Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Argh! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shushimeng)
    how comes no enough qualifications?
    I have the right ones but its so competitive. I just wonder if i should try or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    I have the right ones but its so competitive. I just wonder if i should try or not.
    come on have a go. remember to Aim High

ReputationRep:
    Could you face taking a gap year? Because if you could then why not go for med? You'll have nothing to lose and if worst comes to worst, you'll get no offers and get to have a year out to reapply whilst saving up some money and travelling. But the chances are, if you're getting good grades and can show commitment to the course, you'll have as good a chance as every other med student and needn't be worried. I was nearly put off applying for English by the competition (eg. 1800ish well-qualified applicants for 65 places at Bristol) but you've got as much right as anyone to win one of those places so why not put all your effort into a top application and go for it?

ReputationRep:
    come on have a go. remember to Aim High
    Lol could do. But theres the bother of work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Lol could do. But theres the bother of work experience.
    are u in a college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Could you face taking a gap year? Because if you could then why not go for med? You'll have nothing to lose and if worst comes to worst, you'll get no offers and get to have a year out to reapply whilst saving up some money and travelling. But the chances are, if you're getting good grades and can show commitment to the course, you'll have as good a chance as every other med student and needn't be worried. I was nearly put off applying for English by the competition (eg. 1800ish well-qualified applicants for 65 places at Bristol) but you've got as much right as anyone to win one of those places so why not put all your effort into a top application and go for it?
    There are the top up fees starting in 2006 that i'd rather avoid
    But it would be such a good course it makes it worth trying i guess. Maybe i'd have a clearer idea once i see my AS results. Med also looks for people who do lots of extra curricluar activities doesn't it? Because i don't do many at all.

ReputationRep:
    are u in a college?
    6th form at school so similar

ReputationRep:
    There are the top up fees starting in 2006 that i'd rather avoid
    But it would be such a good course it makes it worth trying i guess. Maybe i'd have a clearer idea once i see my AS results. Med also looks for people who do lots of extra curricluar activities doesn't it? Because i don't do many at all.
    If medicine is really what you'd want to do, I wouldn't let anything stop you from trying. You have as much right as anybody. Medicine most of all wants people who are intelligent, focused and committed to their subject, and if you can show those qualities you have every chance. If I were you, I'd start asking around now to try and obtain some work experience over the summer. Even if you decide against med, it'll still help with pharmacy or any other related courses. Then, when you get your AS results, you can evaluate the situation, but if you are passionate about your subject and can show commitment, don't let anyone stop you from trying. I'd also suggest focusing your PS on your love of medicine and interests in particular areas of the subject, not your extra-curricular activities. About two-thirds of mine was about my passion for English, with the rest briefly about work experience, outside interests and so on. And it worked pretty well. They want you to be passionate about your subject above all else, so show them

ReputationRep:
    If medicine is really what you'd want to do, I wouldn't let anything stop you from trying. You have as much right as anybody. Medicine most of all wants people who are intelligent, focused and committed to their subject, and if you can show those qualities you have every chance. If I were you, I'd start asking around now to try and obtain some work experience over the summer. Even if you decide against med, it'll still help with pharmacy or any other related courses. Then, when you get your AS results, you can evaluate the situation, but if you are passionate about your subject and can show commitment, don't let anyone stop you from trying. I'd also suggest focusing your PS on your love of medicine and interests in particular areas of the subject, not your extra-curricular activities. About two-thirds of mine was about my passion for English, with the rest briefly about work experience, outside interests and so on. And it worked pretty well. They want you to be passionate about your subject above all else, so show them
    Thankyou that is really good advice! I still have a good while to think about it all I gave u rep for being so helpful

ReputationRep:
    6th form at school so similar
    right then i don't think it will be hard to get a place in hospital

ReputationRep:
    right then i don't think it will be hard to get a place in hospital
    I should start writing letters to hospitals soon. Unless they are oversubscribed for work experience it shoudln't be too difficult

ReputationRep:
    I should start writing letters to hospitals soon. Unless they are oversubscribed for work experience it shoudln't be too difficult
    don't u have connections in ur school help u to do it?

ReputationRep:
    don't u have connections in ur school help u to do it?
    No my school is pretty rubbish with helping for these sort of things unfortunatley.

ReputationRep:
    No my school is pretty rubbish with helping for these sort of things unfortunatley.
    then u have to do everything urself
    but beware don't get put off if they say no the first time

ReputationRep:
    then u have to do everything urself
    but beware don't get put off if they say no the first time
    Ok well i expect they might. Theres quite a few places around me luckily

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou that is really good advice! I still have a good while to think about it all I gave u rep for being so helpful
    Aww, thank you! Really glad I could help out a bit. Let us know what you end up deciding too, you've got a while to explore your options so hopefully you'll end up doing whatever's right for you. As someone else said, don't be put off if work experience doesn't fall into your lap straight away - if they don't respond it's worth gently reminding them how committed/enthusiastic/helpful you are. I've done quite a bit of work experience in the media which is always hard to come by and persistence is definitely the key! Work exp might also help you decide if medicine is the right area for you, so you've got lots to gain by doing it, and if you're helpful and willing they'll love you. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

ReputationRep:
    Aww, thank you! Really glad I could help out a bit. Let us know what you end up deciding too, you've got a while to explore your options so hopefully you'll end up doing whatever's right for you. As someone else said, don't be put off if work experience doesn't fall into your lap straight away - if they don't respond it's worth gently reminding them how committed/enthusiastic/helpful you are. I've done quite a bit of work experience in the media which is always hard to come by and persistence is definitely the key! Work exp might also help you decide if medicine is the right area for you, so you've got lots to gain by doing it, and if you're helpful and willing they'll love you. Good luck with everything and keep us posted!
    I should do it definatley to see if medicines the course for me! And i have to do it before i write that PS.... I will keep you posted Thankyou for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazzyaa911)
    if you don't mind me asking, why pharmacy? if you're interested in that sort of thing why not just go to med school? ( curious )
    Pharmacy and Medicine are different. Pharmacy isn’t a fall back for people who aren’t clever enough to do Medicine.

Word of warning Ramaya, if you do end up applying for medicine and using pharmacy as your back up, I’ve heard a pharmacy admissions tutor say that on results day they’ll always take students who applied for pharmacy but missed their grades (obviously within reason) over students who applied for medicine and missed their grades even though the later probably have higher grades because they want people on the course who really want to do pharmacy, not medicine.

Hope that doesn’t sound too harsh, I’m just trying to offer some advice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Emmz-)
    Pharmacy and Medicine are different. Pharmacy isn’t a fall back for people who aren’t clever enough to do Medicine.

Word of warning Ramaya, if you do end up applying for medicine and using pharmacy as your back up, I’ve heard a pharmacy admissions tutor say that on results day they’ll always take students who applied for pharmacy but missed their grades (obviously within reason) over students who applied for medicine and missed their grades even though the later probably have higher grades because they want people on the course who really want to do pharmacy, not medicine.

Hope that doesn’t sound too harsh, I’m just trying to offer some advice. Good luck with whatever you decide to do
    Thats a very good point, i wasn't aware thats how that system works. I've got alot of decision making to do! Did you apply for only pharmacy or other courses as well?
    Unis can't see your PS anymore but it must be obvious if you apply for medicine i guess.
    Hmmm...

ReputationRep:
    I only applied for pharmacy, I guess they just wanna make sure they get people on their course that really want to do it cause it's a four year degree and really challenging.

Maybe you could do some work experience relating to both medicine and pharmacy and see which you like best?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 6, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.