any point in existing in the first place, Wouldn't it make sense to be in a default state of non-existence for eternity? If I had one wish it would be not to exist in the first place. I would have absolutely nothing to lose. If the earth magically disappeared into non-existence nothing would matter anymore. The universe might as well not exist. However if the universe is infinite then we can conclude that it's statistically possible for our consciousness to be recreated. There seems like there's no escape from existence.

Because of this way of thinking I feel like I've been desensitised to everything. Nothing has meaning to me and death in my opinion is the greatest thing that could happen to me. I'm not saying I'm suicidal because i am well aware that people care about me and it would be selfish to kill myself, I'm just saying that if i stopped existing i would be happy. Also because of this i don't have the concept of good and evil, everything is neutral to me, same goes for emotions. I understand those concepts and i would not do something unethical to hurt someone because i still have empathy, which i see as different from good and evil.

I have researched this topic extensively and have had only one person connect with me and understand me in my entire life. This person had similar experiences on psychedelics and introduced me to concepts such as ego death and the connection and "spirituality" of the universe. I feel like i am being limited by my own consciousness and my social upbringing so i have decided to take a medium dose of psilocybin (which is a psychedelic) and i hope that will answer some of my questions and help me achieve ego death.

Does anyone else have similar experiences to me and/or have had a psychedelic experience similar to this? i would love to hear an outside opinion on this.
    I see it that life is basically just one big chemical reaction. If you put some bicarb in some coke it fizzes, and you might ask 'what is the point of it fizzing?'. There is no point, it just does, and it just is. That isn't to say you shouldn't put coke and bicard together because there is no point, you do it because you can.

Same way I see life - there isn't any point to it, but that isn't to say it is useless - you live because why not? In reality the universe will end one day and everything will be gone, but while you are here why not enjoy yourself - it is all just chemicals. I believe that there is a german word for it - schitzengiggles or something like that.

With regard to feeling happy after death, that would be saying that after the bicarb and coke stops fizzing it is better off - but that is subjective, in reality it just stopped. It is no more.

That's basically how I see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john pyle)
    if i stopped existing i would be happy
    This is a logical impossibility. If you didn't exist, you wouldn't be capable of experiencing any emotions, happiness or otherwise.

As Rust Cohle puts it in True Detective S1 E1: "We are things that labor under the illusion of having a self, that accretion of sensory experience and feelings, programmed with total assurance that we are each somebody, when in fact everybody's nobody." Or, another more positive way of looking at it is that the meaning of your life is up to you - it's whatever you want to make it.

Anyway, this is TSR and you're a male, so shouldn't the title of this thread be more along the lines of: Girls, how do you feel about guys who eat Shredded Wheat for breakfast on a Wednesday but Cornflakes every other morning?

ReputationRep:
    To provide food for other living things

ReputationRep:
    I agree there's absolutely **** all purpose to it. Quite frankly its ****; I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone considering giving it a go. I'd rather not exist at all and feel content in knowing that I wouldn't even be aware of my own non-existence. But then again I'm not quite sure how you can not exist without having existed? I guess that means we don't have a choice after all - perhaps we get a shot at both? You never know, death might be quite a laugh I reckon, looking forward to it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Alcohol is the meaning of life

ReputationRep:
    That's an unfair question. When you ask what the point of a building, you're asking a question that has multiple answers. Some use it to do their work. Some use it to talk to friends. Some use it as a home. Some use it as an inspiration. The "main" purpose of a building can change over time, as new people come in or someone buys the building. Some things occur in the building we don't even know about. Maybe some girl had her first kiss there, or someone keeps their money hidden in the floorboards. Sometimes people say things about the building that are untrue. Maybe a salesman comments that the building is overrun by cockroaches upstairs, whereas really there are no cockroaches at all. Maybe a janitor warns some children that they better stay out of the basement because there are monsters down there, whereas really it just houses the boilers and it's dangerous. The building is in a city with many buildings surrounding it, but most will never see the inside of any other buildings. Some take the luxuries of the building for granted, some decide to not use all the colored ink in the printer.

The point is, there isn't one point, and there never will be. That question is only hard to answer because it's on such a large scale. But size it down to a building, and you see it's just an impossible question.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly this is as much bs as existance is.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.