The Student Room Group

Disappointing Grades - A Levels

As with everyone today, I got my a level results. Eventhough, I got into the university I wanted, I was quite disappointed with my grades, i felt I worked hard despite a series of issues such as a family death that happened during the year. I know I should feel happy, but I don't, I just feel disappointed and a bit ashamed, while I see my friends with stellar grades (I'm of course happy that they did well), but feel I didn't, any advice on how I should feel? Also, If asked by friends about my grades, what should I say to them?
Original post by Graham 14
As with everyone today, I got my a level results. Eventhough, I got into the university I wanted, I was quite disappointed with my grades, i felt I worked hard despite a series of issues such as a family death that happened during the year. I know I should feel happy, but I don't, I just feel disappointed and a bit ashamed, while I see my friends with stellar grades (I'm of course happy that they did well), but feel I didn't, any advice on how I should feel? Also, If asked by friends about my grades, what should I say to them?

Hi Graham,

Sorry to hear you're a bit disappointed with your A Level results, but you have some fantastic news that you should be celebrating. You've got a place at university so well done for that! The reality is that once you get into university and have your degree, A Levels become less important and your degree becomes the important thing.

You should feel proud of yourself for getting yourself through the year and a place at university despite going through what seems like a tough year, so celebrate that! :h:

If your friends ask you about your results, just be honest with them. They should be supporting you. :smile:

Congrats again! :party:
I know how you feel.
I got ACC in Psychology, Biology, Chemistry. I got into university, but just feels like I wasted a lot of my time studying my ass off, just for some average-ish results.

Just say you got the grades you needed - no need to tell people the details.

Put the year behind you and go get that first!
Reply 4
I totally understand how you feel I'm going through the same i got acc when i was predicted a*aa and whilst my offer was unconditional i feel so dissappointed with myself my school advised me to resit and even though in the future my a levels may not matter you have to do whatever makes you happy. My friend got bad grades last year but went to uni and he just completely forgot about them and got on with his course and is proving his a levels wrong. You also have to consider the harsh marking and high grade boundaries this year and a lot of people desserved higher than they were rewarded with but there is no shame in being dissapointed you just have to figure out what to do from here.
Reply 5
Original post by Charlie82
I totally understand how you feel I'm going through the same i got acc when i was predicted a*aa and whilst my offer was unconditional i feel so dissappointed with myself my school advised me to resit and even though in the future my a levels may not matter you have to do whatever makes you happy. My friend got bad grades last year but went to uni and he just completely forgot about them and got on with his course and is proving his a levels wrong. You also have to consider the harsh marking and high grade boundaries this year and a lot of people desserved higher than they were rewarded with but there is no shame in being dissapointed you just have to figure out what to do from here.

I'm just trying work out to cope with the results, I just feel the grades don't match up with how hard I worked.
Reply 6
By the time you get to uni and are enjoying yourself and are passionate about your course you'd have forgotten about your a levels.

Who cares what they got? They are in exactly the same position as you are at the end of the day, the employer cares about what you can do after uni not what you could do 3 or 4 years before :wink:

Education is not a competition its about getting you into a job. Some people who have no qualifications are more successfull than people with oxford degrees, so be proud of what you achieved and remember that there are some people who didnt get in!! :wink:

Two years ago i got the worst grade of all my friends and got into my firm but with a change of course to one with much lower entry requirements but that year I d had a relative deteriorate quickly with cancer so to me i was proud of myself for not quitting , so yes you might not have the grades you hoped for but you got through your a2 in difficult circumstances and not everybody could do that. Its normal to be disappointed if you dont get what you expected but honestly if your friends had anything negative to say if they ask their not decent friends at the end of the day.
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
Two years ago i got the worst grade of all my friends and got into my firm but with a change of course to one with much lower entry requirements but that year I d had a relative deteriorate quickly with cancer so to me i was proud of myself for not quitting , so yes you might not have the grades you hoped for but you got through your a2 in difficult circumstances and not everybody could do that. Its normal to be disappointed if you dont get what you expected but honestly if your friends had anything negative to say if they ask their not decent friends at the end of the day.

I missed about 2-3months off college due to a family death, so yeah it was pretty difficult to finish the college year, but I did the best I could.
I missed about 2-3months off college due to a family death, so yeah it was pretty difficult to finish the college year, but I did the best I could.

Even more reason to be proud of yourself you got through your exams with 2 months less of college than your friends.
Reply 11
Original post by claireestelle
Even more reason to be proud of yourself you got through your exams with 2 months less of college than your friends.

Thanks for the advice, this has lifted my downbeat mood today, I try not to think of my results as a failure, but it's difficult, what should I do now, how do I move on from this
Thanks for the advice, this has lifted my downbeat mood today, I try not to think of my results as a failure, but it's difficult, what should I do now, how do I move on from this

What i did was to forget about it and focusing on kicking ass with my degree grades, just concentrate on doing as well as you know you re capable of at uni and reaching your potential there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending